Atlanta Match Tour

Discussions related to Solo
flier129

Re: Atlanta Match Tour

Post by flier129 »

Man, I really hate rain. It messed me up bad, lol.
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
flier129

Post by flier129 »

What an event! I had more fun running in the rain today than I did yesterday. Maybe it was because I was expecting rain and the conditions were pretty consistent for all of the competitions. It might of been consistently bad, but consistent non the less.

Didn't finish anywhere close to what I wanted, messed up my last run which is the only run I got on video....

http://youtu.be/3XKZkfKvdCc

I know where I could of made up a lot of time before even making this run, but I couldn't execute :( I also know where I could of made up more time after watching this video. Any good feedback is appreciated it!
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Absolute worst performance in my career.. the timing of the rain was truly unbelievable.. even the grid chief would make fun of it.. :( "its raining again guys.. must be time for the second drivers" :?

Sunday was even worse.. the whole front row of drivers got almost dry first runs.. then the monsoons set in and I had 3/32 tires on.. good for misting wet conditions.. but no match for the ensueing massive puddleing that came about as I was running... I couldn't even see the course most of the time from the spray going forward from the tires.. :lol:

And all this was on top of the fact that the course was so HP favored it wasn't even close for the little cars. After Saturday, you had to go outside the top 20 to get below 250 hp range. And Im sure some of that was the 3rd group got a totally dry course with 80 degree temps to run in.. but still..

Not the best National Iv ever been to. and I hated it for the new folks that went. Normally they are not this conditioned... :(
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
steverife

Post by steverife »

Pretty bummed. I was really ready to see what I could do against John and the rest of everyone else in STS.... in the dry. I kinda lost my head with the on again off again rain. I still had a chance to do something with my last run Saturday, but I didn't have the right mindset.

None of STS made the Saturday challenge, then Kristo was the only one to make it out of the first round of whatever we were doing yesterday.

Hanging out was great, though.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Scoob

Post by Scoob »

Rain sucks - and it looks like Lincoln is going to be another rain event this year! Arrrggg.

How was the Match format this time? Were there any significant changes that made it more interesting? I don't plan to do one this year, but I'm curious to keep up with the tweaks they are making.
Scott Boito
#68 CAM-S C5 Z06
SEDIV SSS

BetterOffRacing
steverife

Post by steverife »

No one knows.

I pretty sure that if you kept your helmet on and just stayed in your car in grid, you could have kept running until the very end.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Not a good example I don't think. Every body was too busy seeking shelter rather than paying attention to what was going on or any kind of planning.
Kinda like Ark Pro this year. :lol:

Luckiest guy down there.. Scott Dobler. He actually got sunshine back together... IN THE SUNSHINE!! That would have been a real pain to do in the rain.. :?
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Not a big fan of this course design as it did not flow well at all. The only thing that was really fun was sliding around and then hitting the part of the surface that was brick and then you had all kinds of grip, but as soon as you hit the paved sealed part it was back to oooooh I have no grip but all in all not a bad lot, just a bad course and it was a HP course for sure. So atlanta HP course and wilmington a st course, maybe peru will be the best for all classes.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
rocracing2004

Post by rocracing2004 »

I had a great time but ran in the first run group so no rain Saturday. I want to thank Mark Pilson and JY for their help changing tires on Saturday! I appreciate it and if anybody wants to know new Toyo tires need to be scrubbed bad! The older tires John gave me were over a second faster and I appreciate John's advise.

This was my first National Event for about 2 years and thought the format was great fun, but the course wasn't fun at all. I think the national staff should have stepped forward and changed the course and a little changes would have made it a lot more fun for all cars. I can say this as I won my class but out of the Sunday event on the second round. I hated to see all of our ETR people getting the shaft and having to run under those conditions.

I am looking forward to seeing everybody at our next event.

RC
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Felt like old times having Rob back out in a car I could relate to.. :mrgreen: Rob however, you went invisible when the beer drinkin started.. :lol:
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

John Brown wrote:Felt like old times having Rob back out in a car I could relate to.. :mrgreen: Rob however, you went invisible when the beer drinkin started.. :lol:
Thats why you need to drive my car and relate to it with some feedback to make it a little better!!!!!
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
rocracing2004

Post by rocracing2004 »

It was good to be back out and as you can see purchasing this car I plan on being there a lot more going forward. Yes we need to drink more beers together like the old days! I always think about that trip you and I made down to South GA for the divisional event that they had those guys with the girls at that party we went to. :D I have had a lot of fun over the years hanging with my friends and autocross family and Kellye and I are looking forward to hanging with you soon.

JY I am talking to Kellye about that tonight. I also need to get some good seat time in the car before we go after the National Champ!

RC
BrianChevy

Post by BrianChevy »

I agree with the comments about "Worst performance of my career". Yep, that's exactly how I would sum up my weekend.

I was so angry that I could barely tow the car home.. Rear Sway Bar issues on Saturday and Rain on sunday and a terrible driving weekend made me a very angry man.

Oh well, time to spend some $$ on tires (again) and work on putting power down in all conditions...

<----- this guy is going back to the padded room with the nice white jacket for a few more days..
<>
racersd2

Post by racersd2 »

Well damn I was so looking forward to this tour, after Friday I was thinking I was going to get my first NT Trophy. SunSine was rocking, I had the course down. BUT..... $&it happens, Yes I was the lucky one, for the dry weather and all you guys hanging out helping.

Thanks again for everything.

Thinking of doing Peru.
Scott Dobler II
SEDiv S.D.C.
-Yep thats me.
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Yep, you need to do Peru.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club