Biggest surprise in ETR this year

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
PushinTheLimit

Biggest surprise in ETR this year

Post by PushinTheLimit »

Just for something to talk about... what or who has been the biggest surprise to you in the ETR region? This should be interesting.

I haven't been here all that long, but James in the 350Z is the biggest to me. He just seemed to come out of nowhere and BAM, gets FTD at the last Bristol event. He's driven well all year and should be going to some national events next year for sure.

I surprised my own self earlier this year by selling my cobra. When I bought it, I said I never would sell it no matter what. Took one ride in Eric's Z06 and it was over for me. :lol:

So what has surprised you the most this year?
Michael Smith
C5 Z06
ST2 #10
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

sts being owned by a Saturn, now that's a surprise anyway you look at it. A KIA not getting last in every event? haha.
-Gary Mitchell
Custom Magnet Numbers and Vinyl Graphics! | Unofficial Points Standings
01' Honda S2000 -99 BSR
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
99' F250 Super Duty
91' SVT GEO Metro (24HhoursOfLemons!)
steverife

Post by steverife »

No comment on my biggest surprise. :lol:

I missed it, but I'd have to say Randy Pobst showing up.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
TennTechMan

Post by TennTechMan »

Beating a KIA by .001 sec to finish 2nd in STS a couple events back.

Seeing the Saturn dominate STS the first several events, then dominate SM in the same car. Surprising.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

Had I not seen him run it last year, John + Saturn would have been a big surprise this year...in light of last year, kinda saw that coming :)

It would be interesting to see how PAX competitive Miss Joyner would have been with R-tires.

I'd say something about Mr. Lewis & Mr. Smith...but driving a Z06 kinda kills the "surprise" for me when you're fast (call it jealousy) :twisted:

I was surprised that the diesel VW was as quick as it was...then I realized that Ted could probably manage a top 10 PAX in an Isetta. (Taking nothing away from the VW of course)

Yeah, I'd probably have to give it to James. n00b to FTD in one season is impressive any way you cut it.

(Although, I agree with Rife that the celebrity cameo at the first event was pretty cool)
steverife

Post by steverife »

Yeah, James, Eric, Michael, etc didn't surprise me one bit.... the cars are great and they can handle them. 2+2 = fast

edit: ...and they've committed themselves to getting fast and have worked hard.
Last edited by steverife on Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
BOBOMOFO

Post by BOBOMOFO »

+1 to James and his driving.....what an improvment.......but the most surprising is his ability to post 100 times a month.....that my friends takes skill! Now where did I lay my 285/35R18's??
97' M3
2009 STU Regional Champ.......
Budman

Post by Budman »

I'd have to give a check mark to a certain red MR2 turbo that came out and took BS by storm this year. Nice job! :wink:
GySgt/USMC/Retired
Green 1996 Saturn SC-2
#94 STX
ke0ki2k

Post by ke0ki2k »

BOBOMOFO wrote:.......but the most surprising is his ability to post 100 times a month.....that my friends takes skill! Now where did I lay my 285/35R18's??
Thank you thank, i'd like to thank my keyboard for holding up, and my hands for not developing carpal tunnel. where do I pick up my award? its going on the hood of my car. :lol:

your 285's are sitting in my garage! i stolezeded em. thank ya for the compliments guys, but without a fast car and R-compound tires i wouldnt be in the discussion. kind of like steroids in baseball.
James Cathers - PFS #192 E92 M3 | TT4 E36 M3
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

Budman wrote:I'd have to give a check mark to a certain red MR2 turbo that came out and took BS by storm this year. Nice job! :wink:
Humility demands that I point out that I was the only car on r-compounds in that class all year. It does look impressive on paper though 8)

Now that my season is more-or-less over, I got close to my goal of consistent top 10 Pax. As it is, my average finish was (somewhat appropriately) 13th.

Results in Pro have been somewhat less impressive...but I understand we have a fast bunch here in ETR.
steverife

Post by steverife »

PRO is tough. It takes a while to get that 3 run thing down and it definitely makes cones more of a factor. :oops: It is a lot easier to let one fly when you know you get 4 or 5 more chances. There is also a lot to be learned about running with the really fast people. It is definitely a lot more of a mental game.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

ke0ki2k wrote:
BOBOMOFO wrote:.......but the most surprising is his ability to post 100 times a month.....that my friends takes skill! Now where did I lay my 285/35R18's??
thank ya for the compliments guys, but without a fast car and R-compound tires i wouldnt be in the discussion. kind of like steroids in baseball.
Meh... we've seen quite a few really capable cars show up and not do much. I'm convinced there was skill involved somewhere :D .
BOBOMOFO

Post by BOBOMOFO »

James,

I am truly joking. ( I should get the award for biggest/best "troll")

These cars don't drive themselves! I know you have put in a lot of work learning about car dynamics...etc. It is a hobby, but it does require quite a bit of skill!

FTD is no small feat! I am proud of you and the caliber of drivers we have in our club......Dave, Steve, Chris, Mr C., Mark, Mr. Wiser......etc! All deserve mention for rocking out their respective classes!

When it come to the ETR.....MC Hammer said it best when he said..."Can't touch this"!!
97' M3
2009 STU Regional Champ.......
Budman

Post by Budman »

Wheelman_13 wrote:
ke0ki2k wrote:
thank ya for the compliments guys, but without a fast car and R-compound tires i wouldnt be in the discussion. kind of like steroids in baseball.
Meh... we've seen quite a few really capable cars show up and not do much. I'm convinced there was skill involved somewhere :D .
Agreed! I'm expecting James to continue to do well and also go to a couple of larger events next year. I think you'd do well!
GySgt/USMC/Retired
Green 1996 Saturn SC-2
#94 STX
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

...That I've managed not to spin into something solid and wreck. :oops:
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3