How much performance loss going from 245 to a 225 wide tire?

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
thrdeye

How much performance loss going from 245 to a 225 wide tire?

Post by thrdeye »

Well, Tire Rack still has got no 245 Victoracers like I ordered. They have the 225's though. If they don't have them by next week, I was thinking about going with the 225s, so that I can have them in time for the Subaru Challenge.

Input. Big difference? Or don't worry about it since I'll be going from Azenis to race tires anyway? The one benifit I can thing of is a tiny bit better gearing with a 225/45 as opposed to the 245/45.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

I dont think the loss could be measured by the "butt-dyno", so I say go for it.

The gearing thing "I" think would help you out alot. The big gear I put in the Mustang helped me out a WHOLE LOT in the autox stuff, so I imagine dropping tire height would be the equivelent of that. Plus, youve got AWD so you should be able to have more torque on corner exit than you had, allowing you to pull through alot faster.

Good luck
steverife

Post by steverife »

Well, since I've essentially decided to give F Stock a run, I will be going from a 275 on a 9" to a 255 on an 8" wheel. I hope the slight gearing advantage and steering response will make up for giving up a bit of tire.

I'd say go for the 225's if you can get them quicker. You'll probably want to run on them an event before the Subaru challenge. It took me an event to get used to mine and take advantage of them.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Yeah, I called tire rack, and they have no idea with the 245, so they are getting my 225's out today. I will probably be running the Nash event on 9/26 on them....Or Atl on 10/03
Chris Harp
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

Why are you going to Nashville on 9/26 when we have an event on that date?
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
tscott

Post by tscott »

scottgib wrote:Why are you going to Nashville on 9/26 when we have an event on that date?
I'll answer that question for him since I will probably do the same thing for close to the same reasons. We have the subaru challenge in Jacksonville on 10/9 and he needs to get some seat time with the new tires and I need some seat time in my Subaru as well. The site/courses in Nashville are much more like the courses in the challenge and will give better practice than the other site. I really hate to miss our event but I really need to get the feel of the Subaru on a more open course.
Tyler Scott
Williampreza

Post by Williampreza »

:roll: Hmmm... Chris is going to the Subaru Challenge, Tony hates the surface, (maybe it will rain too). :shock: There's a chance that I might place at this race! :lol:
Will Lavender
#44 HS Nissan Frontier?
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

The event is at Meco, pristine pavement. I expect no complaints about the surface.

I lost 1/32" from the front Azenis at Taylor White. About 1/64" from the rears. That is 12% of the total tread on the front.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
steverife

Post by steverife »

thrdeye wrote:I will probably be running the Nash event on 9/26 on them....Or Atl on 10/03
If you decide to go to Atlanta, I might be interested in going down there with you. I've wanted to go down there and see what it is like for a while.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Gwinett fairground is supposed to be HUGE, course, I've never seen it before, so I don't know. I think I might plan on it, but also, my trip to Fla is the next weekend, so that is unsure. But it would be nice to get a couple of events on the new tires before the challenge.
Chris Harp
steverife

Post by steverife »

if it were me, there is NO WAY that i'd go to atlanta the weekend before going to florida, but if you do decide to go i'd be interested.....

same goes for any other trips to atlanta region that people may plan.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

I'll let you know. Just depends on finances.
Chris Harp
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

tscott wrote:The site/courses in Nashville are much more like the courses in the challenge and will give better practice than the other site. I really hate to miss our event but I really need to get the feel of the Subaru on a more open course.
You obviously haven't seen Meco and you haven't looked at who will be putting on the event (doing the course). :mrgreen:
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story