Regional #1

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
Jek

Re: Regional #1

Post by Jek »

John's data pretty much jives with what I've read elsewhere...the BFG's are amazing on heavier cars but "meh" on lighter stuff. I think I'll be getting a set after the Dunlop Z1's on the M3 wear out, probably after the Evo school for me and Dixie for both me and Jed, heh.

Had a great time today, very interesting to try to learn to drive the car on the new suspension. I definitely have a LOT to learn about adjustment with the adjustable sway bar and compression and rebound on all four corners (not even counting all the adjustable alignment stuff, heh). The car handled so beautifully in some spots and so bouncy in others, bet if I knew what I was doing I could figure that out!

I also figured out on my 5th run that I had traction control on all day and completely forgot about it, so that's why I wasn't able to put the power down like I wanted to all day. Turned it off for my 6th run and promptly dropped 2.5 seconds off my time despite a mediocre run in terms of driving, hah. Oh well, I've learned my lesson and won't forget it again, that's for sure :)
David Black
Johnson City, TN
'97 BMW M3 - STU 48
TennTechMan

Post by TennTechMan »

It was good to shake down the Geo today before it's first "real" race. My first run resulted in fuel starving the car so bad that it had to be pushed off course. One of Seanan's runs resulted in a radiator hose removing itself from the car. Found that the tires were rubbing on what was left of Geo fenders. We realized the thermostat is sticking. Then a radiator hose popped loose on Brandon. Finally, something is causing the starter to not work sometimes. All of these things would have really slowed us down during the Lemons race.

I feel pretty good about finishing mid-pack of STM in a car that less than 24 hours of moving under it's own power.

If all goes as planned, next week is going to be an absolute blast!
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
flier129

Post by flier129 »

ke0ki2k wrote:R1R's were faster on John's car. Kristo was on the R1R's all day I think.

First time I've been genuinely pissed off at myself leaving an autox in a while (since bristol years ago). Hopefully I got all the shit out from between my ears before Dixie next weekend.

Yeah, his data from today just confuses me more on tire choice, damnit. This weekend will tell us more and GRM's article will be helpful beginning of next month.

I think we both know why you got so pissed today :P. Although, my alignment is terrible and I'll be fixing it this week before dixie, lol.
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

I'm of no help with the tire debate, but those Z2's sure were fun. Didn't hurt that the car was an absolute blast. I'm excited for next weekend
-Gary Mitchell
Custom Magnet Numbers and Vinyl Graphics! | Unofficial Points Standings
01' Honda S2000 -99 BSR
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
99' F250 Super Duty
91' SVT GEO Metro (24HhoursOfLemons!)
steverife

Post by steverife »

I haven't kept up the way I typically would, but I was under the impression that the Rival was all puppy dogs and ice cream cones and the R1R's had been relegated to swing and wall duty.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
integra55

Post by integra55 »

flier129 wrote:
ke0ki2k wrote:R1R's were faster on John's car. Kristo was on the R1R's all day I think.

First time I've been genuinely pissed off at myself leaving an autox in a while (since bristol years ago). Hopefully I got all the shit out from between my ears before Dixie next weekend.

Yeah, his data from today just confuses me more on tire choice, damnit. This weekend will tell us more and GRM's article will be helpful beginning of next month.

I think we both know why you got so pissed today :P. Although, my alignment is terrible and I'll be fixing it this week before dixie, lol.
so, as I've mentioned to a couple of people ... I think I'm glad I corded one of my nearly worn out R1R's at the 24 hr last Labor Day ... made me go ahead and buy a new set of R1R's .... now I can just sit back and wait for everyone else figure out what if any tire is the new "must have" ....
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
sentrase

Post by sentrase »

Rivals were a surprise. They are very easy to like tire- reasonably priced, wear well and no shaving needed. 1 second difference on back-to-back runs is massive and unless they need break-in or they are bees-knees on a concrete, I don't see them trouncing R1R on light cars.
Kristo K.
'13 Scion FR-S
STX 53
flier129

Post by flier129 »

Here's my 58.4xx run
http://youtu.be/wDTS6LNhLWM
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
integra55

Post by integra55 »

oh .... meant to say ... well done for getting the results out so quickly ... I left as the second run group was getting started .... they were up by the time I got home .... :rockon:
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
Fuelrush

Post by Fuelrush »

I'm a little confused. Out of the novice results where did I place. Novice wasn't on live results and they only named top 4. Looks like I had a low time but the calc thing can be confusing. Thanks. I had a ton of fun today, I think I got my brother in-law hooked :-) Thanks all!
Justin Dougherty
2006 Lotus Exige
2002 Honda S2000 #15 STR (Sold but not forgotten)
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Looks like you finished second in STR open. You're not on the novice list so maybe you didnt get checked off at registration.

Anyway you shouldn't run novice. You're fast enough to be in open. We can still put you in there if you want but id stay in open

sent from typotalk
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
Fuelrush

Post by Fuelrush »

I think your talking about the other black s2k driven by Pual. I only wish that was my time ;-) I'm #15 - Justin Dougherty
Justin Dougherty
2006 Lotus Exige
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Oh derp.

You were 8th

http://www.etrscca.org/soloii/results/2 ... ookies.htm

sent from typotalk
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
TedV

Post by TedV »

A big thanks to JY for letting me warm the tires on the mustang :rockon: :rockon:

Novice results, click where you see novice on the linked page http://etrscca.org/soloii/results/2013/results.html

Derp, slow posting with the phone.. :oops:
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
Fuelrush

Post by Fuelrush »

If my raw time was faster and my pax time was too what time are we going by?
Justin Dougherty
2006 Lotus Exige