Jumping in the deep end

Discussions related to Solo
rocket71

Jumping in the deep end

Post by rocket71 »

Help!?! (or maybe not). I am in serious discussions with Robert regarding his SSP Vette. I am trying to get as much info on tire budget, operating costs, pro's / con's of such a huge move. Any thoughts? I have never been behind the wheel of a r-comp car so this is a whole new ball game for me. My S2k was my first autox car and feel it is very close to being all it can be. Giving up now would be a huge risk but damn the fun that Vette would be for a long time to come.

BTW...for this to happen I am going to need to part out or sell the S2k. I got some biters on the car and parts but since I have been somewhat non-commital nothing real serious.

I have spoken with Robert, Jr. Johnson, & Andy Hohl so I think I got a pretty good idea of what I would be getting myself into, I am just looking for ya'lls opinions too.
GT350
thrdeye

Re: Jumping in the deep end

Post by thrdeye »

I don't think there's anyone here that can advise you better than those three.

You already trailer, already have a dedicated car, so in that regard, it's about the same.

Hoosiers are more expensive and wear faster, but Roberts car is pretty gentle on them believe it or not. You still (IMO) need to be prepared to drop cash for new ones if you're trying to win a tour or a pro if the tires have more than 40 runs on them.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
rocket71

Post by rocket71 »

Tire math is looking like 3 sets a year if I meet my goal of 4 Pros and 4 tours. Then use them up at locals.

All the SSP say they are easy on tires. Up to 30 runs for national events and then I gave been quoted as high as 100 to 120 till they are wasted.

Andy suggested using tires up to 60 runs for national events till I am within .3 of the to dog. He said data shows they are still sticky but don't feel right.

What other tire options are there while I just getting used to the speed?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
GT350
flier129

Post by flier129 »

Could test some BFGs.....

wait wait wait wait..... that's a bad idea..

I think you would have a lot of fun with the car, but the initial getting-use-to phase would most likely leave you frustrated. You would probably get over that quickly from the fun factor and you picked up on auto-x in general really fast IIRC.
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

You can get used hoosiers from Lee Grasser from our club he has a contract with hoosier and they are pretty good tread when he gets them... about 60-75% tread and good build dates and those are about 300-400 a set and you could use those for locals and get by with probly one new set for nats and pros.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
steverife

Post by steverife »

It is hard to believe that there were only 5 SSP cars at nats.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
rocket71

Post by rocket71 »

jcox07 wrote:You can get used hoosiers from Lee Grasser from our club he has a contract with hoosier and they are pretty good tread when he gets them... about 60-75% tread and good build dates and those are about 300-400 a set and you could use those for locals and get by with probly one new set for nats and pros.
How do I reach him? I emailed Robert about what size he runs. If this is true then I will likely fully commit.
steverife wrote:It is hard to believe that there were only 5 SSP cars at nats.
Point taken.
GT350
steverife

Post by steverife »

I'm not sure I have a point.

Heck, I'm talkin' GP and they only had 4 cars --- though I bet replacing the 5 or 6 or whatever time champ with me would draw some more people out.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
jhix33

Post by jhix33 »

I've always heard good things about the quality/service/price from this guy: http://www.jbracingtires.net/

I bought 50-60 run 315/30/18s from Carter&Jim Thompson when I had my 350z. I seem to remember them having some 335/30/18s as well.

Out of curiosity, what would you be asking for the S2K as is?
steverife

Post by steverife »

If you are buying a couple set of new tires for national events, do you even need used tires?

4 Pros/4 Tours is a minimum of 72 runs (1 driver, no challenges). You are probably going to want 2 sets of tires for that and 1 set for nats. Are you going to take more than 250 runs at locals per year?
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

rocket71 wrote:Any thoughts?
I think the learning curve in that car is going to be steep.

If I were buying that car, my top budget priority would be learning everything I could about autocrossing it well from Robert (as in local-ish co-drives, at every opportunity).

I'll bet it would take a full year (at least) to beat him in that car (for the brightest of talented drivers). Probably more like two years.

Not to discourage you - just trying to point your budget in the most cost effective direction...
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
rocket71

Post by rocket71 »

Thanks for all the tire info! I am going to need it. Now I just need to get some details worked out to get this process rolling.

As Collette confirmed for me, I am getting in way over my head. I am going to have re-train myself. I argue I have never been trained.

I hope this can be done for Blytheville. I have a located a great set of tires (24 runs) for it plus a couple other sets. I would love to take the EVO Challenge School so Andy Hohl can get some seat time with me. That would be the best way to start and maybe get Robert to come out too.

Andy told me to just run used tires at everything but Nats. At tours & pro's, he would stay on tires with under 60 runs. Once I get to within .3 seconds of Tharpe then I need to be running under 30 run tires to beat him. That makes sense to me.
GT350
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

MikeKelly wrote:
I think the learning curve in that car is going to be steep.

If I were buying that car, my top budget priority would be learning everything I could about autocrossing it well from Robert (as in local-ish co-drives, at every opportunity).

I'll bet it would take a full year (at least) to beat him in that car (for the brightest of talented drivers). Probably more like two years.

Not to discourage you - just trying to point your budget in the most cost effective direction...
not to discourage at all.... but this made me snicker.
If I was gonna buy this car,Id look at it as if I was buying D. Whiteners CRX..... I can take his record with it... and aim at the very best... 1 spot lower.
:lol:
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

Well, SSP might change over the next 2 years depending on how the classing plays out with the street classes, so that's somewhat of a 'in flux' thing.

Robert has commented that the car is very easy on tires. My Z is getting oever 70-100 runs on tires from new and they still work when driven by fast guys.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
rocracing2004

Post by rocracing2004 »

Berry is even faster than before by about 2-4 seconds. Good luck Berry and keep us posted on what you think about driving a big bad power car.

RC