Got a new toy today!!

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
Mark McCrary

Got a new toy today!!

Post by Mark McCrary »

Just figured I would let you all know I may be autocrossing a new car. I will still have the Miata and will keep racing it but I just bought a 1993 Cobra with 16K miles on it. I am debating on autocrossing it. I think I will at least once. I do not know which one I am going to take to Oak Ridge or keep in the garage. I think it will be a fun car.
Mark McCrary
2004 Mazda RX-8 C-Street
tnturbo

Post by tnturbo »

Sounds like a nice car. Stock, modified, color??

www.svtcobraclub.com
Jeff Miller
Mark McCrary

Post by Mark McCrary »

The car is Black. It is 100% original except for the exhaust. It was a 1 owner. The guy is going to bring the original exhaust to me soon. The car is in mint cond. except for a place on the passanger fender. I do not know if I am going to fix it or not. I do not really want to repaint the fender. I think that could hurt the value. What do you think? To fix it right the fender would have to be repainted.
Mark McCrary
2004 Mazda RX-8 C-Street
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

Man, that is awesome. Not sure if your wanting to try and keep the car and have fun with it, or try to resell it for profit. There is a FUN FORD WEEKEND this Aug.7th at Bristol, so you would have a good buying market if you chose to "parade" the car there.

I found a 93GT with 45K miles on it, stock to the filter and I really really wish I couldve found it before I found my 02GT. Granted the newer one was faster, and most likely a better autox'er. But the 93 was a better mannered and easier to drive car.

And to think.......when i had my integra, i absolutely HATED mustangs! :(
Mark McCrary

Post by Mark McCrary »

I am going to keep it at least 6 months. I plan to keep it 1 to 2 years. It all depends. I have always wanted a 93 model Mustang. I never thought that we would trade for one let alone a Cobra. If Ford weekend is just on Saturday I can't make it.
Mark McCrary
2004 Mazda RX-8 C-Street
tnturbo

Post by tnturbo »

Fun Ford is actually on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, however that is an autocross weekend. www.funfordevents.com
Jeff Miller
Mark McCrary

Post by Mark McCrary »

I was looking at the rule book and did not see my car in the book. I assume FS and it does say. Mustang V8 (NOC). I guess that is my car right. Hey Tony if you do not sell the tires soon I may be interested. I am still just not sure if I am going to autocross it or not. Does anyone know if these cars are fast in FS?
Thanks,
Mark McCrary
2004 Mazda RX-8 C-Street
tnturbo

Post by tnturbo »

You would be FS as is. Then the progression is FS, ESP, SM, CP, then ??? Not quite up to the new Mach 1s and such, but not real far off. Better power than the other Fox body cars as they were under rated from the factory. You would have a tough time fitting the 275s on your Fox with factory fenders and no rolling (I'm assuming you want to keep it all stock and not smack the fenders). Also don't forget that you have 4 lug wheels while the 94+ cars have 5 lugs. 5 lug conversion is cheap, but again not something I would do to a low mile 93 Cobra. You can come across CHEAP 15 and 16" 4 lug wheels for these cars, plus the tires are cheaper than 17s too.
Jeff Miller
Mark McCrary

Post by Mark McCrary »

Thanks,
I knew nothing about these cars until yesterday. I know it is real sad. I do not want to modify the fenders or change the lug pattern. The tires are about shot so what better time to autocross it to see if I would like it. Is the supension better on a Cobra than a GT? I will not consider any mods to the car except for maybe tires. Since I do not see any real autocross potentional as far as a National level I will mainly run the Miata until Nationals. But I might give the Miata a rest after Nationals. I might put smaller wheels just so I ran run with the SM bunch.
Mark McCrary
2004 Mazda RX-8 C-Street
tnturbo

Post by tnturbo »

Differences from a GT as far as looks. 93 Cobra has unique front and rear bumper fascia, rear spoiler, grill, ground effects, and tail lights, Cobra badging, 17" wheels, and a slightly lower suspension.

Performance
The Cobra motor was had better flowing GT40 iron cylinder heads, 1.7:1 roller rockers, a unique Cobra upper manifold and GT40 lower manifold, a larger 65mm throttle body and larger (forget the size) mass air meter calibrated for 24lb/hr fuel injectors, plus a different camshaft. The Cobra 5.0L motor was rated at 235 HP/280 ft.lb., 30 more horsepower than the standard Mustang 5.0L engine that year.

Factory rear end was a 3.08 limited slip, four lug axle assembly that was basically lifted from the 88 thunderbird turbo coupe as as such was wider than the rear in a GT or LX. Factory wheels are 17x7.5 there is no speed limiter, should be able to go 145 if you desired.

Supposedly the struts and shocks were valved differently and the bushings were stiffer. I'm not so sure about that. The front swaybar was smaller though helping to reduce some of the understeer.

The suspension is a slightly modified version of the 1978 Fairmont that is carried on even further modified to the current cars. The car is camber challenged and has a bad camber curve as the suspension moves. The rear is a modified 4 link design that is prone to bind causing some snap oversteer. The rear swaybar is mounted on the lower control arms only and as such does very little. As received the brakes are inadequate for serious braking. Do fine at an autox or driving, but look out on a "real" race track.
Jeff Miller
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

tnturbo wrote: The suspension is a slightly modified version of the 1978 Fairmont...
:lol: You bought a Fairmont! :lol:

(sorry, couldn't resist)
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
Mark McCrary

Post by Mark McCrary »

Please tell me this car has a rev limiter.
Mark McCrary
2004 Mazda RX-8 C-Street
tnturbo

Post by tnturbo »

rev limiter yes, speed limiter no
Jeff Miller
vwbud

Post by vwbud »

sweet buy mark! I just got a new toy as well, but its not as fast as yours and it is a bit older. Its about 115 years old and hasn't moved too much since it was new. Its got two bedrooms, a two car garage, and nearly 2 acres of land. I'll post pictures soon. Oh well, so much for racing for a while!
-Buddy Ahlers
'03 Audi A4
'84 Rabbit convertible
'82 Rabbit L
'73 Std. Beetle
'68 Beetle convertible
Mark McCrary

Post by Mark McCrary »

Buddy,
long time no hear. Congrats on your house. Keep in touch every once in a while. :)
Mark McCrary
2004 Mazda RX-8 C-Street