Where do I sign up?

Post by backpacker6 »

-Brian Darby

PSTS 8
91 Miata
John Brown

Re: Where do I sign up?

Post by John Brown »

I wonder how many of them wad up the cars...and wonder where the "back" button is???? :lol:

They aint got a damm clue to real racing... unless they have background prior.
I got to watch this.. it has to be funny.

I actually talk to kids at the tracks I go to,and they tell me they turned a "whatever" time...and I ask them what car they drive...and they tell me this BS..or IRacing...or something... are they serious????? :?

No wonder some of those same kids thought they could rob a bank and get away with it....... :roll:
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
backpacker6

Post by backpacker6 »

I just want to drive a real race car. I know I can do it, I just can't afford it.
I got to watch this.. it has to be funny.
I think it will just piss me off.
Last edited by backpacker6 on Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Brian Darby

PSTS 8
91 Miata
steverife

Post by steverife »

The winner is a multi-time Solo National Champ. 8)
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
backpacker6

Post by backpacker6 »

steverife wrote:The winner is a multi-time Solo National Champ. 8)

SPOILER!!!!!!!!!
-Brian Darby

PSTS 8
91 Miata
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

solo....

:lol: not even close.

They better have some good coaches.

Darby, rent you a ride.. its a lot cheaper than owning. YOU...may could do it. It denends on the car. A slow car is ok,but a fast car is totally different.

Rife..who!
steverife

Post by steverife »

I definitely think it would be a lot easier to rent a ride than to become one of the best Gran Turismo players in the country to win one.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
steverife

Post by steverife »

Anyway, John, I get what you are saying, but from what I've read, a lot of the top video game racers have a variety of seat time in real stuff at a pretty high level of competition, be it solo, club racing, shifter karts, or whatever.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

right, Id buy into that. But these couch racers.... :lol:

I still say its a recipe for "hurt"

I cant stand to play those things because its so far from real.. it pisses me off.
ke0ki2k

Post by ke0ki2k »

John Brown wrote: I cant stand to play those things because its so far from real.. it pisses me off.
all your inputs are based on visual cues since you can't 'feel' the car rotating - you've just gotta develop a visual sense as to how fast the car should be rotating and what kind of noise you should be hearing from the tires - takes quite a few hours of practice. Once you get the hang of it, it seems to be pretty realistic with the force-feedback wheels, takes a delicate touch to get the car to rotate properly with the brake since its about pedal travel more than pressure. McMark and I both get on iRacing quite a bit, and we do okay in our respective real life racing ventures.

From what GT5 i've played, it seems like its watered down - the car just settles into a cushion at a massive slip angle and it really doesnt take much to hold it there.. which makes it seem to be aimed at being fun for recreational players, less 'challenging'/time consuming. Its a whole different animal from iRacing so I dont know how they'll fair in a real car.
James Cathers - PFS #192 E92 M3 | TT4 E36 M3
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

ke0ki2k wrote:
John Brown wrote: I cant stand to play those things because its so far from real.. it pisses me off.
all your inputs are based on visual cues since you can't 'feel' the car rotating - you've just gotta develop a visual sense as to how fast the car should be rotating and what kind of noise you should be hearing from the tires - takes quite a few hours of practice. Once you get the hang of it, it seems to be pretty realistic with the force-feedback wheels, takes a delicate touch to get the car to rotate properly with the brake since its about pedal travel more than pressure. McMark and I both get on iRacing quite a bit, and we do okay in our respective real life racing ventures.

From what GT5 i've played, it seems like its watered down - the car just settles into a cushion at a massive slip angle and it really doesnt take much to hold it there.. which makes it seem to be aimed at being fun for recreational players, less 'challenging'/time consuming. Its a whole different animal from iRacing so I dont know how they'll fair in a real car.
So..your saying what? how do your real track times relate to your "Iracing" times???
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

John, many pros run iracing...the times are pretty close once you get good
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

thrdeye wrote:John, many pros run iracing...the times are pretty close once you get good
give me an example. who? where? lap times?

and this is what I said early on.. "prior experience"
ke0ki2k

Post by ke0ki2k »

John Brown wrote:
ke0ki2k wrote: McMark and I both get on iRacing quite a bit, and we do okay in our respective real life racing ventures.
So..your saying what? how do your real track times relate to your "Iracing" times???
Don't have the time/money to go out and set real times, trying to prepare myself for a career and such. i'm just saying the sims probably helped us get a handle on racecraft, otherwise neither me or McMark wouldve hopped into the series we ran and started beating guys, who had been doing it much longer, like we did.
John Brown wrote: give me an example. who? where? lap times?
I've run on iRacing with Mike Skeen a few times and hes always been fast on there (a few tenths up on me in the nationwide car at watkins glen, we were running times about a second faster than the real-life cars at the time - the tire model was a bit off) and he's probably got more talent behind the wheel of a real car than anyone on this board. Also ran with Ricky Taylor and Jade Buford quite a bit before school started back up. Ricky was fast on there, said the daytona prototype was pretty close but the tires wouldn't hold quite such a big slip angle. Buford used to race karts with me, runs Continental tire series but hes pretty talented, always pretty quick on iRacing too.
James Cathers - PFS #192 E92 M3 | TT4 E36 M3
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Mike Skeene..... is fast.

exactly what Im saying...I can go faster on vids everywhere...than I can in real life.

Mike and I can battle it out,and Iv beat him a time or two.

ok, all Im saying is this. If anybody thinks that video racing is the same as real wheel to wheel racing.... Lord help us on the race track. :(

I see them at every race... its scary.