My plans next year. All members should read.

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
thrdeye

My plans next year. All members should read.

Post by thrdeye »

Hi everyone,

With elections coming up, I felt that I should post this here, in case what I'm about to say impacts any of your decisions with elections coming up.

My year in 2012 has been the best autocross year I've ever had. I went for it on the national level, and although I came up short at the big show, I did well enough that I am satisfied that with a bit more effort and refinement, I can win. In short, I've proven to myself what I have set out to prove. Also in 2012, I invested myself into the sport and gave back more than I have before - to a class I believe in, and to a club that is growing and moving forward.

Now that our condo is sold, we have a bit of extra cash available to us. It would make a pretty good racing budget actually :) But, as much as I would like that, the Director of Harp Operations and myself have agreed that those funds could be put to better use in the short term.

So with that said, 2013 is going to be a "no autocross" year for me. Even locals. Participating in local events still requires money and tires..... and hey, once you have a set of tires, why not go to that national tour that's only a few hours away?

If the membership still wants me to lead the club, I'm on board. In fact, I feel like getting away from competition can help with that in some ways. I will still be at meetings and club functions, of course. On the other hand, without being on the front lines and attending a lot of events, absorbing what's happening at our events and nationally, there is a certain detachment that occurs that is unavoidable.

In closing, I only felt it fair to divulge this information. Not only for the best interest of the club, but also to hold myself accountable for the commitment I have made to myself and my household for 2013.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
John Brown

Re: My plans next year. All members should read.

Post by John Brown »

thats good to know...

Your still a good Candidate.... and ,
We will see you in Cecil !!! :lol:
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

John Brown wrote: We will see you in Cecil !!! :lol:
:lol2:
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
steverife

Post by steverife »

Regardless of what happens going forward, thanks and it was good that you were back out more this past year.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

I'd still vote for you for RE. I know the feeling about life getting in the way of the truly important stuff, like autocross, so good luck. :mrgreen:
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Yeah I may need a co-driver if Scooter can't go and they are about the same size. Start thinking mustang Chris............JY
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
rocket71

Post by rocket71 »

Hey! Don't quit because you went the wrong direction at Adesa. It could happen to anyone! :-)
GT350
rocracing2004

Post by rocracing2004 »

Heck to be honest with you Chris I would think being RE should pay one set of tires per year served. With that said we look forward to seeing you at all the events this year. :D

RC
mutant

Post by mutant »

cris-your commitment and honesty are so appreciated-that i will let you run the metro next year :pirate:
it can only help to improve your image with mankind...you might even be elected vice president or something... :rockon: :lol2:
`93 geo metro conv.
`90 miata
`88crx-ita, 2002 STS Ford Focus SVT-presently mutated :(Image

steve haupt-the one and only.........................so far..................................................
CABoegemann

Post by CABoegemann »

Thanks for your dedication and hard work with the club, Chris. I will be nominating you for RE. See you in Cecil. :rockon:
........ _____
........./____,\__
........(o)_l___(o)

'05 MINI Cooper S
whenry

Post by whenry »

Chris, racing is not a requirement for the office of RE. Leadership ability, commitment to ETR and SCCA, and common sense are requirements. The very things that make good drivers actually impede the RE's ability to do a good job. It has always been my opinion that you have the talents to be an RE and you shouldnt let managements change in priorities affect going forward as RE unless you think that you wont follow through with the job. It probably took you 1/2 of the last year to figure out just the basics of the job and who you could count on to help you accomplish the goals for ETR. You will do better and the job will be easier next year.
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
DYoder

Post by DYoder »

Chris,

You've done a great job as RE. I especially appreciate all of your hard work on our benefit events. I know these are challenging. And, we members don't always make it easy, even though we do try. I can't say that I'm looking forward to breaking in someone new :) I know a little bit about hard choices, and so I won't try to influence your decisions. Just know that I appreciate everything that you and the Director have contributed.

Dave
gbwrx

Post by gbwrx »

I want your wheels and shocks. :lol:

I wasn't around much this past year so I can't really comment much. But, Chris you seemed to do VERY well at the few meetings I went to. Thanks for all your time and effort put into this club.
2013 WRX