Tire selection

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
CMS-GT4

Tire selection

Post by CMS-GT4 »

I am trying to pick between some tires, and was hoping to get some assistance.
Currently have 205/40/17, but I would upgrade to 225/45/17 sized tires.

I am choosing between:

Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position
(Seems like an awesome tire with good tread life but very exspensive)

Falken Azenis Sport
(Supposed to be an excellent dry tire, but I hear it is not so hot in the rain. And tread life is sorta lower, but the price is great)

Falken GR Beta FK-451
(I have these on the car now, but they do not seem to be enough tire for the weight of the car. They do grip well, and have great rain traction, but I need something with higher cornering limits. Currently have 205/40/17, but I would upgrade to 225/45/17 sized tires not sure if more rubber.)

Yokohama AVS ES100
(I hear these are good for the $$, but are no better then the tires I already have)

BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2
(Have heard little about this tire, but the review was great and the price is OK)

I plan on doing at least 1 autox a month, and I drive sprited on my daily drives, and like to do the dragon every now and then. I need a tire that will last me till next spring, if possible and provide me with the traction I need.
I was hoping some people on here had experience with any of these tires, and could give me some feedback on them for when I make my purchase.

thanks,
Coldiron (Cold - Iron)
92' Celica alltrac: in final stages of rebuild
03' Z: Grocery Gitter
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

S-03's are great, but pricey.

For what it's worth, I've never had a problem in the rain with my Azenis, and they are well past the wear bears.

I would go with the Azenis. They will be better for autocross.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
dfsmith

Post by dfsmith »

I don't have the Azenis on my car, but I have autocrossed a car with them in the rain. They worked very well on wet pavement, even pushed to their limits ... much better than I anticipated (better even than some so-called all-seasons I've driven on!). I was very impressed and, even based on that short experience with them, I would definitely say you should consider them.
Dave Smith

'09 Honda Accord LX-P (daily beater/greyhound bus)
'08 Ford Ranger XL (parts & manure hauler)
'74 Porsche 914 (perpetual project car)
steverife

Post by steverife »

azenis seem to do fine in the rain as long as you stay away from standing water.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

thrdeye wrote:For what it's worth, I've never had a problem in the rain with my Azenis, and they are well past the wear bears.
I hear those can be quite vicious when cornered. :lol:
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
dfsmith

Post by dfsmith »

As far as tread life, I got nearly 15k miles out of my Pilot Sports on the GTI before replacing them (due to a nail in one ... all were worn pretty far so I went ahead and replaced them), and they had seen a LOT of spirited driving, a few autocrosses, an autocross school at Willie B, and a Dragon slaying or two. The Azenis Sports are just slightly softer, so I'd say their life should be similar.
Dave Smith

EliseAutoXr

Post by EliseAutoXr »

I have the BF Goodrich G-Force KDs on my S2K, they are substancially better than the Dunlop tires I took off. I raced with those tires for about 6 autocrosses, and normal daily driving, got 8K miles on them, and other than the outside scrubbing :) , the tread still looks great. Now I switch wheels before racing, go to the Victorracers.

I don't know anything about the KDWs, but if you want more info on the KDs, let me know...
Bradley Allen
STM 7
06 Lotus Elise (some stock)
tnturbo

Post by tnturbo »

I ran a set of KDW BFGs on my car in the original tread design 275/40/17, not that funky looking thing they are making now in the smaller sizes and they are without a doubt the best street tires I've ever used. Good wet and dry traction lasted longer than Kumho 712, Michelin Pilot Sport or Dunlop SP8000. I also cut some 1.9 60 fts on them at 411 dragway. I would also seriously consider the Nitto 555 as well.
Jeff Miller
Excitmnt94

Post by Excitmnt94 »

i have heard great things about 3 of the tires you mentioned. the G-Force KDW2's, SO3's, and Azenis Sports. another one to consider would be the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. they are amazing...but pricey just like the SO-3's. the only downside i have heard with regards to the BFG G-Force KDW2 has to do with road noise. the azenis sports are amazing in the dry...but when it gets really wet i have heard there is trouble.

i am actually in a similar boat...i need to get new daily drivers because i killed my old daily drivers running autocrosses. i have been weighing the positives and negatives of each tire i have been thinking about and can't seem to decide myself. that is why i have yet to make a decision.
2003 VW GTI 1.8T
Reflex Silver w/ Steelies wrapped in worn-out Azenis Sports...update pending
94 GS
TonyBolton

Re: Tire selection

Post by TonyBolton »

Why dont you just put the cheapest tire you can on there, then with the money saved, buy some beat up wheels and some good R-compund tires.

I mean, you have AWD, not like your fightin' for traction everywhere on the street.
dfsmith

Post by dfsmith »

Excitmnt94 wrote:i have heard great things about 3 of the tires you mentioned. the G-Force KDW2's, SO3's, and Azenis Sports. another one to consider would be the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. they are amazing...but pricey just like the SO-3's. the only downside i have heard with regards to the BFG G-Force KDW2 has to do with road noise. the azenis sports are amazing in the dry...but when it gets really wet i have heard there is trouble.

i am actually in a similar boat...i need to get new daily drivers because i killed my old daily drivers running autocrosses. i have been weighing the positives and negatives of each tire i have been thinking about and can't seem to decide myself. that is why i have yet to make a decision.
Well, for all around dry and wet weather traction, I'll have to say my original Michelin Pilot Sports (the summer tire the PS2 replaces) were truly awesome. But, yep, they are very pricey and not good at all in cold weather and snow. I have Falken ZE-512s on the GTI now, which are decent all-seasons, but nowhere near the dry and wet grip of the old Michelins. I just wish the Azenis Sports were available in 18".
Dave Smith

MyRx-7Sucked

Re: Tire selection

Post by MyRx-7Sucked »

TonyBolton wrote:Why dont you just put the cheapest tire you can on there, then with the money saved, buy some beat up wheels and some good R-compund tires.

I mean, you have AWD, not like your fightin' for traction everywhere on the street.
Although I do not race , I would agree with Tony on this one.