Questions for people with Harry's laptimer

Discussions related to Solo
thewelder

Questions for people with Harry's laptimer

Post by thewelder »

My car is getting close to running again. Should be late spring. I was thinks about getting that app to help me get better. Is it worth getting. And if so which version should I get. They have three different priced ones. I don't know the features or limitations of the different ones. Thanks. Chad
*Chad Summey*

E mod 78 lotus seven clone.
Gen52SS

Re: Questions for people with Harry's laptimer

Post by Gen52SS »

I had mine (pro) since last season. I could never get it to work right. ...I think DeWitt used it but he's using an external GPS not the one on your phone. He gets all kinds of data off it. He would be the one to ask about Harry's.
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Chad,

First question, iOS or Android. I'm unfamiliar with the Android version. That being said, if you want to record video on the phone, the Android version suffers compared to iOS if you want to create videos with data overlay. Android does not have hardware assisted video decoding and encoding so it's slow and low quality.

Second, for autocross, an external GPS is required. The internal GPS is simply not up to the task. A 5 Hz update is the minimum. More is better, but more will cost more. For simple data logging, the Rookie edition will suffice. The higher editions mainly add video features. OTOH, if you're going to spend $94 on a Dual XGPS150 at 5Hz or $150 for the XGPS160 at 10Hz and another $100 or so for the phone mount (RAM products recommended), the less than $20 difference between the Rookie and Grand Prix (only available on iOS at the moment) isn't large.

There's a Laptimer forum with a lot of information.

The downside is that making sure all the electronics are working before a run can be distracting and you don't really have much time to review data between runs. If you don't already have a video camera, I'd get that and some sort of relatively large format viewing device first.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
90civichb

Post by 90civichb »

I used it a bit last season with my Samsung S3, another thing to worry about it battery life. I didn't have a plug in my Miata where I could just hook the phone up, it lasted the autocross with video, but died shortly after. Cool part about Android is that you can put in another battery.

It has a bit of a learning curve, I couldn't get it to auto-record for me at the start line. I had to manually press the race tab to start it recording. I enjoyed the data, but it is kind of a bitch to get off the phone, onto your computer, and then overlay the stuff. I will continue to try it this season with my Samsung Note 4 and see if things change. If not, then I will just record the runs with the phone in HD.

Also, you will need to mount it. I use the cross grip and I love it. It is great for my daily driver and fits my Note 4 well, and keeps it very stable.
Check out some of the build.
https://www.youtube.com/user/90civichb
Cody Yankey
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

I use it with Samsung S5 ..I also have tried Track Attack and Track Master
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Cody,

Video is a real energy hog, as is Wi-Fi. Why not get a 12V socket from Radio Shack or somebody and wire it to your battery?

Another thing to watch out for is overheating the phone if it gets in the sun.

I'm not fond of x-grip because it's too easy to rotate the phone.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner