Wow. Finally saw what heat soak can do to you today.

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Ted, I think you drank too much :lol:
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
Williampreza

Re: Wow. Finally saw what heat soak can do to you today.

Post by Williampreza »

thrdeye wrote:Any other suggestions?
You could get one of the vents off the old style hood, then duct the hot air from the turbo up through it, maybe pick up one of those cusco heat shields and cut a hole, add some dryer hose (I have some that's solid aluminum if you want it), and you're golden. Right now, all the hot air from the turbo leaves throught the hood scoop, right through the intercooler. Heck, you might get some venturi effect while you're driving, if you place it just right.

Of course, I don't know what class such a modification is legal in. :roll:

edit: found a pic. That's them on each side of the scoop. IMO he's got them too far forward to really do any good (or look right), but you could mount them farther back.

Will Lavender
#44 HS Nissan Frontier?
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Nah, that's too much work. You have a link to the cusco heat shields?

Anyone know if the hood liner holds in a lot of heat? Is it safe to take it off? Would the hood get hot enough to screw with the paint? I know about the fire protection bit, but if my car catches on fire, I'm getting the hell out of it.
edit: found a pic. That's them on each side of the scoop. IMO he's got them too far forward to really do any good (or look right), but you could mount them farther back.
Those are stock on that model, and are placed over the heads of the engine, which are also 'hot spots' in the engine bay. GC8 or GM6 hood vents would look wierd on a GD chassis car.
Chris Harp
Williampreza

Post by Williampreza »

Teague's/Boxer4racing has them. Probably some other places also.
Will Lavender
#44 HS Nissan Frontier?
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

Does the STI have a water spray system (like the EVO VIII)? If you could fit one (if legal of course), that should help keep temps down while you are staging. Of course, I don't want to be behind you, I have enough traction problems as it is! :D

BTW, at events, I usually stand in front of Will's car, even with his hood up his engine emits less heat than mine! :twisted:
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

camaroguy wrote:Does the STI have a water spray system (like the EVO VIII)? If you could fit one (if legal of course), that should help keep temps down while you are staging. Of course, I don't want to be behind you, I have enough traction problems as it is! :D

BTW, at events, I usually stand in front of Will's car, even with his hood up his engine emits less heat than mine! :twisted:
Yeah, I have started on converting to an STi intercooler setup. Right now I have the hoodscoop, intercooler and spray tank. Still need to save some cash to get the air splitter ($110), switch($30) and nozzles ($10).

Your engine probably emits more heat because it has twice as many cylinders. I don't think heat soak is really a problem on a N/A car.

However, on the WRX (or any other FI car), if the ECU sees above normal intake temps, it will pull timing and boost to prevent detonation. It is pretty smart.
Chris Harp
steverife

Post by steverife »

when i'd take the volkswagen to the dragstrip, my trap speed would drop .4 - .7 mph EVERY SINGLE RUN. by the end of the night, i'd be trapping 4 mph less than my first run. the n/a guys seem to get faster due to the night air. in other words, N/A OwnZ j00!!!!!1 rally boy :lol:
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

hp/per litre!!!!!
gas mileage!!!!

domestic redneck!
Chris Harp
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

No, heat sink isn't really a problem w/ my car. Its block is also aluminum, and it seems to put out more heat than the older iron block LT1.

Some guys cool the LT1 intakes with ice between runs (its aluminum), but with the LS1 it is not a problem b/c it is composite (Plastic!).
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
dfoulk

Post by dfoulk »

disneyd wrote:Actually, I've found a new favorite kind of beer.... Hefeweizen. Good stuff.
Try it with a wedge of orange instead of lemon. It may not be better than with lemon but it does make a pleasing difference. Are you drinking the Shiner Hefeweizen or getting it from a tap (much better)? I found it on tap at Preservation Pub but I am sure there are other pubs that serve it.

Dewey
Williampreza

Post by Williampreza »

:P Hate Shiner Hefeweizen, like wheat beers in general though. There's a nice package store on Kingston Pike that sells a moderate array of imports, sometimes you can find good wheatbeers there, or the Gourmet's market (also on Kingston Pike, I don't know my way around ktown yet).

If it were legal to have it at the events, you could spray beer on your intercooler. Everclear would probably give you a better evaporative cooling effect though. But you already mentioned something about engine fires. :twisted:
Will Lavender
#44 HS Nissan Frontier?
tnturbo

Post by tnturbo »

I also hate Shiner's Hefe beer. You could spray CO2 on the intercooler http://www.designengineering.com/produc ... m=sc&cid=1
Jeff Miller
Williampreza

Post by Williampreza »

Heres another:

also at teague's
Will Lavender
#44 HS Nissan Frontier?
dfsmith

Post by dfsmith »

Alrighty, since I'm pretty adept at continuing off-topic discussions, I'll chime in here on the hefeweizen. The best hefeweizen I've had was (go figure) in Heidelberg, Germany. The only one I've found stateside that was even close was Rocky River's Heidelberg Hefeweizen. But, like Ted said, once it starts to sour, it's trash. Getting a fresh batch is essential. Haven't had the Weihenstephaner hefe yet (though the pilsner is great), but most of the American brews are lacking in taste, IMO.
Dave Smith

'09 Honda Accord LX-P (daily beater/greyhound bus)
'08 Ford Ranger XL (parts & manure hauler)
'74 Porsche 914 (perpetual project car)
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

What are you going to do with the sprayer when you autoX? :twisted:
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson