24hrs of Solo II - Charlotte, NC 09/04 - 09/05

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
thrdeye

24hrs of Solo II - Charlotte, NC 09/04 - 09/05

Post by thrdeye »

Anyone planning on it? It's supposed to be pretty good.

BTW the 2day AL SCCA event at little Talladega was a Solo 1 event, so false alarm on that one, Stu.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
steverife

Re: 24hrs of Solo II - Charlotte, NC 09/04 - 09/05

Post by steverife »

details, maing?

who runs it? what's it cost? what's the format? how do i register?
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

The details are not available on the website yet. I'm sure I can get some more info from NABISCO. It is run by the South Carolina region. Robert Carpenter did it last year methinks. He may chime in w/ more detail soon.
Chris Harp
rocracing2001

Post by rocracing2001 »

I have run the 24hr event for the last three or four years and its great. You can run the first 12 hours or the last. The course does not close for walking but you get a lot of runs. The course is not as good as the old days, but the lot is easy on tires. The lot is two linked together and the lighting is good enough to see where you are going. I like to run the event just to check the car out before nationals. Its a good site to do some tire testing.

I think I will be going this year so let me know who else would be interested.

Robert :)
JW

Post by JW »

Last edited by JW on Thu May 14, 2015 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Here are some specifics

- Cars run from 12-noon on Saturday to 12-noon on Sunday
- Since first car off is later than normal, registration is usually a little later as well (opens sometime around 8:30-9:00am, IIRC).
- You have a total of 6 "official" runs you can take over the course of the event (which must be called as such on the start line)
- You can opt to run Saturday only (noon-midnight), Sunday only (midnight-noon) or both (each "day" is about the same cost as a normal autocross and the combo is, of course, a good bit less than the two separately would be)
- Registration is re-opened at selected intervals throughout the event (not just at the start of the event)
- For each "day" that you run you must work 2 hours (so if you run the full event, you must work 2 hours during the noon-midnight session and 2 hours during the midnight-noon session)(worker signup is done at registration)
- While there are work sessions (designated by time slots), run groups do not exist. If you are not working, you are free to run.
- You may take as many "practice" (i.e., non-official) runs as time allows for (keeping in mind not to get back in line less than an hour or so before you work session so you aren't stuck in grid when you should be working). Due to this fact, this event makes a great test-n-tune (or just plain seat time) event.
Chris Harp
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

Ok, I'm there. Do they have on-line registration or any info up on their web site yet?
- Dave Disney
firingonfour

Post by firingonfour »

I don't care who I have to kill, I'm going. Anyone caravanning (spelling?) down there. We could roll in with an ETR cavalcade. I desperately need seat time :twisted:
steverife

Post by steverife »

i want to go. might have to work on getting a trailer hitch on my car by then.

people plan on running the noon-midnight or the midnight-noon heat?
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

not cbring wrote:i want to go. might have to work on getting a trailer hitch on my car by then.

Appx. how many miles from K-town, or how many hours driving would one be looking at to attend this event?
steverife

Post by steverife »

somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but around 4 hrs.....about 250ish miles
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
dfsmith

Post by dfsmith »

TonyBolton wrote:
not cbring wrote:i want to go. might have to work on getting a trailer hitch on my car by then.

Appx. how many miles from K-town, or how many hours driving would one be looking at to attend this event?
Not sure of the specific event location, but for general info, Charlotte, NC is about 240 miles from k-town ... roughly 2.5-3.5 hours away, depending on which set of driving skills you choose to observe. :twisted:

Edit: Looks like Steve beat me to it, though his 4 hour estimate probably does apply to you Mustang guys. Troopers love to see those.
Dave Smith

'09 Honda Accord LX-P (daily beater/greyhound bus)
'08 Ford Ranger XL (parts & manure hauler)
'74 Porsche 914 (perpetual project car)
steverife

Post by steverife »

240 miles / 2.5 hrs = 96 mph :shock:

so the 2.5 hrs is if you don't get stopped at all and the 3.5 hrs is if you get stopped twice?
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
dfsmith

Post by dfsmith »

not cbring wrote:240 miles / 2.5 hrs = 96 mph :shock:

so the 2.5 hrs is if you don't get stopped at all and the 3.5 hrs is if you get stopped twice?
Never stopped, but I have never done it in 2.5 hours ... it is theoretically possible though. 3 hours is a piece of cake. Golfs seem to be stealth cars. Apparently no one believes they can go 80mph, so they think the radar is in error. Minor benefit of the wagon/family car look. :lol:

Since it's mostly theory and involves a little skirting of the laws of the road, I strongly suggest no one else try this.
Dave Smith

'09 Honda Accord LX-P (daily beater/greyhound bus)
'08 Ford Ranger XL (parts & manure hauler)
'74 Porsche 914 (perpetual project car)
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

I vote noon to midnight.
Chris Harp