The whole ATOM thing

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
renesis

The whole ATOM thing

Post by renesis »

arron and i got to talking about the trip to the atom factory, and i thought maybe it was discussion worthy-

so went down there fri, with the intention of seeing this machine and going for a ride. i was more interested in the factory and the build, the representation of the company, etc. things like that, this go around. they have put the atom experience on hold, and that was the next step. they apparently are not doing the track day/weekend in the car. its something i would want to drive in, be around, really just feel for a whole day or two, before i would make a decision to purchase one. there are also a myriad of undesirable drawbacks, of which ill name a few. the licensing issue you know of. but insurance would be an issue as well. getting a kit car (go cart) insured for 85k is proving difficult even in researching it. there is also no warranty whatsoever, expressed or written, not even on the brand new japanese spec k20a, which is disheartening, especially when you have the preconception that companies should stand behind their product. the other big downfall is what this car is competing against. performance wise, yes, you cant find another vehicle even close to the performance, but have you looked at some of the cars they have for under 85k, even the used ones? alot of big names come to mind, thinking about racing pedigree cars. lotus exige and superformance cobra, used ferraris, you get the picture. the atom is a pure track day car, with a little street capability. the seats are FRP, no pad. the turn signals are a back and forth toggle switch. the storage compartment wont hold a helmet. this car is so close to the t-rex in the comfort department, and it would be hard to drive on a hot day, like a bike. all in all, i wasnt dissapointed, and i would like to do some track days in one, but the practicality is very low.

questions, comments?
08 rx8-stx
07 z06-ss
06 busa
02 stangzilla-(curvetarded) straight lines only
MARKP

Re: The whole ATOM thing

Post by MARKP »

Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
CMikeR

Post by CMikeR »

Good point, Mark. The Z06 is quasi-exotic and a performer and it can be serviced/repaired in Anytown, USA. If I had $23k laying around, I would be moving into ASP. The ATOM is an oddity that has incredible performance. If you are a rock star with unlimited funds and unchecked bravado, then get the ATOM, but if you live in the real world so many other choices are available. MHO...
02 Mini Cooper
renesis

Post by renesis »

but we already have a z06 :wink: its just not prepped like that one! i know what you mean about the whole rock star thing. it would be a neat car to add to a collection, but not practical. it stops pulling around 100mph, and i like to hammer down! :lol: :lol: but really, i would think a lot of cars could perform just as well, with an $85,000 budget. i mean, 07sti, plus $50,000, would eat an atom.
08 rx8-stx
07 z06-ss
06 busa
renesis

Post by renesis »

OH, and did i mention its pretty much a cash buy? not that we would finance, but no bank would touch a kit car with no VIN, no insurance off the start, and not for 85k especially. its four payments as they build the car, and im not sure i want to part with that much money, nomatter what im buying. take so long to save that money, just to go blow it on a car..............
08 rx8-stx
07 z06-ss
06 busa
Oberstwill

Post by Oberstwill »

Hey make me a loan then......... :lol: I can help you with the insurance......
renesis wrote:OH, and did i mention its pretty much a cash buy? not that we would finance, but no bank would touch a kit car with no VIN, no insurance off the start, and not for 85k especially. its four payments as they build the car, and im not sure i want to part with that much money, nomatter what im buying. take so long to save that money, just to go blow it on a car..............
William

I only own old cars.....

and I will beat you on SNOW tires............ ;)
TedV

Post by TedV »

have you ridden in a T-Rex? They are more comfy than you think, or at least the one I had the bank talked into giving me a loan on until the deusch bag dealer in Chicago low balled the value on it so they could cock block me for some reason... not that I'm bitter or anything, sat comfortable for me.

for $85K I'd have to go for something else for the light sporty car, Exige, Elise, Seven, Eleven... The T-Rex at $50K+ I'd have to go for something else too.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
renesis

Post by renesis »

never ridden or driven, just sat in one at a show. he had some aftermarket seats in it i think. louievuitton print on the covers so who knows.
unraceable tho, right? has to have four wheels for autox. just ask aaron :lol: thinking seriously about racing the z06 some now :idea: , just for kicks, though learning to drive it on a tight course may prove interesting. i know i would like to take it to road atlanta, vir, little talle for a track day. hit some fast curves, long straights. i kinda view the vette as being like my busa. great on open sweepers and straights, but less formidable when it gets tight. might just be the suspension and the tires.
08 rx8-stx
07 z06-ss
06 busa
EliseAutoXr

Post by EliseAutoXr »

I have always had a "thing" for the atom, but the price just does not seem reasonable. For about $50K you could buy a used Elise and do the 300+ hp Secant conversion. There are 400+ hp turbo kits available also, but most the stuff I have read about them is not positive. And you don't have to have helmet head when you get to work :).
Bradley Allen
STM 7
06 Lotus Elise (some stock)
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

Hmm what could I get for $85k w/no warranty.

-Radical SR3/4
-Ferrari 355 Challenge car
-Used Gallardo
-Used 550 Maranello
-Used 360
-Used 996 GT2
-Probably a Pair of used 911 turbos if you look hard enough (His/Hers?)
-996 GT3 Cup car: http://www.race-cars.com/carsales/porsc ... 9572pp.htm
-Used Aston Martin DB9/V8 vantage/Vanquish
-Kaizo R34GTR shell + RB26 + lots of parts
-Noble M12
-Fully assembled RCR 917 http://www.race-car-replicas.com/rcr917.html
-A crazy subaru-engined prototype-looking race car http://www.racecarsforsale.com/prototyp ... vs-gt.html

-Or an atom :).

My biggest problem is that I am not sure I could justify a car that I couldnt' drive nearly every day if I so chose. I'm not a motorcyclist, and you would pretty much have to think like one with regard to weather/temperature/etc. Or just invest in a really good rain suit and some goggles.
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo
youtube.com/lapoftheworld
TedV

Post by TedV »

Wheelman_13 wrote:Hmm what could I get for $85k w/no warranty.

-Radical SR3/4

-Fully assembled RCR 917 http://www.race-car-replicas.com/rcr917.html
mmmmmmmmmmm can that wobblin goblin be driven on the street???

SCCA does not accept motorcycle trikes, must have 4 wheels. there has been discusion about where to put a 4th wheel on a t-rex and see if it could squeak by the rules. :wink: The t-rex guys have track days once in a blue moon. For the money tho, get a radical or other DSR and you have the bike engine sound and MUCH more grip in the corners. 2 plus G's has got to be fun.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
TennTechMan

Post by TennTechMan »

Since we're talking about alternatives to the atom...

I'd probably build my own.

Or...

Factory Five Racing GTM. That's probably how I would spend the money if I had it. I'd buy Eric's Z06 and the FFR GTM kit. The parts I didn't need from the Z06 could be sold to pay for the paint/body work that is probably better left to the pro's for a supercar. Ever since SEMA last year, the GTM is on my wish list.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
tnturbo

Post by tnturbo »

Get a better one used for a big discount, this one has the 245hp supercharged ecotec http://arielatom.yolasite.com/
Jeff Miller
renesis

Post by renesis »

tnturbo wrote:Get a better one used for a big discount, this one has the 245hp supercharged ecotec http://arielatom.yolasite.com/

jeff miller, jeff miller, now where have i heard that name before? gosh it sounds so farmiliar. lol. its me, mike. met you on christmas, about to marry your sister......

was out at your moms the other day, looking at that rail buggy/tube frame thing you got out there. bet it would be sweet with a hayabusa engine strapped to it........... did you ever auto cross it?
08 rx8-stx
07 z06-ss
06 busa
tnturbo

Post by tnturbo »

Lee Graser did, but I never did. Ted, Mark P and some of the others on here could tell you about it. It is set up for a 2.3 Ford. I've got an engine, all it needs is the motor to trans adapter from Kennedy, Esslinger, or a Hewland to Ford adapter. You can have it if you want it. There are a some spare rims and fiberglass parts (hood, nose piece and the mold) in the old barn.
Jeff Miller