Saturn at the park

Discussions related to Solo
Modding_out

Re: Saturn at the park

Post by Modding_out »

quaife makes a helical LSD for a smooth $1000 dollars.
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

Getting the power down and usable is the key imo.

What suspension work have you done? Back when I had my cobalt SS even in stock trim it was a pain without a diff and whole shocks helped, it's still a futile attempt at traction. In a prepped our mod class, you can do allot more. I'd focus more on handling than power for the car and focus on the lose nut behind the wheel.
Some decent tires, an alignment and good brakes are the best start.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

Double post
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
CobaltSSlow

Post by CobaltSSlow »

^ ha, I also have a Cobalt SS/TC with the Quaife ATB and I can't imagine the car without it!
steverife

Post by steverife »

I drove a turbo Cobalt at Blytheville a few years ago. I remember being really impressed by the stock diff.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

I hate John Wiser isn't around anymore. He had his Saturn setup really well and could probably help you quite a bit. If you can get a smaller front bar, do that. I specifically remember John having problems with his. He went so far as to make a pivoting front bar (since it's integral to the suspension).

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
-Gary Mitchell
Custom Magnet Numbers and Vinyl Graphics! | Unofficial Points Standings
01' Honda S2000 -99 BSR
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
99' F250 Super Duty
91' SVT GEO Metro (24HhoursOfLemons!)
Modding_out

Post by Modding_out »

Hmm pivoting front bar u say? I thought about that as well but for my other saturn which I'm very slowly setting up for rally cross
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

John was running some really stiff springs and custom shocks. If you want to spend more money on the car, that's probably the best route to go. I would say the slightly stiffer than stock springs just slow the transition to the bump stops a little, which could be part of your push issue. How much suspension travel do you have from rest to the bump stops?

If you want to eliminate wheelspin with the power you have, you will need the Quaife.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
TedV

Post by TedV »

GaryM wrote:I hate John Wiser isn't around anymore. He had his Saturn setup really well and could probably help you quite a bit. If you can get a smaller front bar, do that. I specifically remember John having problems with his. He went so far as to make a pivoting front bar (since it's integral to the suspension).

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
I was the guy in the white, smoke screen making Scirocco that said the same thing at the event. :lol:
I'm surprised we don't have this as a sticky http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets.html The Quaife will act like an open diff if you lift or unload the inside tire enough, but not much else that isn't a maintenance pain.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's