how has autocrossing affect everyones street driving habits?

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
austin neuschafer

how has autocrossing affect everyones street driving habits?

Post by austin neuschafer »

curious how this has affected everyone elses habits ON the road. though I have only have the chance to do this twice, ironically both times the next day I had to do nasty accident avoidances that involves the unavoidable braking and sliding to avoid a accident but no loss of control. now on the street when its dry I drive my tin can a bit faster on curves, I know more of how to push it and let is slide a little bit but controlably. overall I think everyone should go balls out on the autox like I did trying my car at its limits pushing all wheels slides and getting a sense of how to keep it under control
another rocco 16v
GaryM

Re: how has autocrossing affect everyones street driving hab

Post by GaryM »

On average I'd say I drive slower on the street than I used to. I guess I get it out of my system at autocross.

Accident avoidance and inclement weather (ice/snow) is %1000 times better now.
-Gary Mitchell
Custom Magnet Numbers and Vinyl Graphics! | Unofficial Points Standings
01' Honda S2000 -99 BSR
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
99' F250 Super Duty
91' SVT GEO Metro (24HhoursOfLemons!)
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

I have definitely driven my way out of several situations (most of which were caused by another driver and not myself) where I'm sure I would have been involved in an accident had I not been autocrossing for years.

I don't think my general driving habits have been affected much by autocrossing, other than a fine-tuning of my situational awareness... for example I will adjust my following distances more accurately because I have a better idea of how far it will take me to stop or turn depending on what surface I'm on, what car I'm driving, and what the tires and brakes are capable of.

I think all new drivers need to be (safely) put in a situation where they lose control of a vehicle and be taught how to deal with it. That way they know how the car feels before it loses traction and gain the muscle memory to correct in time. I have no idea why this isn't done in driver's ed courses. For most new drivers the first time they under/over-steer is when they are about the hit the solid object (with the wheel cranked to lock and the brakes on the floor).
- Dave Disney
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

disneyd wrote: I have no idea why this isn't done in driver's ed courses. For most new drivers the first time they under/over-steer is when they are about the hit the solid object (with the wheel cranked to lock and the brakes on the floor).
Amen, preach on! :rockon:

Nothing I've been exposed to teaches car control as effectively as competitive autocross.

I also agree with Gary; it tends to get "the need for speed" out of my system.
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

99KiaSephia wrote:Accident avoidance and inclement weather (ice/snow) is %1000 times better now.
X1000!

Beyond this, I haven't particularly noticed any added benefits, except maybe looking ahead more. I do shuffle steer much more, though. :lol:
2007 STI Limited #576, The Gentleman's STI, er Mistress, FOR SALE
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
Pewter Sonoma

Post by Pewter Sonoma »

I aim for apexes a lot more on the street now. For instance turning left at intersections I'm always trying to get the apex just right. If I'm in the Oldsmobile, I'll even do this curb medians, such as the one turning left from Peters Rd. onto Cedar bluff. I'm come millimeters from rubbing the tires on that inside lane many times. However, I don't do this with curbs in the camaro. I do this everyday turning into work. We have a hard left and I'm always aiming to just miss the reflector that seperates my lane and oncoming traffic (assuming traffic is not right near the reflector).

The one downside to autocross driving: I also brake a lot later now on the street, which could be a bad thing if I miss judge.
2011 ETR SCCA never made it to an event Champion
2001 Camaro SS Convertible - LS1, 6-speed, GMPP HotCam, Full Exhaust, Konis, Springs, Sways, Roll Cage, Wilwood Brakes.
JOHN226

Post by JOHN226 »

I shuffle steer and keep my left foot on the dead pedal when cornering. lol
John Manners
SS26 C8 Corvette Z06
BS26 Shelby GT350
AS26 C6 Corvette Z51
EM26 Exomotive Exocet
FS26 BMW E46 M3 6MT
AS26 BMW E86 Z4 Roadster
Dentspeed

Post by Dentspeed »

Looking ahead more, both hands on the wheel more, accident avoidance better.
2010 MINI Cooper S, DS
Trey
integra55

Post by integra55 »

coming home from my first a-x I realized I was driving much more relaxed than normal.... in the following days and weeks I found that while my speed on the highway was about the same, my need to tailgate you 'till you moved out of the way was 'bout gone... ever since then I've keep that "more relaxed" feeling... look much farther ahead, and have managed to avoid and even anticipate situations that I probably wouldn't have prior to a-x and track days
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

I agree with all of the responses to the original question. I am typically more aware of what is going on with the car and aware of what other cars will do if they screw up. I would say it has made me more defensive although other non-autocrossers don't see it that way because they see what is going on at the last minute and I saw it coming a mile away (literally in some cases).

I avoided a nasty crash years ago on an icy bridge because I saw the Suzuki Samurai losing it in the far right lane and got off the gas before he came across in front of me (across 4 lanes) and got smacked by a tow truck (ironic, huh?).
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
steverife

Post by steverife »

I think I became a worse driver before I became a better driver. I always liked cars, but never pushed a car on the street much at all before autocross. Once I got that out of my system, I now look ahead and plan ahead better and I'm a little more aware of road conditions.

All the traveling has also significantly built up my tolerance to extended driving. Ten years ago, I never would have thought that I would be able to work all day, then drive 400-500 miles after work, or cover 1000 miles in a day.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thewelder

Post by thewelder »

Yes to all the above. And I also get closer to things than I should. Curbs,gaurdrails, and anything else on the inside of turns. I don't really notice it but passengers sometimes yell for no real reason. :lol: Chad
*Chad Summey*

E mod 78 lotus seven clone.
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

I try to watch at least one to two cars ahead when on the interstate,and at the same time hang back with enough distance from the car in front.Most time watch the second one ahead. It seems to dictate what the one in front does. I also try to keep the same watch on the Pike and the in town roads.Euro driving schools dwell on that,as well as the side road entries into your path.
Bob Colbert
TennTechMan

Post by TennTechMan »

There are a few things I do a lot different after autocrossing for a few years.

1. I look ahead and through turns WAY further than I ever did before.
2. I try to make smooth, continuous arcs every time I turn the wheel.
3. I have two hands on the steering wheel nearly at all times.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

Back to a Euro driving school.
TennTechMan wrote:There are a few things I do a lot different after autocrossing for a few years.

1. I look ahead and through turns WAY further than I ever did before.
2. I try to make smooth, continuous arcs every time I turn the wheel.
3. I have two hands on the steering wheel nearly at all times.
Bob Colbert