WRX guys - chip help please!

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
mrsoul55

WRX guys - chip help please!

Post by mrsoul55 »

I have a friend who just bought a WRX and is asking about chips or things to boost the power a bit. What are some good chip companies to point him towards? Does anyone do an ecu reflash like REVO?
tscott

Post by tscott »

I would go with the complete Prodrive power pack setup that Thrdeye on here has. I think it is kind of expensive, but it includes an uppipe, turboback exhaust, intercooler hose, ECU flash, and a wastegate restrictor pill that ups the boost. His car doesn't have quite the low end grunt as the STi but once it gets into the mid-range it hands with a stock STi. If I had a WRX that is what I would go for.
Tyler Scott
mrsoul55

Post by mrsoul55 »

I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to spend alot of money. Modifying a car scares him so I thought just a simple chip swap would be great for his car. He doesn't want to spend over $600.
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

For $600 it is gonna be tough, but it all depends on how much power is wanted. Does he want to run catless? Or does he want to autocross? Or does he want to drag race? All depends.

First things I would do on that budget.....

I would stay away from manual boost controllers. The power they provide can be great, but I've seen too many things to go wrong to trust it.

Cobb Accessport - ~$600
Gut stock up pipe - free (I'd be happy to help with this, as it is a bitch)

Sounds like he would be happy with just those two things...and they would be safe.

other things that can be done:
Buy Bosal twin dump down pipe - $275 - If you have the means, I definitely recommend that you pick one up.
Gut Stock mid pipe - free
Buy axle back or straight pipe - Anywhere from $150 - $800

Heck, he could probably run without a muffler altogether around here until he could afford a nice one....I recommend prodrive or stromung.

and as always, lots of info here...
NABISCO
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
mrsoul55

Post by mrsoul55 »

He won't be autocrossing or racing in any form. He just wants to get some more power for the street. He lives in Chicago so he'll have to have emissions checked and all that good stuff. I guess I'll mention the Cobb Accessport to him. I'll see if I can find a website or something on it. Thanks everyone.
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
Jbgti

Post by Jbgti »

Sounds like he should have bought a VW :P For 600 you could buy the Revo or the APR chip with adjustable settings for such things as boost, timing and so forth. Best bang for the buck!
03' VW GTI 1.8T
20th Anniv. IY
STS # 33
Williampreza

Post by Williampreza »

I second the Accessport vote. From personal experience, it is well worth the money. Plus, if he adds more mods, there are additional maps that he can download (free). I had the accessECU stage 1, (now I have stage 2 and a turboback exhaust.) and it was an excellent improvement over stock, with no other mods. Also, ditto on the MBC, from all I've picked up from other WRX'ers, you have a good chance of blowing your (your friends) engine by leaning it out too much.
Will Lavender
#44 HS Nissan Frontier?
Killerking1964

have your friend check out this site..........

Post by Killerking1964 »

2004 Mazda RX8
NSTU #22
Drive it like you stole it!!!!!