Miata & STI Street Tire Question

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
disneyd
Site Admin

Miata & STI Street Tire Question

Post by disneyd »

So, it is about time to replace the street tires on the Miata.

I don't put a lot of non-autocross miles on it, probably about 2 to 3 thousand a year. So I don't really care about mileage life or noise.

What are the recommendations on the stickiest street tire that is still tolerable in the rain? I don't intentionally drive it in the rain, but I don't want to die if caught out in the rain on the interstate.

I'm thinking Star Specs, but there may be something better out there (Toyos ?).

Similar question on the STI, except I care a little more about mileage and noise. Really more about the noise as the stock Bridgestones are driving me deaf on the interstate. I'd still like a tire that is good for an occasional STU run. There may not be a compromise possible here (as in I wouldn't be surprised if there are no good STU tires that are quiet.)

Thanks for any input.
- Dave Disney
thrdeye

Re: Miata & STI Street Tire Question

Post by thrdeye »

I would do Toyos on the Miata and Hankook RS3 on the STi. Well, I'm not sure how wide the toyos are....so maybe kooks on both.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
dfsmith

Post by dfsmith »

For the Miata, those Toyos look like the way to go.

For the STI, you might look at General Exclaim UHPs. I got a set for the Miata years ago after daily driving Azenis sports for a few months. These were marketed as a high performance summer tire with a better treadwear and had great ratings on Tire Rack. For the money, I thought they were a great tire and wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.

Edit: Unfortunately, as I look them up now, the UHPs appear to be discontinued. There are a few places with a variety of sizes still available, but it's sparse. Looks like they have an ultra high performance all-season now, but that wouldn't be as much fun.
Last edited by dfsmith on Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Smith

'09 Honda Accord LX-P (daily beater/greyhound bus)
'08 Ford Ranger XL (parts & manure hauler)
'74 Porsche 914 (perpetual project car)
sentrase

Post by sentrase »

I would do Toyo's on the Miata and Star Specs on the Subaru.
Kristo K.
'13 Scion FR-S
STX 53
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

I can vouch for the star specs in the rain. As far as noise....well, I can't hear them over my car at high speed (not saying much here), nor over the stereo at low speed.
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo
youtube.com/lapoftheworld
EliseAutoXr

Post by EliseAutoXr »

I likey the Star-Specs ... run away from Khumo XS (on wet)
Bradley Allen
STM 7
06 Lotus Elise (some stock)
TennTechMan

Post by TennTechMan »

EliseAutoXr wrote:run away from Khumo XS (on wet)

Or if they're old and have no tread depth left.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

Dave the star spec is 200 tread wear,If you only put 2 to 3 k on them a year then they will rot before you burn them up.Unless you are a dragonholic.Due to the number of FING roofing nails in my rear tires this season I could not rotate them and the fronts still have tread to burn on my fwd civ.
Bob Colbert
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

Another +1 for the Specs. They will get noisy as they wear, but not RE070 noisy.

I've driven mine in the rain, and had no issues. For reference on wear, since March of last year, I've driven probably 7k miles on the street, AXed all last year and this year on them, and did several hundred miles at CMP in July (with a spin at one turn). I have about 1.5/32 of tread left. I'll be using them in December in Chatt. :D
2007 STI Limited #576, The Gentleman's STI, er Mistress, FOR SALE
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
Oberstwill

Post by Oberstwill »

I have had the Star Specs on the Honda for 3+ years now......Only one caveat with them.....THEY HATE COLD WEATHER..........I am finally taking them off the car because I want a better winter tire so I don't have to hike another two miles in the snow ..Zero traction in snow or on even a lightly covered road, and forget about getting up a steep hill with them, even in the Accord which has been unstoppable for @ 20 years.
William

I only own old cars.....

and I will beat you on SNOW tires............ ;)
rocket71

Post by rocket71 »

I love the Star Specs on the S2000. They perform in the rain and cold. I run the Hankooks during the summer as they are grippier in heat. I would think based upon STi drivers I know the Hankooks would not like the weight of the STi and wear quickly. My .02.
GT350
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

rocket71 wrote:I would think based upon STi drivers I know the Hankooks would not like the weight of the STi and wear quickly. My .02.
That's the general consensus in the STU setup thread on NASIOC.

I wouldn't recommend the Specs as a year-round tire, but as long as you're not driving on snow and ice you could manage, IMO.
2007 STI Limited #576, The Gentleman's STI, er Mistress, FOR SALE
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

Thanks everyone. From what's been posted so far I'm leaning towards Toyos on the Miata and Star Specs on the Subaru on some Rotas.

So, what sort of all season should I put on the OEM STI wheels for winter? I've always liked the Kumho ASXs as they're relatively cheap and have done well in light snow for me in the past. Any other recommendations?

Sounds like I'm buying a bunch of tires :roll:
- Dave Disney
integra55

Post by integra55 »

if you're putting tires on for the winter driving only then I would EMPHATICALLY, I say again EMPHATICALLY, say forget the idea of no-seasons.... they're called that for a reason ... they are a compromise that really does nothing well... get some dedicated winter tires... if you want the security of great traction on icy conditions then I'd recommend something like the Blizzak or the Graspic ... they're downside = they're great for 1 or 2 winters ... after that they're basically just very good snow tires.... nothing wrong with that , just you're paying a lot for snow tires....

if you want good snow traction without paying for the 1 - 2 seasons of icy traction then something like the Firestone Winterforce or what I have the Kelly Snowtracker... I've had them for 2 seasons ( put on at Thanksgiving and take off end of March) and you can't tell they've been used... and incredible traction in our 10 - 12" snows the past 2 yrs...
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
Z06Fix

Post by Z06Fix »

disneyd wrote:Thanks everyone. From what's been posted so far I'm leaning towards Toyos on the Miata and Star Specs on the Subaru on some Rotas.

So, what sort of all season should I put on the OEM STI wheels for winter? I've always liked the Kumho ASXs as they're relatively cheap and have done well in light snow for me in the past. Any other recommendations?

Sounds like I'm buying a bunch of tires :roll:
Dave, I just bought the new Kuhmo 4X's for my DD tires. I'm loving them so far, good steering feel and great grip for an all season :rockon:
Last edited by Z06Fix on Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2010 Subaru STI