O2 sensor simulator updated with new problem

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
thewelder

O2 sensor simulator updated with new problem

Post by thewelder »

The wife's cat is going bad and it is $1500 to replace it. Yes I could cut the old one out but I would rather just gut it and not have to mess with it anymore. Has anyone on here ever used one of the bypass things everyone is selling not so she doesn't get a check engine light. Thanks Chad
Last edited by thewelder on Sat May 07, 2011 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Chad Summey*

E mod 78 lotus seven clone.
JPS2345

Re: O2 sensor simulator

Post by JPS2345 »

I used 2 sparkplug anti-foulers to space my downstream O2 sensor out of the flow of exhaust, it elimnated the CEL. As long as the seson heats up and is out of the flow of exhaust then it doesnt throw any codes. Not sure how it would work with a faulty cat, mine was because I removed all the cats.

maybe do a search for "ghetto o2 simulator"
Joe Shelton
02 Sentra
maximus31

Post by maximus31 »

What kind of car is it? That will help determine which o2 sim you need. If you don't want to spend all day getting under the car, unbolting the cat presuming it is flanged, and wiring in a o2 sim then you can always just order a replacement universal cat
http://www.amazon.com/Magna-Universal-C ... B000GKJKBE

or a stock one is normally 150.00. It might be 1500 from a dealer but any muffler shop should have a generic fit one they will weld in for 150 dollars.
thewelder

Post by thewelder »

It is made into a y pipe and the muffler shop wouldn't touch it. If I had a tig welder at home I would do it. I can't take it to work for that long of a job. It is a mitsubishi montero. I would rather get rid of the cats and use a simulator so I won't have to worry about it anymore. Chad
*Chad Summey*

thewelder

Re: O2 sensor simulator updated with new problem

Post by thewelder »

I took the Y-pipe off today. I gutted the cats and put the non-foulers on. So far no check engine light :rockon: . There is more exhaust noise in the front of the car. Air swirling it the empty cats? Wife says it is too loud now. It isn't that load either. My stock jetta(her old car) is louder. Is there a way to quite it down. Exhaust wrap maybe? Thanks Chad
*Chad Summey*

SilverMaxima

Re: O2 sensor simulator updated with new problem

Post by SilverMaxima »

thewelder wrote:I took the Y-pipe off today. I gutted the cats and put the non-foulers on. So far no check engine light :rockon: . There is more exhaust noise in the front of the car. Air swirling it the empty cats? Wife says it is too loud now. It isn't that load either. My stock jetta(her old car) is louder. Is there a way to quite it down. Exhaust wrap maybe? Thanks Chad
Yeah, catless will be slightly louder. Only way to quiet it down would be to weld in a resonator or get a quieter muffler (likely not possible since it's the stock exhaust :lol:).
2007 STI Limited #576, The Gentleman's STI, er Mistress, FOR SALE
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random