Scooters Used for Course Walk?

Discussions related to Solo
Gen52SS

Scooters Used for Course Walk?

Post by Gen52SS »

I don't know if this has been asked before. Can some of you answer this question. ...l had trouble at times last season walking the courses do to a disability. I have read some conflicting information on this subject. I did see them being used at events this season not at ours but we're used when I went to NCM in Bowling Green. Some say its against all the SCCA rules. ...some say it's up to your local club rules and others say if you have a disability and can show documentation before the season or event you can use the scooters during the course walk, bathrooms and paddock areas? What are our rules on this?
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
01badz28

Re: Scooters Used for Course Walk?

Post by 01badz28 »

This is what the 2014 Solo Rules say about it:

4.9 CONFLICT OF INTEREST
No person may compete who has pre-run through all or any part of the
course, in or on any wheeled vehicle, except a competitor with a physi-
cal disability that impairs his/her ability to walk may, with the approval
of the Chief Steward, use a wheelchair or similar aid (which does not
include a bicycle) traveling at normal walking speed to accomplish the
requirements of section 6.3. All event officials, whether competing in
the event or not, must use caution to avoid individual conflict of interest
situations during the event.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

Thanks. ..read 4.9 and think I'll just do my best to walk again this year.
Paul Breitweiser
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

Sounds like you could with the permission of the event chair as long as you kept it at walking speed. I'll probably use my Segway next season if I can get it fixed.
Brian Robbins
XP 45
TedV

Post by TedV »

Per the rules, if you have a legitimate reason why you can not walk the course, there isn't an issue as long as at a walking pace and you clear it with the steward. I know of at least one competitor who quit coming to events in part to the knee pain from walking and the drama from others. Knee has now been replaced but he has moved on to other hobbies. I can see how a bike could be a danger more so than a scooter at walking speed.

What needs repaired on the Segway?
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

Brian that's the way I read it. I was thinking about a Razor 300s with seat. I would of course only proceed at walking pace. I don't want to buy one if I'm not allowed to use it. I certainly don't want to cause any problems with the rules. I guess something like this could be voted on at the monthly meeting for those with a disability to be able to use (other than a bike ) a segway or small electric scooters. ...I have a real hard time up the inclined sections of the course. I'll see what some others post on this.
Paul Breitweiser
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

Gen52SS wrote:Brian that's the way I read it. I was thinking about a Razor 300s with seat. I would of course only proceed at walking pace. I don't want to buy one if I'm not allowed to use it. I certainly don't want to cause any problems with the rules. I guess something like this could be voted on at the monthly meeting for those with a disability to be able to use (other than a bike ) a segway or small electric scooters. ...I have a real hard time up the inclined sections of the course. I'll see what some others post on this.
Based on the rule, its more a safety issue than a Board or Solo Board matter. Reading the rule and being familiar with the 300, I wouldn't have an issue with it (or a Segway) from a safety standpoint (speaking for myself as a SS).
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
TedV

Post by TedV »

If anyone has an issue with someone with a disability riding a scooter at a walking pace to see the course, I vote we take a baseball bat or hammer to their knees and let the "no" voters then try to walk. :fight:
Ted V.
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

We have discussed this in the past and as long as it is a documented issue and it has been discussed with the solo group, it shouldn't be a problem.

Sent from the Galaxy.
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

TedV wrote:If anyone has an issue with someone with a disability riding a scooter at a walking pace to see the course, I vote we take a baseball bat or hammer to their knees and let the "no" voters then try to walk. :fight:
Agreed.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
integra55

Post by integra55 »

01badz28 wrote:This is what the 2014 Solo Rules say about it:

4.9 CONFLICT OF INTEREST
No person may compete who has pre-run through all or any part of the
course, in or on any wheeled vehicle
, except a competitor with a physi-
cal disability that impairs his/her ability to walk may, with the approval
of the Chief Steward, use a wheelchair or similar aid (which does not
include a bicycle) traveling at normal walking speed to accomplish the
requirements of section 6.3. All event officials, whether competing in
the event or not, must use caution to avoid individual conflict of interest
situations during the event.
any yet there are SS and course designers (not pointing a finger at any of our folk … JB knows who I'm talking about ...LOL ) that violate this portion of the rule on a regular basis :evil:
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

TedV wrote:What needs repaired on the Segway?
I'm not exactly sure. It just won't start up.
Brian Robbins
XP 45
TedV

Post by TedV »

Teufelshund wrote:
TedV wrote:What needs repaired on the Segway?
I'm not exactly sure. It just won't start up.
As I find my way to forums.segwaychat.org.. Looks like it could be several things from contacts at connectors needing cleaned, disconect things and reconnect to reset, battery's going had, finicky key contacts, electronic boards too cold, controls not centered, error codes?? Lots of reading to be found there. Might be something simple. I would offer to help but not sure how much I could help beyond I know a little more about electronics than the average car guy. How close is a service center? I'm guessing Atlanta?
Ted V.
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

Currently working on Radio Flyer LI ON powered RWD with the handle steer. Been having an issue with the center of gravity. Might have to notch out the front wall to better clear the handle and make the wheel trac a bit wider so the center mass is a bit lower.
Bob Colbert
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

I am obviously one that goes over the line on this rule as a SS, as occasionally course designers also do. I do it for a couple of reasons 1. To see the course from a SS perspective - Generally I go very slow and really pay no attention to a good line. The only places I will go faster is where there is a safety question. Also, the course designer is usually with me. Seeing the course from a car is more important at PSCC than most sites. 2. I have a metal & plastic knee that has a couple of problems and I usually only walk the course once and then run it mentally while standing where that I can see the course.

Should anyone think they may beat me in my class when they wouldn't if I didn't perform a course inspection (and test problem areas) I will not do it. I think someone should look at the course however, especially at sites where there are potential problems.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson