Found a major flaw in my car

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
CMS-GT4

Found a major flaw in my car

Post by CMS-GT4 »

I have been trying to learn as much about my car as I could, and I have found that many of the details are off, and about different various of the car. I had previously thought the car had center viscous lock, front, and torsen rear lsd. I come to find that mine has only center viscous lock. A special rally model and few of the US awd celicas got a rear TorSen diff, while all of them had an open front. I am trying to determine now if I should save up for the rear clutch lsd or get the factory TorSen rear lsd.

The test I did to determine my diffs was raise the car and rotate a tire on one side. The wheel on the other side rotated the opposite way. From what I learned online this is how you determine if a car has lsd or does not. Learning this is both bad and good news. Bad that I don't have rear lsd and will have to save up for it, but good news that the car hadnles as well as it does with out the help of additonal lsds.

I am on the right path about the lsd test? I want to make sure that I am reading it right?
Coldiron (Cold - Iron)
92' Celica alltrac: in final stages of rebuild
03' Z: Grocery Gitter
thewelder

Post by thewelder »

I was alwas told to spin the wheel backwards first to lock the diff and then forward. That was the only way I can test my viscius type.
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

I'm pretty sure your test (CMS-GT4) only works for clutch type differentials. For viscous, I think you can check by only jacking one wheel and trying to spin it, quickly. It should spin some and then stop. This test won't work on torsens and neither will the test you used. The only way to check to see if you have a torsen is to take the cover off the differential and look to see if you can see spider gears. Torsens don't have them. They will look like one solid chunk of metal that is attached to the ring gear.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story