self check

Discussions related to Solo
oldmuscle69

self check

Post by oldmuscle69 »

Just a reminder, please jack your cars up and check all wheels and mounting points. I just checked and found the last alignment was done with the left side lower ball joint very loose. I was wondering what that clattering noise was. also found the right lower ball joint missing a cotter pin. Very glad I did not have a failure on course.(sort of a wake up call) If you rely on someone else doing the work. ************ now does tech need a jack?????????????? Wheel seemed solid on the ground but once lifted it wobbled badly. This could put tech back into tech if lifting wheels.It should a bit more than hands on top of a tire. Thanks.
Bob Colbert
jcox07

Re: self check

Post by jcox07 »

I do not want me or the club to have to pay for some ones car when it falls off the jack and really jacks up the oil pan like I did to my car and it was a 800.00 fix. I do not think we need to be taking every car and jacking it up, if it does not move when KK pulls on it, I think that is good enough.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

oldmuscle69 wrote:Just a reminder, please jack your cars up and check all wheels and mounting points. I just checked and found the last alignment was done with the left side lower ball joint very loose. I was wondering what that clattering noise was. also found the right lower ball joint missing a cotter pin. Very glad I did not have a failure on course.(sort of a wake up call) If you rely on someone else doing the work. ************ now does tech need a jack?????????????? Wheel seemed solid on the ground but once lifted it wobbled badly. This could put tech back into tech if lifting wheels.It should a bit more than hands on top of a tire. Thanks.
for the record...
I didn't do this alignment.. :lol:

and agree with JY.. nobody jacks up my car but me or a knowledgeable co-driver. :pirate:
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
TedV

Post by TedV »

At PCA events, I don't even let them check the torque on my wheels. I will torque em with my torque wrench while they watch. :wink:
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

Ok then, just was saying what I felt at the moment and agree with all that posted. I've been looking for the cause of the noise for a while and never thought I would find what I did. Mote so after having it lined up twice and it still sucked.
Bob Colbert
TennTechMan

Post by TennTechMan »

TedV wrote:At PCA events, I don't even let them check the torque on my wheels. I will torque em with my torque wrench while they watch. :wink:

I have done the exact same thing. I don't know what that guy's torque wrench is set to.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
TennTechMan

Post by TennTechMan »

Personally, i can't tell anything without jacking the car up. Kristo however has some kind of special talent for picking on that stuff. On a few occasions he has noticed something i couldn't feel even on a jack. A couple events later, and i would be replacing a bearing or something.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
steverife

Post by steverife »

The one time that PCA got to my car before I could hand them my pre-set torque wrench, they torqued my wheels to at least 100 ft-lbs.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

I agree with John and JY - no need for tech to take on the added responsibility and potential liability of putting a car in the air.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

OK ,lets leave it as the Lawyer spoke it. I'm done on this. P.S.yes Kristo does have the magic tech shake thing going on. Been there and busted on the civic.
Bob Colbert
thewelder

Post by thewelder »

He found a jam nut on one of my rod ends was loose. I tightened it up and all was good. Chad
*Chad Summey*

E mod 78 lotus seven clone.