Driving Frustration Setting In

Discussions related to Solo
Gen52SS

Re: Driving Frustration Setting In

Post by Gen52SS »

dewittpayne wrote:Paul,

You really should get the alignment done as soon as possible. You're wearing your front tires faster than you should and it's probably costing you gas mileage too. Conceivably, it will pay for itself. Unless your wheels are bent, the alignment won't change when you change wheels and tires. If whoever does your routine service hasn't noticed the feathering on the front tires and brought it to your attention, you should think about going somewhere else.

Of course, the data system didn't record my best run.
I wanted to follow up with this topic to post my progress. I took DeWitt and others advice and got a 4 wheel alignment now ...rather then wait. I figured it will answer some questions now instead of next season. Well, it was the best thing I could have done to my car. This alone completely changed how the car drove. The Adesa event took me a few runs to figure the ass end will now come around (in a good way not snappy loose) and the front push (oversteer) has been reduced greatly. It was FUN to drive after 9 months. I went from running 2,3 or 4 seconds behind others in class to .9 (under one second) from first place car. I was skeptical so I followed up today at the Jetport. It was just Clancy Bryson and myself but I hung right with him 1 second difference in time. I felt as if now I can compete plus something to look forward to next season when I add tires...... bonus is my car is pure stock (alignment only) Clancy has done just about every mod you can do in F Street...shocks, sway bar and tires. I'll be interested to see how I do at Pellissippi. ....thanks Dewitt
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Glad to hear you feel better about things. Alignment can make a huge difference in handling.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Out of curiosity, did the alignment shop tell you what the front toe setting was initially?

Actually, I think your tires are already better than Clancy's.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

dewittpayne wrote:Out of curiosity, did the alignment shop tell you what the front toe setting was initially?

Actually, I think your tires are already better than Clancy's.
I don't remember the exact specs but toe was in on both sides...now both front and rear set to 0 degrees. This with snegativetive camber did it. DeWitt my tires right now are shot. The car is a bear to drive now in the rain. The groves in tread are just about gone. I have a possible 4 more events this year hoping they will last out the season. Then I'll put on some used tires to get through the winter. I have been talking to drivers (4 yesterday) who are running the Kook Ventus R-S3 v2 and love them. Hope to see you Sunday.
Paul Breitweiser
integra55

Post by integra55 »

with tread that low, you're possible closer to optimum for a-x than you think … most SRS BNZS a-x'ers will have new tires shaved to 3-4/32" to start with … i.e. very unsafe in the rain
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

integra55 wrote:with tread that low, you're possible closer to optimum for a-x than you think … most SRS BNZS a-x'ers will have new tires shaved to 3-4/32" to start with … i.e. very unsafe in the rain
Walter...your right they are fine on the course I guess what I wanted to say was travel to and from the events since this is my everyday driver. I had a heck of a time coming home from Cleveland jetport in the rain had to reduce my speed way down car was plaining real bad on interstate. I've been lucky so far all these last few events weather was good. If I had to compete on these on a wet track it would be like slicks on ice....not good with a 4000 lb car and 400 hp. I used these same tires at EVO school back in ...I think March ...they were new then and stuck pretty good in the rain. 240TW P-Zeros lasted for 11,000 miles.
Paul Breitweiser
integra55

Post by integra55 »

gotcha … I went through this a couple of yrs ago .. shaved RE-11's … it was a very wet yr. for a-x … driving 2 1/2 hr each way … sometimes my hands were a bit busy trying to keep the car straight on the Interstates LOL
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones

828-686-3245
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

OEM tires usually don't last. My original All-Season P-Zeros only lasted 16,000 miles and I didn't start autocrossing right away. For daily drive tires, I can personally recommend Continental ExtremeContact DWS. I've had them on my car for more than two years and there's still tread left. Of course, they haven't been on the car continuously, but still, that's a long time and a lot of miles for me. They should be good for the trip to Austin and back.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
Les

Post by Les »

Understand your car! Talk to it even though that might seem to sound weird.
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Did Bob get a new account?
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
integra55

Post by integra55 »

Les wrote:Understand your car! Talk to it even though that might seem to sound weird.

I call mine various names … is that the same thing ?

walter jones

828-686-3245