7.3 power stroke help

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
rocket71

7.3 power stroke help

Post by rocket71 »

Well decided to go another direction with a tow vehicle. Picked up 2001 Excursion. Now I need some guidance or pointers in the right direction. There are so many sites with so much info. What is the best site? Really want a maintenance list with fluid types, filter #'s, list of suggested items to do to keep it going forever. Gary, where do you go?
GT350
John Brown

Re: 7.3 power stroke help

Post by John Brown »

ah..good choice. Me and my X bought one new in 2000. It now has over 500K on it. She kept it for the kids..its towed a race car all over the country. Had the original turbo replaced at 100K just becasue..it wasnt bad. The worst problem I had was brake vib and ball joints wearing out or binding up..overall,a great truck!

oh yea..two pinion seals replaced.
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
rocket71

Post by rocket71 »

John Brown wrote:ah..good choice. Me and my X bought one new in 2000. It now has over 500K on it. She kept it for the kids..its towed a race car all over the country. Had the original turbo replaced at 100K just becasue..it wasnt bad. The worst problem I had was brake vib and ball joints wearing out or binding up..overall,a great truck!

oh yea..two pinion seals replaced.
I have heard it is all about maintenance maintenance maintenance. Don't know the history of it but I want to get in front of it now.
GT350
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

For oil, just use the Diesel standard, Rotella. I used fram oil/air/fuel filters. I've not touched any other fluids yet. It's my understanding that the most important thing for the 7.3 is just to change those 4 pretty frequently.

Now, the fact that it is a ford, means that it's all the other little quirks that you'll actually ever need to mess with. Do your door locks work? They have been changed out if so... If they don't work, there is a trick with a piece of tin foil. The best thing about it being a ford tho, is there are thousands of other people who have already had whatever problem you are having and have usually not only found an inexpensive way to fix it, but also documented it for others.

My usual resources are:
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/
http://www.ford-trucks.com/
Googling what the problem is
-Gary Mitchell
Custom Magnet Numbers and Vinyl Graphics! | Unofficial Points Standings
01' Honda S2000 -99 BSR
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
99' F250 Super Duty
91' SVT GEO Metro (24HhoursOfLemons!)
rocket71

Post by rocket71 »

Yeah, it has a few minor issues. The door locks don't work. Needs shocks bad. Going to do all the fluids this weekend.
GT350
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

-Gary Mitchell
Custom Magnet Numbers and Vinyl Graphics! | Unofficial Points Standings
01' Honda S2000 -99 BSR
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
99' F250 Super Duty
91' SVT GEO Metro (24HhoursOfLemons!)
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

The 7.3 diesel section of ford-trucks.com is great. They also have a maintenance FAQ on there somewhere.

There are several little reliability fixes you can do. I've done the fuel tank and line mods and a few other things.

Also, make sure you have the right amount of additive in your coolant (if its green) or switch to one of the long life ELC coolants.

My truck likes Rotella T6... starts right up in sub-zero weather with no romping.
- Dave Disney
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

disneyd wrote:
My truck likes Rotella T6... starts right up in sub-zero weather with no romping.
Where you find sub zero weather?
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
whenry

Post by whenry »

I had the V-10 so other than guzzling more gas towing, my experience with Excursions was the same as JB's. The only real maintenance issue was going thru brakes(rotors and pads) every 22k but when you remember that the truck weighs 7k plus whatever you are towing, it shouldnt surprise you too much. JB was able to tune the trans to where it shifted better and we got it to where you could average 15mpg going downhill ie headed South and 13mpg towing my 20ft box trailer. Best of all, you didnt know the box was behind you and no tractor-trailer truck ever upset your day.
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
disneyd
Site Admin

7.3 power stroke help

Post by disneyd »

thrdeye wrote:
disneyd wrote:
Where you find sub zero weather?
Asheville this winter. Celsius.
- Dave Disney
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

Oh, if you do that power door lock fix, make sure you (or any passenger) never holds the lock/unlock button down... it'll smoke 'em.

The right way to fix them is to add a new external thermistor after you bypass the internal one, but people rarely do that (I haven't yet).
- Dave Disney
rocket71

Post by rocket71 »

disneyd wrote:Oh, if you do that power door lock fix, make sure you (or any passenger) never holds the lock/unlock button down... it'll smoke 'em.

The right way to fix them is to add a new external thermistor after you bypass the internal one, but people rarely do that (I haven't yet).
Let's see. So far....oil change, tranny service, coolant flush, diff fluid change, shocks all the around, fuel filter (it was nasty), all the front tie rods, (ball joints looked new).

The water pump started spewing fluid but only when it isn't running and till the system pressure goes down. So I need to replace it. I went ahead and just ordered 4 for actuators a they are all bad.

More to come.....
GT350
rocket71

Post by rocket71 »

Anyone use the Auto Enginuity software to do diagnostics? Ie....buzz test.
GT350
disneyd
Site Admin

7.3 power stroke help

Post by disneyd »

AE is the one to get. I'll buy it whenever I have the need for it.
- Dave Disney