Anybody tried Stoptech's new Street pads?

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
lcoleman

Post by lcoleman »

Just wondering how they stack up against the regular Hawk offerings, HP+ and such. They are about half the price of HP+ for my car on Tire Rack.

Looking for something on the ragged edge of daily drivable, with great fade resistance.
Lucas Coleman STM #72
SilverMaxima

Re: Anybody tried Stoptech's new Street pads?

Post by SilverMaxima »

What are they called...? Have you talked to Stoptech or a vendor of theirs?

Sent from The Gentleman's HTC Incredible via Tapatalk
Last edited by SilverMaxima on Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2007 STI Limited #576, The Gentleman's STI, er Mistress, FOR SALE
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
lcoleman

Post by lcoleman »

Er...Stoptech Street Performance pads? They're on TR, like I said. Either a new offering for e30s, or a new product altogether. $50/axle is enticing...
Lucas Coleman STM #72
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

lcoleman wrote:Er...Stoptech Street Performance pads? They're on TR, like I said. Either a new offering for e30s, or a new product altogether. $50/axle is enticing...
Ah, missed the TR mention. And screwed up my last post... I'd call TR, or Stoptech themselves and ask. At half the price of HP+, I doubt they'll take the same abuse or have the same braking ability. May be more a competitor for the HPS.

Sent from The Gentleman's HTC Incredible via Tapatalk
2007 STI Limited #576, The Gentleman's STI, er Mistress, FOR SALE
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
Z06Fix

Post by Z06Fix »

.40 CF. 60-1300F Temp Range

Everyone I talk to says it lacks in feel and in bite.

Its designed to target the Hawk HPS users. As it is the same .40 CF but has a much higher temp capacity. HPS: 60-800F
2010 Subaru STI
lcoleman

Post by lcoleman »

Thanks for the info! I was looking for a racer's perspective, instead of a vendor's. I hadn't found the temp range data, that is also helpful.
Lucas Coleman STM #72
Z06Fix

Post by Z06Fix »

No problem.

Hawk HP+'s are right at .45 CF with a 60-900F temp range. That 900 seems a bit low though as they really will take some heat. General consensus is they are good up to about 1100 degrees.
2010 Subaru STI
steverife

Post by steverife »

HPS with a greater heat tolerance sounds like a darn good pad to me.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Z06Fix

Post by Z06Fix »

steverife wrote:HPS with a greater heat tolerance sounds like a darn good pad to me.

No argument here. They should be a great upgrade/replacement for the guys who love the HPS's.

They just don't have the feel or bite of even an entry level race pad such as the HP+.
2010 Subaru STI
lcoleman

Post by lcoleman »

For the money, I think I'll try these out. I'm running Hawk Ceramic currently, so I think even a Flintstone-style braking system would work better. :lol:
Lucas Coleman STM #72
Pewter Sonoma

Post by Pewter Sonoma »

Let us know how they do, especially for dust. I got tired of the HP+ dusting so bad, so I switched to HPS for street use.
2011 ETR SCCA never made it to an event Champion
2001 Camaro SS Convertible - LS1, 6-speed, GMPP HotCam, Full Exhaust, Konis, Springs, Sways, Roll Cage, Wilwood Brakes.
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Pewter Sonoma wrote:Let us know how they do, especially for dust. I got tired of the HP+ dusting so bad, so I switched to HPS for street use.
Have you noticed any decrease in performance? I tried both on the old VW and couldn't really tell much difference except dust. Of course, my VW and your Camaro couldn't be much more different.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
Pewter Sonoma

Post by Pewter Sonoma »

MARKP wrote:
Pewter Sonoma wrote:Let us know how they do, especially for dust. I got tired of the HP+ dusting so bad, so I switched to HPS for street use.
Have you noticed any decrease in performance? I tried both on the old VW and couldn't really tell much difference except dust. Of course, my VW and your Camaro couldn't be much more different.
To be honest, I haven't tested them since...been tied up with other obligations and my knee surgery prevented me for the past few months. I'm going to speculate the HPS pads will fade faster, but for street use I was OK with that. I'm sure there will be a decrease in performance, but for clean wheels and quieter brakes, I'll take it. I have track pads and rotrs now anyway, so anytime I go to a track or the dragon, I'll switch them out before I go.
2001 Camaro SS Convertible - LS1, 6-speed, GMPP HotCam, Full Exhaust, Konis, Springs, Sways, Roll Cage, Wilwood Brakes.
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

I honestly don't think the HP+ were that bad in terms of dusting or noise. The stock pads in my Z4 are much worse. Only reason I didn't go with them for the new setup is that they aren't supposed to be much better than OEM Porsche pads, and I've got a crap ton of Padgid Black pads as spares.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
Pewter Sonoma

Post by Pewter Sonoma »

01badz28 wrote:I honestly don't think the HP+ were that bad in terms of dusting or noise. The stock pads in my Z4 are much worse. Only reason I didn't go with them for the new setup is that they aren't supposed to be much better than OEM Porsche pads, and I've got a crap ton of Padgid Black pads as spares.
Mine dusted like crazy. Perhaps you are not picky or you wheel finish is different than mine, but after a week of street driving (not even agressive), I would hate the look. I prefer my wheels clean, and I got tired of cleaning them. For the street, I don't think I will regret the switch (or even notice) to HPS.