Forum Upgrade

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
disneyd
Site Admin

Forum Upgrade

Post by disneyd »

Sometime after registration closes for this Sunday's event (either late Saturday or sometime Monday) I'm going to upgrade the forum to the latest version of phpbb.

I've been needing to do this for a while and just haven't had time. It needs to be done for security and ease of future upgrade reasons.

The theme (color combo) that we're using now isn't available with the new board software but I will try to pick something similar and there will be a choice between at least two that users can pick (a dark setup and a lighter one).

It may be a few days before I get a new ETR logo made for the new forum and I will be tweaking things for a few days afterward.

The only issue I am aware of with the new software is that a few of the passwords might not convert over properly. If you find you can't log in to the new forum just use the "forgot password" feature and get a new password e-mailed to you. I recommend that you all immediately check your profiles and make sure your e-mail address is current.

After that is all done I will have to re-write part of the event registration code so that it can read the new software's password storage scheme. Hopefully I can get this done before the next event ;) I may also start working on rewriting other parts of the online registration to make it look better and add more options (like editing registrations, etc.).

I also will need to add some modifications to the new forum to help deter spambots from posting ads. What we're using now seems to work great but I will have to modify it for the new forum... so we might have a few spam posts until I get that working.
- Dave Disney
Oberstwill

Post by Oberstwill »

According to the food network, some places make a lot of money on spam sandwiches.......... :eating:
William

I only own old cars.....

and I will beat you on SNOW tires............ ;)
Dstan

Post by Dstan »

Damn did I hear the "S" word :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE
David Stanford
PSTC 180 (disclaimer... this class is only valid on the discretion to the SCCA that change ST* rules every 5 minutes)
Tires 140 TW maybe legal tommorrow...WTF
gbwrx

Post by gbwrx »

As always...thanks for all you do with our board Dave.
2013 WRX
Dentspeed

Post by Dentspeed »

gbwrx wrote:As always...thanks for all you do with our board Dave.
No doubt!
2010 MINI Cooper S, DS
Trey
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

if ya need any help with graphics just let me know, that's what i do for a living. Sounds like you've got it under control, it's pretty straight forward, but I've got a little bit of phpbb experience as well if I ya need any help on that end of things.
-Gary Mitchell
Custom Magnet Numbers and Vinyl Graphics! | Unofficial Points Standings
01' Honda S2000 -99 BSR
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
99' F250 Super Duty
91' SVT GEO Metro (24HhoursOfLemons!)
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

gbwrx wrote:As always...thanks for all you do with our board Dave.
:rockon:

The only man to leave a local event, get the results up, AND tear down the tranny, all in the same afternoon!
2007 STI Limited #576, The Gentleman's STI, er Mistress, FOR SALE
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
disneyd
Site Admin

Re: Forum Upgrade

Post by disneyd »

It's done. The search index is rebuilding right now so things might be a little slow.

Now let the complaining begin :twisted:

Just kidding. Seriously though, post up here if you have issues or suggestions and I'll see what I can do.

Scott, I haven't added a link to the forum in the header yet but I will get it done.
- Dave Disney
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

Oh, and you can go to the User Control Panel under board preferences and change the "style" if you don't like this one. The other is a kinda of red and tan. I can add more later but want to keep it simple for now.
- Dave Disney
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

Also, if you're like me, you want the topics descending and the posts ascending... Most recent topics at the top with the oldest post within a topic at the top. ;)
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

Not sure if you're asking for that or pointing out that you can change it in the control panel.... but you can change that in the control panel under "Edit Display Options"
- Dave Disney
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

disneyd wrote:Not sure if you're asking for that or pointing out that you can change it in the control panel.... but you can change that in the control panel under "Edit Display Options"
Just pointing it out, as the upgrade screwed mine up.
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
swingdancr

Post by swingdancr »

For some options as far as skins go.... www.phpbb3styles.net

Looks great though!!!

As a word of advice, most mods to phpbb work only on prosilver or subsilver. So if you're doing some spam stuff, you'll have to set the default skin to prosilver or edit the mod. Ask me how I know this. :oops:
Josh Hankins
'90 Mazda Miata (impending 13B swap)
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

am I just overlooking this or is it no longer possible to go from the forum,to the main site?
say I am on the forums,and I want to check the standings of Sundays event..I cant.

but,Im not the best PC user in the world...

help.
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
gbwrx

Post by gbwrx »

John Brown wrote:am I just overlooking this or is it no longer possible to go from the forum,to the main site?
say I am on the forums,and I want to check the standings of Sundays event..I cant.

but,Im not the best PC user in the world...

help.
I can't figure that one out either.
2013 WRX