nc miata advice

Discussions related to Solo
jpvette

nc miata advice

Post by jpvette »

Pro or con: 5 speed and install a LSD or 6 speed with factory LSD. Which is better geared, sport is a little lighter but not much.
Jim Lindsey
'02 Z06
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

I think you want the 5. Bogie will know
steverife

Re: nc miata advice

Post by steverife »

I think most people say the 6 speed now. I think it also depends on the year.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Mike Burke

Post by Mike Burke »

Hello Jim,

You might consider consulting the transmission/rear axle chart available on Google at Miata Transmission Gear Ratios.

Our opinion based on advice from Miata performance shops and personal experience is that the 5 speed's "longer" 2nd and gear ratio is better (decreased need for up and down shifts to 3rd) in auto-x applications. The 6 speed does offer improved fuel economy for top gear cruising applications. Sure, possible tire and wheel size changes as well as your driving pattern will impact the decision.

Mike Burke
Asheville
828 258-2442
jpvette

Post by jpvette »

Found a gear calculator on flying miata, looks like a 10 mph difference for 2nd with the 5 speed. But the 6 speed should have more grunt.
Jim Lindsey
'02 Z06
CABoegemann

Post by CABoegemann »

My opinion is that the 5spd with an OS Giken would be much better than the 6spd with the OE LSD. It's also nearly 30 pounds lighter.

If you install your own LSD, don't put the diff back in until you change the carrier bushings. The stock bushings are way too soft and I dread taking the rear end out again...
Last edited by CABoegemann on Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
........ _____
........./____,\__
........(o)_l___(o)

'05 MINI Cooper S
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

I dread taking the rear end out again...
I paid someone to install the Torsen in my Mustang. Money well spent, especially considering the other problems he found and fixed.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
CABoegemann

Post by CABoegemann »

The only real problem I had was getting the axle to seat correctly into the diff on the passenger side. I had to get some help on that from Mazda... Although, I later discovered that they used a different c-clip than they sold me originally. That may have been why...
........ _____
........./____,\__
........(o)_l___(o)

'05 MINI Cooper S
SeanDrives4Fun

Post by SeanDrives4Fun »

my experience is based on NB Miata, but a 6 speed with a taller gear rear end is my preference. I give up 2 mph ish over the many 5 speeds 4.1 I usually drive, but only one event this year did I bounce off the rev limiter more than a second. In the five speeds I rarely get to the rev limiter so I think that tad of torque and slightly lower top 2nd gear speed make this more common. I'm not sure how my experience transcends to the NC, but your welcome to ride/ burn a lap in my NB to see for yourself. -sean
Rally Boss
TedV

Post by TedV »

Is the trans for better street use or better at autocross? Gearing is a huge thing for autocross. Less shifting usually means better times and max speed in 2nd around 63-65 mph = best so, sounds like 5speed??

I don't know nothin bout no me-otters, but I have run a too short 2nd, or rowboat between 2nd and 3rd once or 1000 times. It sucks.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
flier129

Post by flier129 »

Top finishing NC STR cars are 5-speeds. /thread
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
steverife

Post by steverife »

flier129 wrote:Top finishing NC STR cars are 5-speeds. /thread
You sure about that?
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
flier129

Post by flier129 »

steverife wrote:
You sure about that?
Are you!?

Man, last year's results were disappointing for miatas. I know Shane's is a 5spd.

I remember a 20 page thread on m.net where guys argued over this. Most said it was course dependent, I think in the end it's up to the driver.
steverife

Post by steverife »

flier129 wrote:
steverife wrote:
You sure about that?
Are you!?

Man, last year's results were disappointing for miatas. I know Shane's is a 5spd.

I remember a 20 page thread on m.net where guys argued over this. Most said it was course dependent, I think in the end it's up to the driver.
It is a 6 speed car. I looked at buying it. The car from Oregon or wherever is a 6 speed car, too.

One of the STR guys sent me thrust charts and dynos. The 5 speed is good for super fast momentum courses, or a good choice on the old 235/40/17 single compound Toyo, but most are saying that the 6 speed is generally the better car (and the torque curve is flat enough that you aren't missing out on much by leaving it in 3rd for a bit if you are about 35 or 38 mph or something like that.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
flier129

Post by flier129 »

It must of been someone else's silver NC, 5-spd, with a bunch of stickers that he was leaning against at Dixie. Whatevs!

I'd definitely buy a S2K over an NC, even though some of the NC1s are getting pretty inexpensive, the s2k has proven to be the car to have more times than not. That's assuming one would care about placing well at nationals, but really locally and regional tours the NC could absolutely finish really well, shit a NB can finish well :-D