Newbie with 2002 Subaru WRX

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
easynetsurf

Newbie with 2002 Subaru WRX

Post by easynetsurf »

Hello! Man I am excited about getting into real racing. No real experience, but have just purchased a 2002 Subaru WRX with a few under hood mods. I am older (late 40s) and think racing would be fun and a great way for me and my wife to make some new friends. Any advice or tips on getting started is welcome. See you at the track....
flier129

Re: Newbie with 2002 Subaru WRX

Post by flier129 »

Welcome!

What kind of racing are you wanting to get into? Road-race(track), auto-cross, rally-cross?

Late-40's isn't old, bunch of old farts running around here talking smack anyways :lol:
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
easynetsurf

Post by easynetsurf »

Wow, I don't even know the difference in the kinds of racing. Do I need any special gear? I have a 2002 Subaru WRX sedan with a few mods. All I have now for gear is a full face helmet (motorcycle helmet) and some cheap driving gloves. Do I need to join SCCA?
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

If you don't know the difference yet, look them up on scca.com

For getting started in autocross (which is why most people show up here), make some popcorn and start reading here - http://www.etrscca.org/solo/beginners-checklist/ here - http://www.etrscca.org/solo/must-read-information/ and here http://www.etrscca.org/solo/etrscca-solo-faq/
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
90civichb

Post by 90civichb »

The gear you need will depend on the racing you want to do. What you have so far would be good for most local club stuff (autocross, rallycross). You just need to be sure your helmet is approved, which depends on year of manufacture, I believe, and testing organization (Snell). Your mods will also put you into varying classes which is all in the literature Thrdeye gave you, but if you have questions, just ask. There is a lot of knowledge on this forum, a few kinds :) .
Check out some of the build.
https://www.youtube.com/user/90civichb
Cody Yankey
integra55

Post by integra55 »

depending on whether or not that helmet is SA rated (M is ok also) dig under the lining, and see if you can find an orange SA/M label … with a date … 2000, 2005, or 2010

for some reason I can't figure out how to show an image on here (my ludditeness is kicking in LOL)

but to see the type of label you're looking for … google "SA label inside helmets" and click on images
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
EliseAutoXr

Post by EliseAutoXr »

Welcome!
Bradley Allen
STM 7
06 Lotus Elise (some stock)
Les

Post by Les »

Hello I owned a precursor to the WXR. It was black, two doors, sunroof, and manual five speed. I bought it from Harpers here in Knoxville in Feb of 1999. Harpers chucked in the gold wheels which were still in cardboard boxes. Subaru sent about 700 and mostly in blue but they sent some in black. The car had no emblem on the front to say what it was. It was a blank. The trunk which should had said something was also blank.
Les

Post by Les »

Second message to easynetsurf.
'The car sold by Harpers was a 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS.
90civichb

Post by 90civichb »

What are you talking about, Les?
Check out some of the build.
https://www.youtube.com/user/90civichb
Cody Yankey
TedV

Post by TedV »

90civichb wrote:What are you talking about, Les?
The cliff notes of Les's post " hello and welcome. I had a 2.5rs that I enjoyed too. It didn't have the badges and turbo but still looked good and was fun"

:wink: :rockon:
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
Les

Post by Les »

Look at TedV's reply. From what I can gather ....his RS did not have badges on it either.
Apexemall

Post by Apexemall »

I started with a 2002 WRX. It was plenty of fun to AX with few mods. I have a 2004 now.

Suggest you start in the appropriate street tire class with a set of Dunlop Diarezza star spec tires and come out and have fun at the autocrosses for a year. You'll have learned enough at that point to decide what to do next. I've done just about everything legal in Street Touring to mine.

Clyde Stahl