Need quieter exhaust system - Maremont employees input esp.

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
Michael Yount

Need quieter exhaust system - Maremont employees input esp.

Post by Michael Yount »

Guys - I've got a 5.0L efi Ford that I'm trying to quiet down. It runs shorty headers with dual 2" head pipes into a single 3" system a la GM F body style - muffler transversely mounted behind the axle. There may be room for 2 mufflers (one in front/one behind the axle). I've tried all the usual suspects and found them all too loud. Flow Master, Bassani, MagnaFlow, Spin Tech -- several of these have been used in conjuction with one another (spintech resonator ahead of spin tech muffler; magnaflow ahead of a spintech muffler) -- all are too loud.

Any ideas out there about what I can do to quiet this thing down? There seems to be no middle ground between factory quiet and 16-yr-old-vibrate-every-interior-panel noisy. Thanks in advance for thinking out loud with me. Oh, I can manage about a 20"X11"X5" muffler in the back.
82 Volvo 242 5.0L efi Ford/5 speed; 2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200
DarthMazda

Post by DarthMazda »

one word-Vortex

Can you fit two Flowmaster size mufflers? The Vortex muffler is much quieter than those others and out flows them easily. It still has a little rumble but much softer.
Matt Graves
93 BMW 325
83 RX-7 -5.0L

www.americanpowertrain.com
Michael Yount

Post by Michael Yount »

Did a search and found Arvin-Meritor's site; unfortunately I couldn't find any specific information on a "Vortex" brand, nor could I find any specific dimensional info, or info about how their performance mufflers are constructed. Do you have any specific sites/sources with more info on the Vortex mufflers? Also, not sure I understand your question about room for 2 mufflers - mine's a single system. Did you mean two mufflers in series?
82 Volvo 242 5.0L efi Ford/5 speed; 2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200