MX-5 Cup/Mitty Race Recap (FIRSTHAND)

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
lyonelkent

MX-5 Cup/Mitty Race Recap (FIRSTHAND)

Post by lyonelkent »

First off, let me just say that I sincerely appreciate all the support I have received from all of you! I am certain that I do not have to tell anyone on this board what it means for me to be driving the #13 Alara Racing eData Solutions car in the SCCA Pro Racing Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup. Friday was the best day of my life, with the exception of my wedding day!

A coordinated effort with my Alara Racing teammates resulted in pole position by .4 seconds for my pro racing debut at Road Atlanta. The draft is key and we worked it well awarding us three of the top four spots on the grid.

Saturday's race would prove to be a little more difficult, as the transmission did not feel right on the pace lap. It was as if something was keeping it from wanting to go into gear or fully engage. Oh well...we were going green anyway, so I would just deal.

I got a good start and Ara tucked in behind me as planned. When we got to turn 3, it popped out of gear. When we came out of 7, leading onto the back straight, it did not want to go into 4th. When we got to 10, it popped out again. I was told to do my best to match revs and just hold it in gear, so I felt compelled to do that for most of the race.

It does not take much to fall victim to the freight train, so before I knew it, I found myself back in 10th. The series is known for its close, aggressive racing, and I ended up having to take evasive action in turn 10 to avoid contact and cut a tire on the curbing onlap 14. This made turn 5 coming out of the esses a little exciting at times. (Think oversteer, and then reach around grab another turn!)

Determined to make my way back toward the front, I was able to work around the issues and ended up salvaging a respectable 7th place and all-important championship points.

Alara Racing is a great team, so look for the #13 eData Solutions car (and the other yellow cars as well) to be running up front in less than 2 weeks at Mazda Raceway.

Thank you all for your support and hope to see you all again soon!

Lyonel
gbwrx

Post by gbwrx »

8) 8) 8) 8)

Good job. I wouldn't doubt you getting 1st if you didn't have troubles.
2013 WRX
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

Lyonel, thanks for the update and good luck.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
Scuffcakes

Post by Scuffcakes »

I was "watching" via the live T&S on the website. When it went green and you started dropping back my first thought was, "I wonder what happened to the car?" since I was pretty darn sure it wasn't a driver problem. From what you've described, 7th wasn't just respectable, it was downright amazing. Great job salvaging a really tough situation. I guess that's what being a pro race car driver is all about.
David Guffey
97 Miata - STS #40
99 Miata - Nicest beater I've ever had
88 4Runner - Trusty, rusty trail-sled
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

I have to say..Lyonels description of the "freight-train" just dont get the point across.... it was like an out of control Nascar Draft at Talledega..
cars going right and left faster than you could follow them.. really.

The competition is fierce! one small mis-calculation,and you drop at least two spots.
He really did drive his heart out.. I wish we had a few more ETR members there at the bridge cheering him on as he took the green... It was a crowded area..and all of them knew where that boy came from... East Tennessee Baby!!
I heard my GF and another girl mention how that start gave them goose-bumps!!! :shock: yea... it was grand.. this is a HUGE event,and hearing the announcer talk about Lyonel in the same fashion that we all know him was,well.. enough to give you the chills!
Give them HELL LyoneL!
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

Good to hear the first hand account of the race. Wish I could have been there to see it myself! Good luck out there, Lyonel. I'll be cheering for you!
Stephen Wilson

HoserRacing

Post by HoserRacing »

Congrats Lyonel, enjoyed the race recap, will look for another one in 2 weeks, hopefully with another pole & a win in it :D
"You know how dumb the average person is?.....Well, half of the people are dumber than that."
Tyler H

Post by Tyler H »

It was awesome being there. I wish I didn't have to work so I could go watch Laguna Seca. 8)
gbwrx

Post by gbwrx »

Tyler H wrote:It was awesome being there. I wish I didn't have to work so I could go watch Laguna Seca. 8)
I bet that was a lot of fun. I have been saying for years that I need to go out and watch Lyonel but never get out to do it.
2013 WRX
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

Resurecting this thread because I just noticed that the Mitty coverage is now up on the MX-5 Cup Youtube channel.

8 segments, here is link to #1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yVZ8FdKR2A
awdbandito

Post by awdbandito »

If you want to watch this weekends race in New Jersey live it will be broadcast on HDNet from 1pm-4pm on Saturday and again for Sunday's races.