I think we have a problem...

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
MARKP

I think we have a problem...

Post by MARKP »

I hope everyone that comes to our events and participates will read this.

I might make some people mad and maybe it is needed. Maybe it is just me, but I am seeing a serious lack of interest in our Solo program. We had 80 people at the last event. That is a difficult thing to pull off when we continually have the same small group doing most of the of the organizing.

There are two threads currently asking for volunteers. Based on discussions we have had between the solo committee, there will be other threads asking for volunteers. The idea behind this is to get several people trained to do different jobs other than just working the course. This way people don't get burned out doing just one thing. We have had that happen before and I am seeing the beginnings of it again, myself included.

This is a volunteer orgainization and event. The events don't work without volunteers and there are a lot of us that put in a lot more hours than what you see on certain Sundays. We have planning meetings, we research potential sites. None of us get paid for this. The more work that falls on the few, the faster the few get tired of it. If we can spread the work load out over more people it makes it easier on everyone.

Do us all a favor and take a look at the threads asking for volunteers and step up for something that interests you. Previous experience is not required. We need willing participants.

Thank you!
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
Dentspeed

Re: I think we have a problem...

Post by Dentspeed »

Obviously I have been very active in the program over the years, but with no way to run the kart, I have basically stopped doing local stuff. I really hate it too, but there's nothing to be done. If we get a new lot that is kart friendly, I'll be back in a flash.

I was planning on doing a bunch of Nashville events, but other stuff has gotten in the way.
2010 MINI Cooper S, DS
Trey
integra55

Post by integra55 »

Mark, as I've indicated I'll be happy to learn reg....(even timing) but as to getting there for meetings, even training sessions... probably not going to happen.. I go to work at 5:15 in the mornings... often I don't get off 'till 4:30 in the afternoons, it's 2 1/2 hrs to Knoxville (then 2 1/2 back :wink: ) which kinda means no evening sessions for me... if there's anything I can be taught "on the job training" as it were I'm up for that.....

grid.. I've done it ETR and several other groups... tech.... probably not beyond my learning capabilities :lol:
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
NEVRLIFTLIN

Post by NEVRLIFTLIN »

I have to agree with Mark. There needs to be more people step up to help out with anything1 The "core" people are getting burned outFAST! Ya'll need to get out of bed earlier and get your you-know-what to the site early and learn things that you may not be comfortable with...Get outside your "comfort zone" ......Its not painful....Trust me :wink:

And attend the monthly meetings~~~They are filled with all kinds of information~~~~like what goes into site acqusition, where the money goes.....You will be suprised of how much goes into an event.
~~~Lin Cox~~~
1990 Mazada Miata
ZOOM-ZOOM

Secretary
Travel Agent
Social Director
Event Planner
🤗🐾🍺🚘🎵🏁
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Trey, you have been in the trenches with us and I understand your situation. Even with the inability to do local events, you have been serving as a board member.

Walter, thank you for all your help. You have definitely been an asset, especially considering your long drive to events.

Thanks Lin, I have you down to learn course setup per the other thread.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

my .02

I have so much racing fronts going on..its amazing..more than my career has ever experienced... But,the one thing that really hits home...is the silence on this board..it used to be active all the time.. now it seems to go days withour much action. Are we getting new members that dont know about this?? After an event it used to go for days... now,barely even a day hardly. This is our fun spot..right???? Lets have some fun!!!

We are working on some "big things" but in the mean time... lets chatter it up..some SmaK-talk!!
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
steverife

Post by steverife »

Yeah, I miss when the board was a lot more active.

I was pretty burned out the last couple years --- only stuck with it because of all the friends that I've made. I'm having fun again and look forward to dumping some cones -- always enjoyed that part of it in the past.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
NEVRLIFTLIN

Post by NEVRLIFTLIN »

Ok, John.......since you are the BIG SmaK talker.... You lead the way.... :lol: :lol: and others will follow...... :wink:
~~~Lin Cox~~~
1990 Mazada Miata
ZOOM-ZOOM

Secretary
Travel Agent
Social Director
Event Planner
🤗🐾🍺🚘🎵🏁
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

Maybe I should start posting again. :twisted:

Being probably the resident tight-wad, I'd suspect that if you promoted this from a financial standpoint, your interests in volunteers may go up. ;)

I'm gonna do some hillbilly math, so feel free to point out an fallacies...you won't hurt my feelings. Hell, call me a name or two even if you like.

(Using the last event for this example, 73 entries and using an avg. 30$ for entry fee)

That's 2150$ Take site rental/usage which I believe was 300$...it's been a while since i've been in the meetings. That leaves you with 1890$ Then you have insurance.....I have no clue what it is but surely it's not more than 300$ :?: So now we're at 1590$ Maybe there's some other SCCA fee in there that covers a reach-around or something....say 90 bucks to round it off to 1500$ leftover to put in the i'm sure still flourishing ETR-SCCA bank account. And yes, I realize you have shirt costs and random misc. stuff at the end of the year. But there are 10 or so events a year, so if you're pocketing 1000+$ an event, I think you could still buy a couple shirts for some folks.

So with this mathematical garble of mess, could you not somehow make it worthwhile to someone(if no one wants to volunteer, which is apparently true of this thread wouldn't exist)and give them the event free or a decent discount....like 1/2 off or so? Gas prices certainly suck ass, and everyone at the event is probably getting 9mpg's....except for the noobz who probably still get like 30 or so. ;)

And just to C.M.A.(cover my ass), i'm not degrading or defaming any organizations, race, driving expertise, car choice or tastes in food or beer. I'm just tossing an idea out there to either thumbs up or thumbs down. I know how my "Hope you guys had fun!!" can turn into "I hate everyone and their families!!1!" in about 3 posts on here.....sometimes.
steverife

Post by steverife »

I can't remember the insurance costs, but it is per person and it is a pretty large hunk of the entry fee.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

steverife wrote:I can't remember the insurance costs, but it is per person and it is a pretty large hunk of the entry fee.
Well, 300$ is a good chunk of change.....I thought. Lets just fib and say we have like 20 entries. Not like we have any Lawyers or people in law enforcement on the board. :mrgreen:
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

Like Ive indicated I'm the other threads, just tell me where you need me.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
thewelder

Post by thewelder »

I wouldn't mind learning new jobs but with my work load right now I don't know which events I can work. I worked tech at the first event and I will say there was cars I didn't think should have been running but tech has been pretty easy going in the pasts and I didn't want to change thing. If I saw something I thought could kill someone I would have said no but I don't fill good about some of the cars. That being said it didn't give me the time needed to get the new car ready or work the coarse that I need with this car. I could do coarse set-up but I don't have that many events under my belt. I would need to be off at around 9:00 tell I get the car sorted out. Chad

PS I would love to go to meetings but I can't drive 1.5 hours there and back on a weeknight. I know there isn't many of us up this way but every time we need a new meeting place we suggest somewhere east of knoxville.
*Chad Summey*

E mod 78 lotus seven clone.
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Tony, let me simply say that the autocross program did little more than break even last year. You are analyzing an event where we had a lot of attendees, therefore more profitable. There are many costs involved, T-shirts/trophies, van/trailer, equipment replacement, charity events, etc. other than what you mentioned.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Chad any Ryan, thanks for the responses. Please pick a duty that you would like to be more involved in and we will be happy to get you trained. Since there aren't official threads on the other duties yet, I will go ahead and list them. Please feel free to PM or start another thread if you are interested in learning any of these. By the way, these are all critical duties that require more than just the quick, "here's a cone, please run out there and pick it up", orientation.

Tech - Shawn
Registration and timing - Harp
Course Setup - Mark
Workers - Lin
Equipment Setup (radios, timers, etc) - Aaron
Grid - Brown
Sound - Ted
Safety - Scott

Thanks to everyone that has responded. We still have mostly the usual suspects responding but at least I know some are listening. Remember, just because you have the training needed to do one of these duties, does not mean you are obligated to do them all the time. The more the merrier!
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club