New (to me) race tires, thoughts?

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories

If you had the option of purchasing Dunlop's SP Super Sport Race tire (see post below for details), would you...

Poll ended at Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:49 pm

a. buy them now!
20%
b. save your money, get some real tires.
60%
c. get Azenis instead. What's the difference?
20%

Total votes: 5

Williampreza

New (to me) race tires, thoughts?

Post by Williampreza »

Anybody seen these before? On sale at tirerack right now. For the size, they're competitive to Azenis, for those of us who are cash-strapped. Just for the heck of it,

here's a poll....
Will Lavender
#44 HS Nissan Frontier?
ImpressvRS

Post by ImpressvRS »

Azenis,Azenis,Azenis. Best for the buck. I shaved 4 to 6 seconds off my time when I put Azenis on my wheels. To me that's race-proven right there. :D

nuff' said.
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
STS 70
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

Those are not competition for Azenis. They are competition for Kumho and Hoosiers, sort of. They have a 60 tread wear rating. That works for SM if that is where you are staying. They don't work for STS or STS. They will wear much faster than the Azenis (i.e. much more expensive than Azenis when you consider the life). Looks like a more afordable R compound competition tire but with very very limited size offerings.

You seem like a good guinea pig, and we would all like to see if the tire is any good! :twisted:
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
Williampreza

Post by Williampreza »

scottgib wrote:Those are not competition for Azenis. They are competition for Kumho and Hoosiers, sort of. They have a 60 tread wear rating. That works for SM if that is where you are staying. They don't work for STS or STS. They will wear much faster than the Azenis (i.e. much more expensive than Azenis when you consider the life). Looks like a more afordable R compound competition tire but with very very limited size offerings.

You seem like a good guinea pig, and we would all like to see if the tire is any good! :twisted:
Yes, I should have mentioned that they are R-compounds, only for the non-street touring classes.

If I had a set of 17" wheels, I would. Anybody want to donate a set of 17's (subaru fitment)? For the sake of scientific inquiry of course. :D
Will Lavender
#44 HS Nissan Frontier?
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

I voted for save your money, and get some real tires.

You're looking at another $100 total (all four corners), for some tried and true Kumhos.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

thrdeye wrote:I voted for save your money, and get some real tires.

You're looking at another $100 total (all four corners), for some tried and true Kumhos.
Ditto that. Why be a guinea pig when you know what you will get with the Kumhos or Hoosiers? If these tires were faster than the others, everyone would be on them.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
Leadfoot

Post by Leadfoot »

MARKP wrote:Why be a guinea pig when you know what you will get with the Kumhos or Hoosiers?
In my case, I gambled on the Avons because I knew they'd be better than what I had, I wasn't really competitive, and I trusted the Tire Rack.
If these tires were faster than the others, everyone would be on them.
You know they said that about Kumhos and Hoosiers, at one time...
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Leadfoot wrote:
MARKP wrote:
If these tires were faster than the others, everyone would be on them.
You know they said that about Kumhos and Hoosiers, at one time...
They weren't faster, then. :mrgreen:
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story