Welding classes??

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
TedV

Welding classes??

Post by TedV »

any recommendations for good places to learn to properly weld? I know Tn Tech on Liberty St. has a 70 hr night course that prepares you for certification. any other ideas??

Thanks
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
tscott

Post by tscott »

They teach a course at Anderson County High School as well. I think it was a several week long couse that met on Tuesday and Thurday nights from 6-10 pm.
Tyler Scott
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

How much do these courses usually cost?[/list]
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
whenry

Post by whenry »

I think that Stan Hinds did the 70 hr course but on a non-credit status. I would love to learn how to weld. It would be so helpful in car prep.
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
Tyler H

Post by Tyler H »

Surely someone connected to the ETR SCCA family is a professional welder? Maybe someone will step forward and offer to teach some classes for a reasonable amount. If we could get 5-6 folks interested. I would be down for some welding classes.
TedV

Post by TedV »

if I read the Tn Tech web page correctly, looks like $264. I haven't talked to them yet. Unless it's substantially cheaper to do it non-credit, I figure might as well get the certification. I could grab a book and a welder and figure it out, but I say it's better to learn it right the first time. quicker too
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

I think our only professional welder is in Iraq right now.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
whenry

Post by whenry »

Joe Henslee?
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
dfoulk

Post by dfoulk »

TedV wrote:if I read the Tn Tech web page correctly, looks like $264. I haven't talked to them yet. Unless it's substantially cheaper to do it non-credit, I figure might as well get the certification. I could grab a book and a welder and figure it out, but I say it's better to learn it right the first time. quicker too
If you can afford the time and money, getting certified is definitely the way to go. A welder certified to the requirements in AWS (American Welding Society) standards would be a better welder and have much better employment opportunities as a welder with higher salary.

Dewey
Williampreza

Post by Williampreza »

dfoulk wrote:
TedV wrote:if I read the Tn Tech web page correctly, looks like $264. I haven't talked to them yet. Unless it's substantially cheaper to do it non-credit, I figure might as well get the certification. I could grab a book and a welder and figure it out, but I say it's better to learn it right the first time. quicker too
If you can afford the time and money, getting certified is definitely the way to go. A welder certified to the requirements in AWS (American Welding Society) standards would be a better welder and have much better employment opportunities as a welder with higher salary.

Dewey
Most fabrication/welding shops will have their own test for anyone applying for employment, regardless of your certification. However, getting certified is a good way to ensure that you have reached a skill level that will allow you to pass any of these. (Learned this from asking around about the same question.)
Will Lavender
#44 HS Nissan Frontier?
steverife

Post by steverife »

Context clues suggest that this guy is a welder. :lol:

I assume that is who Mark is talking about.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

not cbring wrote:Context clues suggest that this guy is a welder. :lol:

I assume that is who Mark is talking about.
That'd be him. I think he is due back mid next year.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story