Question for the rule book people..

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
Austin Lanz

Question for the rule book people..

Post by Austin Lanz »

I need help figuring out what class to run next year.

So far, it seems as if STU or STX are my best street tire options. But I don't know which one to run? The pax difference is significant but my car falls into both categories (STX: up to 2.0L turbo and STU:up to 3.1L turbo)? The rulebook also lists a Subaru WRX STi as an example in STX (which I believe is a 2.5L) but then the Lancer Evolution as an example in STU? I also have a question about tires. If I was to buy the car brand new and bring it to the autocross. IT comes with Advan A048 tires on it, which is a 60 UTCG rating tire, not the 140 minimum rule, does this make the car exempt from that rule as long as I was to replace the tires with factory spec tires(i.e. Advan A048)?

Here is my hopeful modifications list for next year. I have checked and all of the following appear to be ST* legal:

-Stock wheels (8") with Advan A048 (60 UTCG) or Ventus R-S3's (140 UTCG) in 245/40/17;s
-Megan RS-Pro coilovers
-SS brake lines
-factory replacement Brembo slotted rotors
-larger sway bars
-Air intake (only the filter, bolts to stock MAF pipe)
-Hi-flow cats (mount in same place)
-HKS Hi-Power catback ( rulebook made it sound like any street legal exhaust was fine, as long as it passed sound, which mine does)
-Fuel injectors & pump (could not find any word about fuel modifications in ST* section)
-ECU reflash

Thanks,
Austin
Austin Lanz
STM 12 Evo 8
steverife

Re: Question for the rule book people..

Post by steverife »

First, the EVO is specifically excluded in STX. Second, you cannot run those Advan's in Street Touring. Third, you can't touch the injections and fuel pump in Street Touring (if it doesn't say you can do it, you can't). Fourth, you cannot touch boost in Street Touring.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

The ST rules are being reworked for next year, but your car will run against the STi, M3's, etc. where ever that ends up.

Currently your car is an STU car, not STX. 2.0 is the displacement limit for an FI car in STX, but the EVO is specifically excluded.

The injectors and pump are not ST legal.

Also, the tune cannot alter stock boost levels to be ST legal. It also cannot remove or alter any CEL's due to emission issues (cat inefficiency, etc)
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
Austin Lanz

Post by Austin Lanz »

steve-
thanks, I did not see the Evo excluded in STX, just a M5? so maybe I was looking in the wrong section. So essentially, my fuel system modifications would push me into STM if I were to run street tires? I'm not sure exactly what you meant by touching the boost level, I can make it be at 19psi(factory setting) or as high as I dare turn the controller up. So would having it set at 19psi make it illegal, because I have the ability to alter it?
Austin Lanz
STM 12 Evo 8
Austin Lanz

Post by Austin Lanz »

-Chris

thanks. The tune doesn't turn off the CEL, it remains on the entire time the car is on.
Austin Lanz
STM 12 Evo 8
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Peak boost is not the issue. It's any alteration to the boost table at all.

Also, to be clearer, the CEL can't be on either. You would need an exhaust that will not throw a CEL
Chris Harp
steverife

Post by steverife »

Yeah. Cannot alter boost tables. Any changes in boost must be the result of mechanical changes, that of course fall within class rules.

If you aren't running nationally and want to run streets, STM would be a good place.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Austin Lanz

Post by Austin Lanz »

Does STM not fall under the same rules as the other ST* classes? Are the rules in STM more similar to SM (lots of motor and suspension mods) except street tires are required in STM? Does STM have the 140 UTCG rule? Or could the Advan's or R888's be run in STM? sorry for all the questions.
Austin Lanz
STM 12 Evo 8
steverife

Post by steverife »

140 treadwear and whatever the heck you want to do...
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Austin Lanz

Post by Austin Lanz »

thankyou.
Austin Lanz
STM 12 Evo 8
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

STM is not a national class though....so if you wanted to eventually go to those events, there would be no STM to jump into. Only STU/BSP/SM etc....
Chris Harp
Austin Lanz

Post by Austin Lanz »

I don't think I am ready to do any National stuff. So STM would be fine.But, If I ever decided to do nationals, I would just buy some 275 Hoosiers and do SM.
Austin Lanz
STM 12 Evo 8
flier129

Post by flier129 »

Remember stm doesn't have a pax, if that matters to you.

I think a few evos have done well st nationals in SM. keep in mind that its a big moneypit lol.
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
Austin Lanz

Post by Austin Lanz »

Yeah I kinda wanted to do something that had a Pax to it. Maybe my best bet is just staying in BSP and getting bigger tires and some more suspension pieces.
Austin Lanz
STM 12 Evo 8
Oberstwill

Post by Oberstwill »

You were ninth raw time, nineteenth pax in this region.....You could trophy at nationals I would bet.
William

I only own old cars.....

and I will beat you on SNOW tires............ ;)