got a new car, want some opinions on my tire situation.

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
steverife

got a new car, want some opinions on my tire situation.

Post by steverife »

A few days ago, I purchased a new 2004 Mustang GT 5spd.

In an ideal world, I would buy a set of 17x9 wheels and 275/40/17 R compounds to use for autocross. However, I've got a tire hauling dilemma. I cannot fit 4 tires in the trunk and I'm not interested in stacking a few in the passenger seat, if they'd even fit. I could buy a tire trailer, but I live in an apartment and I couldn't conveniently store it (I COULD rent storage space or store it at someone else's place, but that isn't ideal).

This leaves me with the option of buying a good street or buying the R's and driving to events on them. I like to travel out of region to Nashville and Chattanooga, and it looks like ETR is expanding geographically. I'm also interested in doing the Atlanta Region's Lil' Talledega autocross this year. How far would you travel on R compounds?

Any thoughts or recommendations?
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Williampreza

Post by Williampreza »

IMO: Falken Azenis Sports. Sticky, but they'll last longer than R compounds.
Will Lavender
#44 HS Nissan Frontier?
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Put one tire behind your driver's seat (vertical), two behind the passenger(vertical), since the seat will scoot up, and one in the trunk. Don't worry about getting your new seats dirty.....I hauled tires like this for a long time, and I have no stains, rips, etc. If it is a problem, put a blanket over it. This will work.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

When I need to haul tires in a car, I put them in big garbage bags. They're cheap and it keeps the interior clean.

Driving Rs on the street doesn't wear them that much. As long as you just have them on to get to/from events, I don't think you'd have a big wear problem. However, I can think of two problems:

1) Hoosier's have fiberglass belts... which means its easy to break a belt if you hit a pot-hole. Kumho's are a little stronger in that department. Also, the risk of a puncture is greater on the Rs since they have less tread depth.

2) If you cord a tire at an out of town event, you're gonna have to drive home on it.
- Dave Disney
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

In my Mini, I put 4 tires, air tank, cooler, chair, helmet, tool box, jack, chocks, a couple of tarps, jacket, and electric drill; and I can still see out the back window with no obstruction.

Have you tried to put the tires in the car yet. Yoder and Carpenter both carry tires in their car with a passenger.

You went to dark side of high c.i.'s huh!
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
Jbgti

Post by Jbgti »

Steve,

I'm sure you could just sit on one in the drivers seat to help see over that big steering wheel one in the passenger seat and two in the back seat or the trunk. :P
03' VW GTI 1.8T
20th Anniv. IY
STS # 33
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

OH SNAP!
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Jbgti wrote:Steve,

I'm sure you could just sit on one in the drivers seat to help see over that big steering wheel one in the passenger seat and two in the back seat or the trunk. :P
ROTFLMFAO! :lol:

Some of us that travel to the out of town stuff might be able to help carry tires for you, too. I definitely wouldn't buy the Hoosiers or the new Kumho (when they fix it) to out of town events. You don't want to be caught in the rain with 2 grooves running around the tire. Buy some Kumho V700's or Victoracers. I don't think I would drive to Little Talladega or even Atlanta on them, though.

Scott, I don't know if you were poking fun or not but the current Mustangs don't have quite the same trunk space as your Mini, the Celica, my VW, or almost anything else out there. I think Brown's MR2 has more trunk space.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
tnturbo

Post by tnturbo »

Couple of things from my personal Mustang perspective....If you are going to stay in ESP or FS you have to keep 8" wide rims. Rims identical to what is on your car now can be had CHEAP as takeoffs, less than $200 for the set. I run 275/40/17s on Cobra Rs. If you lift out the rear seat bottom, very easy just push two buttons, you can carry 3 275 tires in the back and one in the trunk (providing you take out the factory spare first). When I go to an open track event, I have 3 275s in the front, 1 in the trunk, plus extra rotors, pads and a full size floor jack. Everything fits, no problem can still carry a passenger. Unless you use the back seat, a rear seat delete kit is nice and increases your storage space plus saves about 35 lbs.
Last edited by tnturbo on Wed May 26, 2004 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Miller
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Uh..thats actually the worlds largest air box.
tscott

Post by tscott »

You can run wider tires in ESP.
Tyler Scott
tnturbo

Post by tnturbo »

I knew that, that was what put my stock car in ESP, :oops:

ESP Mustang no nos for sure are welded subframe connectors (you can use the TSB bolt in connectors) and gears lower than 3.55. There are others, but those are the main Mustang snags.

If you get springs and don't get coilovers, H&R race or super race is the way to go.
Jeff Miller