Hoosier S04 vs. Kumho 710 (need help)

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
TonyBolton

Hoosier S04 vs. Kumho 710 (need help)

Post by TonyBolton »

Need kinda a quick answer/opinion on guys that know "Hoosier's"(Ted maybe?)

I am needing some 335/35/17's at the moment, and I'm looking at the Kumho V710(211$), and unexpectedly there is a special/closeout on the Hoosier R3S04(only 161$!!!).

My question is would a Kumho autox tire be night/day different than that Hoosier ROAD RACE tire?

If the performance offset is minimal, I'd like to save the 100$ and get the Hoosiers. Tires that I'll be running upfront will be the V710's, and I know they grip really good, and if need be I have an adj. rear swaybar to dial any under/oversteer out of the car.

Thanks for any/all opinions,
Tony
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

The difference in cost is more that the initial price difference. The RS03's will last a bit longer. It is my understanding that the ASO3 would last longer than the V710 and the R obviously lasts a little longer. Since you are not running national events, this looks like a no brainer (unless you are obsessed with trying to move up in PAX or overall raw times).
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
ddillow

Post by ddillow »

Seems like I've heard a few people say you should not run different brands of tire front to rear unless you really know what you're doing. Then again, they're different sizes to begin with, so maybe that already invalidates what I've heard.

I'd wait to hear what Ted says. or John, or Robert, etc. However, that may be a bit of a wait since most of them will be at Nationals this week.
TedV

Post by TedV »

I think you saw R3S03.. not 04’s on special. I’ve been running used Road race the last few years cause the price was right. They do have a little less grip than the Autocross compound but R’s will last longer. I don’t know of anyone who has run a 710/R3S03 split so can’t really say how it would be. Might be great, might be hard to drive. I do know people have run different compounds or constructions on opposite ends of the car and had no major problems as long as all the tires were in decent shape. Same tires on the same axle, radial/radial, NOT radial/bias ply, unless you have a death wish. Robert and Mark P. might have more info from the autocross crowd. It shouldn’t be too hard to adjust chassis set up/ tire pressures to dial it in. $100 will buy some gas and entry fee’s. Changing stuff and making things unpredictable will improve your ability to jump from one car to another but will screw you on finding those last few tenths out of your car.

How do you make them mustangs turn????? That is what killed the fronts on Jeffs car. Too much push. Only way to make it not push was to go slow or try and toss/spin it around the corner. Slow= no fun and didn’t have enough time to figure out the predictability of the toss = too many cones. :lol:

Whatever you get, you need to let me drive it so I can give you feedback :twisted: :twisted:
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

Ted, you are correct on the S0"3" tire...............I just had S04 on the brain.

Well.....as soon as the other wheel/tires sell and deliever this week, im going to try the R3S03's. The price is just too right on those. I think the front grip of the V710's will work OK with the larger, but maybe a tad less grip Hoosiers.

Maybe you guys will just let me do some brake stands at the start line to really heat them up.......i mean, create optimum temperature range. :)
tnturbo

Post by tnturbo »

maybe we need to have a burnout contest? :twisted:
Jeff Miller