William Blount Event

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
larry

William Blount Event

Post by larry »

Thanks to Tyler Scott :!: and every one else that was involved in setting up and running a very exciting course. :D I really liked the drifting corners. I really did not like seeing my helmet bound off my passenger seat at the second slalom cone in my third run :x ... I really did not mean to be setting a new equipment precedent! I will have to say though that I obviously was a bit confused :roll: because I actually did put on my helment when I saw the third car up the grid take off then I took it off when the two driver cars did their run. Then all of a sudden my time came again..OK, so I did run it right the first two times..but :?: why not run the grid in order, then run the two driver cars last???
Thanks again for a great event!!!
Larry Huff
1999 Mazda Miata Sport Silver CS 8 (#1)
1999 Mazda Miata Sport Silver CS 8 (#2)
2005 Acura TL Anthracite
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

Most of us have our own stories about mistakes. Part of the game. Did you see my run with the windshield wipers going --- Grrrrr

For two driver cars, there has to be a gap in time between runs so that the tires can cool somewhat, otherwise the second driver would have a huge advantage on the first and the rest of the field. The rule book says five minutes if I remember correctly. That is the reason for the break in the order.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

I agree, I thought the event went off quite well. We were on time and the course was a lot of fun. Also, a big thanks to those that brought the blowers and did the sweeping. I know it helped for first runs and I hope it did for the second group. :mrgreen:
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

Yeah, ditto on the thanks to the guys with the blowers.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
larry

William Blount Event

Post by larry »

I got there at 0915 and obviously a lot of work had already been done. Now, I understand the five minute minumum break between runs, but I do not understand why the two driver cars could not be inserted into the grid so the five minute break could be had with the regular grid order. Maybe something about running in class order? I am not complaining, just trying to understand. Thanks for all your efforts!
Larry Huff
1999 Mazda Miata Sport Silver CS 8 (#1)
1999 Mazda Miata Sport Silver CS 8 (#2)
2005 Acura TL Anthracite
gbwrx

Post by gbwrx »

Great event as usual. Tyler great course. The run groups ran real quick which made for a real good event IMO. I probably would have done some fun runs if it was some where different than WB.... My tires are still hating me for doing the school.

Only thing I didnt like is that the rain never came.... :lol:
2013 WRX
MARKP

Re: William Blount Event

Post by MARKP »

larry wrote:I got there at 0915 and obviously a lot of work had already been done. Now, I understand the five minute minumum break between runs, but I do not understand why the two driver cars could not be inserted into the grid so the five minute break could be had with the regular grid order. Maybe something about running in class order? I am not complaining, just trying to understand. Thanks for all your efforts!
Larry,

If I am understanding your question correctly, the answer is we would have a lot of two driver cars left at the end of the heat. The two driver car, itself, is on the course twice as many times as a single driver car. Therefore, you have to put the second drivers in somewhere in the middle of the grid. This means you normally run the first drivers at the beginning of the run group and the second drivers somewhere in the middle.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
steverife

Post by steverife »

yesterday was my first experience in a 2 driver car and it was nice to have a 10 or 15 car break between drivers to be able to swap numbers, check/adjust air pressures, adjust the seat, and all that mess..........and have a few minutes left to relax and get in the right mindset.

great event. i had a blast. :)
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Jbgti

Post by Jbgti »

Great job Tyler on setting the course up. I had a blast eventhough I had a HORRIBLE day behind the seat. If this makes since I think I was trying to hard?? Can't wait for the next one!
03' VW GTI 1.8T
20th Anniv. IY
STS # 33
dfsmith

Post by dfsmith »

Sounds like a ton of fun. I really hate that I missed it. :(

Turns out, the nail is too close to the shoulder of the tire and no one wanted to repair it. Looks like some new tires are in my future.

I'll be there next time!
Dave Smith

'09 Honda Accord LX-P (daily beater/greyhound bus)
'08 Ford Ranger XL (parts & manure hauler)
'74 Porsche 914 (perpetual project car)
ddillow

Post by ddillow »

Just wanted to echo the congrats on a great event organized by Tyler. I especially liked where you put the cones on the back sweeper, even more so when heading towards the exit... :twisted:
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

ddillow wrote:I especially liked where you put the cones on the back sweeper, even more so when heading towards the exit... :twisted:
Ditto. :twisted: I also liked the two cone slalom that I could almost run wide open. :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen:
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
tscott

Post by tscott »

I'm glad everyone liked the course/event. I couldn't have done it without all the help from Mack and Disney though. I think I am retiring from chairing T&T events. Two day events are a bit much for a family man!

On a side:

The "new" safety stewards need to fill out this form http://www.scca.org/_Filelibrary/File/S ... nseapp.pdf

In reading it we need to have Wayne sign it for us and we may have to fax the forms down to Mr. Hester to sign off for us. We also need our Solo Safety Committee Chair to sign the form. I think we need to have another informal meeting sometime so we can get this paperwork finished for everyone.
Tyler Scott
JW

Post by JW »

Last edited by JW on Thu May 14, 2015 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarshallMX5

Post by MarshallMX5 »

It was my first event and I really enjoyed it. Especially the test and tune! Thanks to everyone who put it on and helped me out.

My dad wasn't too happy about the "5000 miles" I just took off the tires, though. :oops: Hopefully Comcast won't be so bad.