Azenis ?

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
mrsoul55

Azenis ?

Post by mrsoul55 »

Hey everyone. I seemed to have some major troubles at the Comcast event. I was further off the leaders in my class on my new Azenis than I generally was on my 420 treadwear all-season tires. The Azenis felt very greasy and slippery. Was this just the nature of the Comcast lot? Do I just need to get used to the Azenis? Or is it just me (most likely case!). I never really felt comfortable and my 2 clean runs I feel like I had to baby the car around to keep the tires from sliding. Anyway, I was just looking for opinions.
Steven

Post by Steven »

How many miles were on them?
gbwrx

Post by gbwrx »

What is the pressure at?
2013 WRX
ChuckM

Falkens

Post by ChuckM »

From my experience they work better after they have been driven or auto-crossed on. Were these new? I have heard that same complaint
recently from another person that had just bought a new set

Chuck Moore
72 914
90 Jetta GLI
mrsoul55

Post by mrsoul55 »

They were brand new. I had driven them to the event that was it.
I had the pressures at 44f/34r.
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Sealed asphalt lots get greasy with increased heat. So does the Azenis. You might have had a bad combination for that event. The Azenis works well but you have to be careful with that tire. Keep them cool and don't overdrive them.

He hasn't been to many events this year but Doug Allen is probably the best about not abusing the Azenis. You might ask him for some pointers if you see him at an event.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
Jbgti

Post by Jbgti »

I had trouble yesterday keeping traction on my azeni's too. The ones I was running on are almost bald. I messed around with my pressure's every run. My fastest run was when I had 50 lbs in the front and 48 in the rear.
03' VW GTI 1.8T
20th Anniv. IY
STS # 33
JW

Post by JW »

Last edited by JW on Thu May 14, 2015 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
steverife

Post by steverife »

Jbgti wrote:I had trouble yesterday keeping traction on my azeni's too. The ones I was running on are almost bald. I messed around with my pressure's every run. My fastest run was when I had 50 lbs in the front and 48 in the rear.
lots of tire left on the inside. i don't know how much performance it'd sacrifice, but might want to flip those.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
CMS-GT4

Post by CMS-GT4 »

I was going to post a thread on a simular topic. I have the Falkon Beta GR's, and I too felt that tires did not grip well on that lot. They do much better on the street.

I was going to post my topic based on tire compund vs. pavement type.

What seems to stick well to they "sealed" pavement lots. I am concidering going with some better tires soon, and I was going to take this into concideration.
Coldiron (Cold - Iron)
92' Celica alltrac: in final stages of rebuild
03' Z: Grocery Gitter
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

Personally, I loved sealed pavement sites. They are generally clean, the slickness is the same for everyone, and tires do not wear much at all.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

CMS-GT4 wrote:What seems to stick well to they "sealed" pavement lots.
Nothing.

This is actually one of the stickier sealed lots I have run on. I used to run on one in Richmond, KY that was like driving on ice. There were guys running on dirt stockers (rain tires) in the dry to try and get some grip.

I agree with Scott on the grip vs tire wear. I'll take Comcast any day over Wm. Blount, even in the rain. The sealed stuff is fun, you just have to be sure to hit your marks. Sealed lots will make any screw ups very apparent.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
JW

Post by JW »

Last edited by JW on Thu May 14, 2015 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
steverife

Post by steverife »

i loved the comcast surface when i was in the volkswagen, but didn't like it yesterday in the mustang. i'll report back when i acquire some decent tires and patience.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
LeadSSled

Post by LeadSSled »

I like the Comcast lot too. It was a little slick until the Kumho MXs warmed up on the 1st 2 runs, but there was enough grip after they warmed up as long as I used my right foot judiciously. This is a great lot. The fact that it is on a slope make for some interesting off-camber turns and I love the fact that it is big. Sliding around on that postage stamp lot at Anderson Co. High School was a real challenge in the SSled.

PS - Steve: you need to update your signature to "04 Mustang GT 4.6L"
Terry Kehne
SCCA #337340
1996 Impala SS - not stock SM96
2005 Dodge Magnum RT - bone stock
1997 VW Passat TDI - Sprint 520 nozzles, Stage 2 RocketChip tune
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins

I drive a hybrid - it burns both gas and rubber.