92 rear miata hub removal

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
oldmuscle69

92 rear miata hub removal

Post by oldmuscle69 »

I got a ? Found one of the rear studs broke off but still holding a lug nut to the wheel. Question is once I remove the axel nut will the rear spindle pop off or do I need to remove the whole thing ? looks like rear backing plate is in the way for the hammer and clamp reinstall of the stud. since 1 was broke on front and now 1 on rear can the long studs be purchased local or on the web? And what about the lug nuts,since replacing the studs. I dont think I need to reuse the stock studs and nuts if they are breaking off. Oh BTW tire rack now has TOYOS are they to be found cheaper local? Thanks for real input guy's and gal's.
Bob Colbert
TennTechMan

Re: 92 rear miata hub removal

Post by TennTechMan »

I've never changed studs on a Miata, but I assume the rear uprights are assembled similar to the front uprights on a front drive car. If that's the case, you'll need to get the old hub/bearing pressed apart, and a new one pressed back in. Someone else should really answer that question though.

The Toyo's are still cheaper to get from Appalachian Race Tire (behind the airport).
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
whenry

Post by whenry »

There is a gap in the backing plate so that if everything works right(yes, that is a big qualifier) you can tap out the old wheel stud and replace it. BTW on a miata after 1991, the rear studs have a different knurl than the fronts.
For racing purposes, I would install the longer studs. You can buy the ones at Pep Boys or get them thru a racing shop. I would contact VanSteenberg at ISC and get his stuff. The really good ones have a section on the tip finished so that the nut slides right on and almost threads itself.
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

Wayne, what does PepBoys have? might not be a bad thing to use since I dont plan on doing pit stops were placement of lug nuts needs done in a split second. Plus getting them local goes faster.
whenry wrote:There is a gap in the backing plate so that if everything works right(yes, that is a big qualifier) you can tap out the old wheel stud and replace it. BTW on a miata after 1991, the rear studs have a different knurl than the fronts.
For racing purposes, I would install the longer studs. You can buy the ones at Pep Boys or get them thru a racing shop. I would contact VanSteenberg at ISC and get his stuff. The really good ones have a section on the tip finished so that the nut slides right on and almost threads itself.
Bob Colbert
whenry

Post by whenry »

Pep Boys used to have Moroso studs. You can also get them at Performance Products, Hot Rod Barn and probably several other places. ISC is a miata racing shop so I know that he has them.
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

Contacted ISC and was informed they use ARP studs. They do not make any. Took 2 sites to get studs and nuts ordered. I am not worried about the front hubs. But if any one has a link on take apart instructions on the rear hubs that would be great. If not I'll press the spindle out and then the bearings and put them back together.
Bob Colbert
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

Went to a shop today and learned more than I thought. Lets have some fun at our next event 8) 8) 8) Still might take a few more weekends for I can run the car.
Bob Colbert
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

Got a few parts today.began the install.Need to complete the rest in the AM. Just wanting to say this is a slow process,never knew !!!!! :oops: :oops:
Bob Colbert
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

need J Coatney to PM me I have a few ? on the shop equipment,I E A press.
Bob Colbert
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

kinda related.....

Linda has your nutz..

:mrgreen:
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

John Brown wrote:kinda related.....

Linda has your nutz..

:mrgreen:
Thanks JB I'll stop by as I pass through.
Bob Colbert