What's everyone's thoughts on S2000's

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
Z06Fix

What's everyone's thoughts on S2000's

Post by Z06Fix »

Do they make good daily drivers? I never even riden in one much less driven one. How are they handling wise? I have heard they tend to snap over steer at the limit kind of like a Z06. I watched them at Dixie and was very impressed. Seems like the perfect autox weapon. Shocks, R-comps, brake pads, and possibly a front bar and you would have the perfect AS car.

It looks like an 02-03's can be picked up with 50-60K miles for around $11,000 in great shape.

I'm atleast tossing around the idea of picking something else up to autox in. The vette's future is heading to NASA TT and it's really hard to stay within the SCCA classes doing that.

I'm just thinking that it would be alot cheaper to run every year. The tires are almost half the cost of the Z06 hoosiers :shock: If I were to do something like this than I would have to sell the civic for it and use it as a DD. So it needs to work well for that.

Opinions?
2010 Subaru STI
ke0ki2k

Post by ke0ki2k »

Before I decided to sprint kart/autox the Z I was thinking about trading the Z for a used S2K CR (found a few, hard to find though) for A-Stock, or a used Elise for superstock. I've run behind a ton of S2000's at the gap and they look like theyd be a blast, really would be the perfect autox car short of an Elise.
James Cathers - PFS #192 E92 M3 | TT4 E36 M3
JOHN226

Post by JOHN226 »

I love the S2k's. I think one with a hard top would make a good DD, lots of aftermarket support, too. It's a car kinda like the NSX, a true drivers car. I was considering one for a next car, but I really want something with some power, I haven't ever had a really fast car. These cars can be sick when done right. If you get one def get an AP2, though.

John Manners
SS26 C8 Corvette Z06
BS26 Shelby GT350
AS26 C6 Corvette Z51
EM26 Exomotive Exocet
FS26 BMW E46 M3 6MT
AS26 BMW E86 Z4 Roadster
steverife

Post by steverife »

I don't like them. I can't explain why, I just don't...
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
lcoleman

Post by lcoleman »

I agree with the above. I haven't ever driven or worked on one, but they seem to be a pretty good/serviceable RWD platform...I have heard that the F-series engines tend to have serious oil consumption issues, but I couldn't say from any personal experience. I'd definitely opt for the AP2, even if only to get the glass rear window vs. plastic.

Have you ever sat in one? You'll probably be sold as soon as you do, it's got the best driving position of any car I've ever been in.
Pewter Sonoma

Post by Pewter Sonoma »

I rode in one back in '02 or '03; A co-worker had one. I remember being pretty impressed. It seemed to accelerate pretty good, redline high, and rolled out pretty well. I think at the time, it was the highest hp/lt production car under 80K. I wouldn't mind driving one, but for a DD, I would need more room. I looked into a Saturn Sky redline and my #1 complaint was cargo room - or lack of I should say. If it's a DD, I would recommend convertible (I wasn't even aware there were hard tops till this thread). I love having the top down on a nice weathered days.

What's wrong with throwing a set of wheels/tires at the civic and still having a little fun on Sundays?
2011 ETR SCCA never made it to an event Champion
2001 Camaro SS Convertible - LS1, 6-speed, GMPP HotCam, Full Exhaust, Konis, Springs, Sways, Roll Cage, Wilwood Brakes.
ke0ki2k

Post by ke0ki2k »

steverife wrote:I don't like them. I can't explain why, I just don't...
I'm gonna need you to go ahead and cut out that positive attitude crap. :lol:
James Cathers - PFS #192 E92 M3 | TT4 E36 M3
steverife

Post by steverife »

ke0ki2k wrote:
steverife wrote:I don't like them. I can't explain why, I just don't...
I'm gonna need you to go ahead and cut out that positive attitude crap. :lol:
I like pretty much every popular autocross car there is --- except the S2000. I dunno.

I'm sure that'd change if I got to autocross one, but I HATED the one I drove on the street.

I do think they are pretty cars. I have a model of a silver of one sitting on my desk next to my computer.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
gbwrx

Post by gbwrx »

My opinion on them is that I am real tired of them being in AS. :lol: :lol:

Seriously...I have never driven one so I can't comment on how they drive. They seem to do great autox wise and kill me in AS. One thing I wouldn't like about them is the fact that you would have to do a whole lot of down shifting to 1st to make them do what they need to do. I would really like to drive one and see first hand what my car is up against.

If you haven't already I would ask Collett about them. He can drive the wheels off of one. He had his for a LONG time.
2013 WRX
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

I looked at them back when I bought the Camaro. Too gutless to really be fun, and it felt cramped (which is pretty weird because I think my Miata is 'roomy').
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
Dstan

Post by Dstan »

I am currently trying to get Samantha to get a CR But she wants a Lotus.
I guess I will take what ever she wants
David Stanford
PSTC 180 (disclaimer... this class is only valid on the discretion to the SCCA that change ST* rules every 5 minutes)
Tires 140 TW maybe legal tommorrow...WTF
Z06Fix

Post by Z06Fix »

I have been hearing that for autox use the AP1 is the car to have. Apparently it's stiffer, has shorter gearing, and quicker steering. This just just something on the drawing board right now. Lots of time to think about it.

Option 2 would be to sell the civic and vette to pick one up. That way it would be completely paid for and would give me something cheap to compete with for the next 4-5 years. I could go ahead and mod it for AS right away and pick up a tire trailer. Hummm that's tempting :twisted:

That way I wouldn't have any bills during school and training. Once I'm out of flight school I could pick up a C6 Z for track use 8)

Lots of research to do before I pull the trigger on anything.
2010 Subaru STI
Pewter Sonoma

Post by Pewter Sonoma »

What yr civic? Details? That's a potential car for the finacee. She's had her 97 Maxima for 10 years!
2011 ETR SCCA never made it to an event Champion
2001 Camaro SS Convertible - LS1, 6-speed, GMPP HotCam, Full Exhaust, Konis, Springs, Sways, Roll Cage, Wilwood Brakes.
steverife

Post by steverife »

Z06Fix wrote:I have been hearing that for autox use the AP1 is the car to have. Apparently it's stiffer, has shorter gearing, and quicker steering. This just just something on the drawing board right now. Lots of time to think about it.
I think you got the gearing thing backwards. It seems like the Club Ricer is the car to have, but they are all close enough. The AP1 is obviously capable and Tommy Pulliam won Dixie in a "soft" non-CR AP2.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Z06Fix

Post by Z06Fix »

Pewter Sonoma wrote:What yr civic? Details? That's a potential car for the finacee. She's had her 97 Maxima for 10 years!
2000 EX 2dr Coupe
5 speed
White
Just rolled over 80K miles.
Bone stock
2010 Subaru STI