Tires for the shelby

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
jcox07

Tires for the shelby

Post by jcox07 »

I need new street tires for the GT500 and would like to get a set that I could also use as rain tires at nationals. Any tire that would be good at this?JY
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
MARKP

Re: Tires for the shelby

Post by MARKP »

My Dad's vette has some sort of Goodyear F1 tires that came on it from the factory. They are gummy and seem to do well in the rain.

Sent from the Galaxy
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

What about some RS3's? Are you on 18's? I know a lot of the Corvettes run them.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

It will be on 19's and it has goodyear f1 supercar tires and they sux. Strano calls them goodskates and I agree, when Gary M drove it at his school at walter state on them he didn't like it at all. Any one ever ran the toyo 888's on a heavy car? JY
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
ke0ki2k

Post by ke0ki2k »

They make RS3's in 19's now - wide ones too: 305's and 275's. Theyre not the best rain tire in the world though, and they're STUPID expensive in that size. Yokohama AD08's might be your best bet in the 19" size
James Cathers - PFS #192 E92 M3 | TT4 E36 M3
EliseAutoXr

Post by EliseAutoXr »

Probably not much help, but I liked the R888's on my "non-heavy" car. Seemed like a good generalist (I DD'd, autox'd and track'd) tire.
Bradley Allen
STM 7
06 Lotus Elise (some stock)
CABoegemann

Post by CABoegemann »

Just read about these today.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... Contact+DW

but in a 19, 285's are as wide as you can get. They don't look like rain tires to me, but several people said they were great in HEAVY rain... (STR thread, Miata.net)
Last edited by CABoegemann on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
........ _____
........./____,\__
........(o)_l___(o)

'05 MINI Cooper S
jhix33

Post by jhix33 »

The consensus among magazine/forum testing has been that the fastest street tire in the rain is the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. The Continental DW is a close second for less cash. I haven't looked so see about 19" sizes though.

I have F1 Supercars on my daily wheels. They're great if you enjoy some unintentional drifting at part throttle.
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

jhix33 wrote:The consensus among magazine/forum testing has been that the fastest street tire in the rain is the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. The Continental DW is a close second for less cash. I haven't looked so see about 19" sizes though.

I have F1 Supercars on my daily wheels. They're great if you enjoy some unintentional drifting at part throttle.
Come to think of it, I think my dad's car has the Michelins. I know the option was for one or the other.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
ke0ki2k

Post by ke0ki2k »

jhix33 wrote:The consensus among magazine/forum testing has been that the fastest street tire in the rain is the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. The Continental DW is a close second for less cash.
faster than star specs or R1R's? :shock:
James Cathers - PFS #192 E92 M3 | TT4 E36 M3
TennTechMan

Post by TennTechMan »

This is probably no help for JY since I don't know if they're available in 19's, but I have been really impressed with the wet grip of the Star Specs. We've got them on both the RX-8 and the Focus. I thought the R1R's were good at full depth too. That's all street experience though. The only tires I've autocrossed in the rain have been shaved R1R's.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
jhix33

Post by jhix33 »

ke0ki2k wrote:
jhix33 wrote:The consensus among magazine/forum testing has been that the fastest street tire in the rain is the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. The Continental DW is a close second for less cash.
faster than star specs or R1R's? :shock:
Grassroots tested the Contis head to head with those tires and found them faster in the wet: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articl ... sh-splash/

That was done before the Michelin PSS hit the market, and I think there was a Tire Rack test that showed the PSS edging out the DW. If it were me, I would go with the DW based on price. The PSS looks to be offered in a lot more wide 19" sizes though.
jpvette

Post by jpvette »

I have been using Bridgestone RE-11's on my vette for the last 4 or 5 autocrosses and have been very pleased with the performance. I have not raced in the rain yet but have driven several times in the rain with them. They seem to grip well in the wet. 180 treadwear,lot's of sizes and good wear so far.
Jim Lindsey
'02 Z06
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

In a previous magazine test, the Star Spec and Yokohama AD08 KILLED every other ST tire in wet conditions. The R1R was in that test, but I don't think the Conti/Michelin were. I have yet to find fault with the Star Specs on my car in any condition including monsoon.

From a semi-race tire standpoint, the R888 do work well in the wet on a light car (I have a set for my MR2), but I hear the Toyo RA1 is better if it comes in the right size. No experience with the latter though.
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo
youtube.com/lapoftheworld
TennTechMan

Post by TennTechMan »

Wheelman_13 wrote:In a previous magazine test, the Star Spec and Yokohama AD08 KILLED every other ST tire in wet conditions. The R1R was in that test,

I've always wondered how the R1R compared to the Star Spec in the wet. I'm glad people go to the trouble of doing these tests and then publishing them.

I guess the STC and STS crowd use full depth R1R's for rains more for the contingency money.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers