What are your goals in autocross?

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
steverife

What are your goals in autocross?

Post by steverife »

The threads about this weekend got me thinking about this, and btw, there is no wrong answer. In fact, I'm not even sure what my goals are... Right now, I just want to have fun. Driving better and placing higher is more fun, so that is what I work towards...

If you are someone that doesn't think you have a shot at the top 16, is it a goal to be in that group? Are you working towards it? Do you envision yourself running pro in a competitive car, going to national events, etc?

If you think of yourself as already in that category, what triggered the switch from novice/casual competitor to where you are now?
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Knox MSP

Re: What are your goals in autocross?

Post by Knox MSP »

For me it's just something to do. No plans on being competitve, or even competing in a certain class, I just want to go out, run (as many runs as possible), and have fun doing it. Last year I was kinda into the points race, but I really couldn't care less this year. I am just running when it is convenient, and I feel like going (changing tires is a PITA). I also don't see myself travelling to an autocross more than 20 miles away.

I honestly think next year I will be putting more of my time, and funds into track days/HPDE though, rather than autocross.
Last edited by Knox MSP on Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Delligatti
2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege
#46 SM
jaltobelli

Post by jaltobelli »

To prove that despite a signifigant weight disadvantage - Experience beats youth and good looks every time. Joe Sr. :fight:
MATT-X

Post by MATT-X »

I just like to play. Free shirts are nice too. Would like to get better but I have so many irons in the fire that this is just playtime for daddy.
ImageImage
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

-Continue to improve as a driver so that if I ever do get a class-competitive car, I can use it appropriately.
-Have fun and make the most of what I've got for now.

Early on, I had goals of winning everything (I'm competitive by nature), but I haven't been able to justify buying a car to be PAX / class competitive nationally. So, while it annoys me that I don't place higher than I do, I understand why that is and just choose to have fun in spite of it.
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo
youtube.com/lapoftheworld
Dentspeed

Post by Dentspeed »

This is my 8th season and I started with a goal to beat a few people locally. When that happened, I got the bug to improve and compete nationally. Well that goal hit a big brick wall when I realized that talent was lacking. After a lot of frustration not reaping the rewards of my efforts, I took a break and decided to return to drive as fast as I can and who cares about win or lose. Autocross was fun again.

Now my goal is to learn a shifter kart, which btw is like completely starting over. I love the challenge and holy crap it's a rush!
2010 MINI Cooper S, DS
Trey
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

Wheelman_13 wrote:-Continue to improve as a driver so that if I ever do get a class-competitive car, I can use it appropriately.
This. I also want a jacket to keep me warm this winter!

Autocross is alot of fun with alot of fun people... What more fun can you have for $20* on a Sunday?

I'm also getting into Lemons racing... Hopefully the car control and course reading skills learned at AX will carry over int open track racing. We'll see next month!

*(+tires, +car wear, + membership)
-Gary Mitchell
Custom Magnet Numbers and Vinyl Graphics! | Unofficial Points Standings
01' Honda S2000 -99 BSR
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
99' F250 Super Duty
91' SVT GEO Metro (24HhoursOfLemons!)
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

I could say this several different ways...but I think my goal is to trophy at nationals.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
NEVRLIFTLIN

Post by NEVRLIFTLIN »

I never thought that I would be auto-crossing in my life! I have JB to thank for getting me started in this awesome sport! Ive been doing this for 3 years now~~~~~ WOW! time has flown by! I am totally hooked! My goals are 1) getting faster 2) getting better 3) getting more competitive 4) Winning a trophy @ a National event! I have learned alot from you in the club! By far one of the perks of our club is all the wonderful friends that I have met here and from all over.

We have great teachers here.......and anyone who wants to learn alot from some great people.....you will find it here in our club!

Another goal I have is to increase our membership......We have had alot of new faces @ our events.....Now we need to get those new faces to join the Club.......

:rockon:
~~~Lin Cox~~~
1990 Mazada Miata
ZOOM-ZOOM

Secretary
Travel Agent
Social Director
Event Planner
🤗🐾🍺🚘🎵🏁
RxCritical

Post by RxCritical »

Right now: Go fast, miss cones. :D
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy
thewelder

Post by thewelder »

Next year in money allows it I plan on going to nationals. I was planning to go to nashville latter this year for the tour but since my car is way underweight it will have to wait till next year I guess. Wings this winter. And more motor. Chad

PS FTD by the end of the year(more that likely not going to happen)
*Chad Summey*

E mod 78 lotus seven clone.
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

As of now,my goal is to win at the Nationals this year. Its been since 2005 since I did that in Pro-Solo.

Id also like to get as many folks locally Nationally competitive..and do like At Region in trying to be the Region with the most drivers there.

This may be my last serious A-X year for a while, as my road racing is taking a front seat more and more..
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
Dentspeed

Post by Dentspeed »

What Chris said would be great, but I have a feeling it'll be a cold day in hell before that happens for me.
2010 MINI Cooper S, DS
Trey
EliseAutoXr

Post by EliseAutoXr »

I would like to come to more than 1 event this year :( ... my goal is normally to be competitive with Dave or FTD (hehe).
Bradley Allen
STM 7
06 Lotus Elise (some stock)
lsp408

Post by lsp408 »

i would like to beat Tony Bolton :fight:

ETRSCCA noobie member