Driving Frustration Setting In

Discussions related to Solo
CobaltSSlow

Re: Driving Frustration Setting In

Post by CobaltSSlow »

I only ever looked at the tire sizes (I'm no 'Camerica expert), but in my mind that is still a 'square' setup tire-wise and would help mitigate the understeer issue
garkit

Post by garkit »

By the way I have run the last 2 Knoxville events with Traction control off and everything else on, I've only run a few events with the 1LE and am just getting used to it. I think my times speak for themselves, you can run well with even the traction control on
my youngest son at 16 was so wild I wouldn't let him turn anything off on my 01 Z28 and after the first year his times were almost equal to mine.
garkit

Post by garkit »

I'll agree square to a point but you can't swap front to back without dismounting the tires.
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

If you want just one sway bar and not the package deal from Sam, he will find you what you want, just call him and tell him what you are trying to achieve and he will probably know exactly what you need.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
CobaltSSlow

Post by CobaltSSlow »

Was this in 'competitive mode'?

My car has this complete with launch control and all that good stuff, but I find it to be very invasive and unpredictable while AX'ing. I'm sure the 1LE has revised traction control settings from the base SS since so many of the underpinnings are different?
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

Yes....DeWitt $3000 was labor included when I spoke of square setup I can get this with just changing the tires to 265 all around which will give me a bit more width in the front but a little less in the back. i will not be doing any 1LE track pack for sure just tires.
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

DeWitt...I did have a side view of 2 runs from the Jetport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Mh726S ... e=youtu.be
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

Gen52SS wrote:DeWitt...I did have a side view of 2 runs from the Jetport.
Watching the video, (most of) your steering inputs are begging for understeer. Too slow, too smooth.

I know they preach "smooth" in autocross school, but that's not going to work for your car as currently equipped / prepared.

Here is how I use driver input to correct / compensate for a natural (Detroit) push:

You need to get to a corner hot, lift (off throttle) - toss (steering wheel) - straighten wheel - jump back on throttle.

All four steps in about 4 tenths of a second (total). Probably less.

And then learn to deal with the consequences of those actions. Some (minor) variation of above will replace the understeer you're experiencing with the oversteer you're looking for (and plenty "too much" if you overcook it). If you have to countersteer, you've overcooked it - You want the front wheels straight.

The rest is a matter of practice, practice, practice.

If it was perfectly easy / natural everyone would do it well without practice.

Next question: What are you doing / what are you going to do to prevent rollover airbag deployment?

Because I would not even consider giving your car those sorts of inputs unless I had an answer to that question.
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
steverife

Post by steverife »

In that video, you were just late with your inputs. Late on turn in, late on unwinding the wheel.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

MikeKelly wrote:
Gen52SS wrote:DeWitt...I did have a side view of 2 runs from the Jetport.
Watching the video, (most of) your steering inputs are begging for understeer. Too slow, too smooth.

I know they preach "smooth" in autocross school, but that's not going to work for your car as currently equipped / prepared.

Here is how I use driver input to correct / compensate for a natural (Detroit) push:

You need to get to a corner hot, lift (off throttle) - toss (steering wheel) - straighten wheel - jump back on throttle.

All four steps in about 4 tenths of a second (total). Probably less.

And then learn to deal with the consequences of those actions. Some (minor) variation of above will replace the understeer you're experiencing with the oversteer you're looking for (and plenty "too much" if you overcook it). If you have to countersteer, you've overcooked it - You want the front wheels straight.

The rest is a matter of practice, practice, practice.

If it was perfectly easy / natural everyone would do it well without practice.

Next question: What are you doing / what are you going to do to prevent rollover airbag deployment?

Because I would not even consider giving your car those sorts of inputs unless I had an answer to that question.

who is doing this? I need their A-X card now!! Any student Iv ever had or any body that has heard me describe the sport.. Nothing is smooth about autocrossing... I preach it to Lin almost every event.. Its a flurry of hands and elbows.. Yanks at the wheel and stabs at the brake pedal..

Road Racing.... well, that's a whole nuther issue.. and you better be SMOOTH at that.

:lol:
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

John Brown wrote:who is doing this?
Ok, maybe they used to preach smooth...

lol
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

I just got back from zMax. What fun. The axle seal leak didn't get really bad until my last run, which finished in a cloud of smoke from the rear brake disk. I think it was a combination of a hot diff and high lateral loads. It doesn't seem to be a problem on the highway, at least until the fluid level gets too low.

Gary, where were you. I really needed the competition, as I was nearly three seconds faster than second place. I'll post a video soon just so you can see the course at at least some speed.

JY, you would have loved this course. Jadrice(sp?) in his yellow ESP Boss 302 was just flying. But nobody was close Wendell, if I remember correctly in his KM. Several elements of the course design were either lifted from or inspired by the courses at Lincoln. The kart times were in the 60's, everybody else was 70's and up. My three official runs were all about 86.9. I had two other runs that resulted in re-runs, one for timing and one for a worker too close to the course, which was good because I had really screwed up both of those runs.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
garkit

Post by garkit »

DeWitt, I took the weekend off, already saw video from Jake in the red Boss Mustang, he said he was 2nd to Clyde in the yellow vette they were running A street. I'll keep an eye out for your link, looked like a fun course that allowed you to get on the gas quite a bit. The ESP Boss is crazy fast.
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slFIqUCSbb4 Overlaid using Harry's Laptimer.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
garkit

Post by garkit »

Great video love all the gadgets, how do you get all that info?