Looking to make a comeback!

Discussions related to Solo
onebadbugeye

Looking to make a comeback!

Post by onebadbugeye »

Hey all my ETR friends. After taking almost all of 2013 off I am looking to make a comeback. I have made many changes to my Subaru over the winter and hope to get as much seat time as possible in it this year and who knows maybe win an event or two.

Here is my current issue, do I stay in STM and race there all year an use up my current tires or do I spend the money on slicks and take the car to the next level of grip and run in SM?

Thoughts?
Chris "Scooter" Anderson
03 stock and slo WRX
TennTechMan

Re: Looking to make a comeback!

Post by TennTechMan »

If I were you, I'd stick to STM. At least locally. I don't expect there to be enough extra fun to cover the costs of A6's for a high power AWD car at Pellissippi. If you want to try a national event or two in the car, get some A6's for that.

I predict STM to be a tough class this year. Gary and I made some pretty big changes to the Geo over the winter. It's starting to feel like a mostly-sorted car.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
onebadbugeye

Post by onebadbugeye »

I have a feeling STM is going to be really tough this year, especially for me. It has been 2 years since I have really raced the car, I have had little to no practice and not to mention The last year I raced was in a high power RWD. I have a lot of catching up to do. Thanks for the input
Chris "Scooter" Anderson
03 stock and slo WRX
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Everyone knows my opinion on Hoosiers, but no way would I pay $1300 to run our local SM class. NO OFFENSE to anyone locally running SM, but most of the time someone ends up in SM because of some random modification or because they have thrown a turbo on their car. Not because they have a prepped SM car.

For $1300, I'd go drive the SM GT-R that was looking for a codriver at a national event, twice.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
onebadbugeye

Post by onebadbugeye »

thrdeye wrote:Everyone knows my opinion on Hoosiers, but no way would I pay $1300 to run our local SM class. NO OFFENSE to anyone locally running SM, but most of the time someone ends up in SM because of some random modification or because they have thrown a turbo on their car. Not because they have a prepped SM car.

For $1300, I'd go drive the SM GT-R that was looking for a codriver at a national event, twice.
Chris that is me. As you know my car is modified out of almost any class except STM or SM. It is not "prepped" for anything per-say. I have actually considered taking a lot of parts off the car to make it ASP legal but I don't really have the time or money to do all that and have the car re-tuned. Therefor I will end up in the run what ya brung class.
Chris "Scooter" Anderson
03 stock and slo WRX
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

For the record, I'm still somewhat torn on what I'll end up running this year. STM will be fun, but I'm also going to be breaking myself into and tuning the car to run on R888s on the track which, in spite of the other thread aren't STM legal. I'll probably end up in ASP if there is anyone to play with or more likely just get murdered in P-ASP.

Having said that, I do plan to get some ST tires for the "street" in a month or two that I'd probably also end up autocrossing on, so I could still see trying to run enough events in STM to keep you, Lyndell, and the Geo crew honest.
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo
youtube.com/lapoftheworld
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

600.00 dollars to Lee will get you 2-3 sets of good A-6's and you could get all our locals with that many sets of hoosiers and still way cheaper than any good set of street tires you can get for the subie, and by the way... way more fun on the hoosiers as you well know from co-driving with me.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
TedV

Post by TedV »

Once you try racers crack, you can never go back.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
onebadbugeye

Post by onebadbugeye »

Wheelman_13 wrote:For the record, I'm still somewhat torn on what I'll end up running this year. STM will be fun, but I'm also going to be breaking myself into and tuning the car to run on R888s on the track which, in spite of the other thread aren't STM legal. I'll probably end up in ASP if there is anyone to play with or more likely just get murdered in P-ASP.

Having said that, I do plan to get some ST tires for the "street" in a month or two that I'd probably also end up autocrossing on, so I could still see trying to run enough events in STM to keep you, Lyndell, and the Geo crew honest.
I vote you run ASP or P-ASP :? I have enough people to keep me honest in STM :lol:
Chris "Scooter" Anderson
03 stock and slo WRX
steverife

Post by steverife »

The draw to running R's in SM is that you get to run R's in a pretty fast car. You can still look at PAX or raw or whatever.

Since the plan right now is to not travel, I've thought about running the CRX on R's or finding something fun and doing a mild SM build --- like an F/I 240sx on 285/30/18's.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

steverife wrote:The draw to running R's in SM is that you get to run R's in a pretty fast car. You can still look at PAX or raw or whatever.

Since the plan right now is to not travel, I've thought about running the CRX on R's or finding something fun and doing a mild SM build --- like an F/I 240sx on 285/30/18's.
You should hassle TJ about his F/I 240sx. He has it back together now after tidying it up some. 'not pretty, but solid enough mechanically for open track, nevermind autocross.
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo
youtube.com/lapoftheworld
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

No rife, you should finally...FINALLY buy something with a V8 and RWD. If your fail pn Rs, take it to CAM.

sent from typotalk
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
steverife

Post by steverife »

If i buy something like that, it'll be a drag racer.

I've toyed with that idea, buying/building something for drag and trying to buying into a co-drive for autocross.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

How fast are you in high heels and what is your fave color for the race?
Bob Colbert
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

Ops sorry Scoob,meant that one for Steve not you.
Bob Colbert