STI Alignment

Discussions related to Solo
72RatCamaro

STI Alignment

Post by 72RatCamaro »

I am getting the Forester setup for the season and I am trying to figure out what the best bet for an alignment would be. My options are ~1.5-1.8 negative camber and ~7degrees of caster or 3deg of camber and about 5.5 caster. Which would be my best bet for the front of the car? I can't add more camber without sacrificing caster.
Andrew Hodge
Buck05Sti

Re: STI Alignment

Post by Buck05Sti »

Get in touch with Chris Harp, he'd be your best bet on this. But dont forget about the back of the car. if youre stock back there be sure to add some toe out to help turn-in.
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20

2004 Z06 Commemorative Edition (gold chain not included)
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

72RatCamaro wrote:I am getting the Forester setup for the season and I am trying to figure out what the best bet for an alignment would be. My options are ~1.5-1.8 negative camber and ~7degrees of caster or 3deg of camber and about 5.5 caster. Which would be my best bet for the front of the car? I can't add more camber without sacrificing caster.
Andrew. ...you have any connections at Walker Automotive? :lol: ....they did my alignment by my specs which I got from other camaro solo drivers. I have set front to 1.8 negative camber 0 degree toe caster no change. The rear is half degree negative camber 0 toe. Any more than 2 degrees negative camber on the front and using it for daily driver is pushing it on my car your Forester may be different.

.. I would think 3 degrees camber is a bit much
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

I'm running 3.6 degree of negative camber on the front of the GT500.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

Jeff ...I didn't know you used it every day as your daily ride I thought you were trailering most of the time. I would need to change suspension parts to dial in that much camber then couldn't run Street. I forgot Andrew has 2 Foresters older and new?
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

No its a garage queen and not a DD and it does get trailered almost to all the events we go to.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Andrew,

What is the suspension design? If it's strut and you've lowered it to the point where the lower control arm is parallel to the ground, you probably need as much static camber as you can get because the camber is going positive on the outside wheel under roll. Decreasing caster decreases the negative camber gain when the wheel is turned, but it's probably a wash if the static negative camber has already been increased. What you really need is a figure 8 course and a tire pyrometer. I'm not convinced a circular skid pad is all that relevant to autocross.

I drove my car on the street with -1.8 degrees camber on the front. After 30,000 miles on the tires, you could see the inner edge was wearing faster, but not by all that much.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

As much negative camber as you can get in the front... -3 is fine. Don't worry about caster really. If you have camber plates you can set a street alignment, jack up the car and max them out before the event. This should add toe out in the front when you push the plates in.

Maybe around -1.2 to -1.5 in the rear since you have the STi diffs. (Right?). If no fancy diffs, the more like -0.8

And yes some toe out in the rear will help rotation...but change it up before events and back to zero for street driving. I ran 1/2 in toe out in my white car and it rocked.
72RatCamaro

Post by 72RatCamaro »

Gen52SS wrote: Andrew. ...you have any connections at Walker Automotive? :lol: ....they did my alignment by my specs which I got from other camaro solo drivers. I have set front to 1.8 negative camber 0 degree toe caster no change. The rear is half degree negative camber 0 toe. Any more than 2 degrees negative camber on the front and using it for daily driver is pushing it on my car your Forester may be different.

.. I would think 3 degrees camber is a bit much

Yeah, like I have said in the past, I have access to an alignment machine that I can use everyday if wanted. I am running coilovers with camber plates front and rear so its super simple for me to lay the front in for the weekend and bring it back up Monday.

Also glad we were able to get you all lined up.

The car is MY only car but my wife and I carpool if needed, plus the shop is only 10 miles from my house so to say I don't drive a lot of boring miles is accurate.

thrdeye wrote:As much negative camber as you can get in the front... -3 is fine. Don't worry about caster really. If you have camber plates you can set a street alignment, jack up the car and max them out before the event. This should add toe out in the front when you push the plates in.

Maybe around -1.2 to -1.5 in the rear since you have the STi diffs. (Right?). If no fancy diffs, the more like -0.8

And yes some toe out in the rear will help rotation...but change it up before events and back to zero for street driving. I ran 1/2 in toe out in my white car and it rocked.

Ok that's what I will do then. -3 front -1.5 rear (running R180 STI rear diff with STI Lateral links). I have rear camber plates as well so super easy to get that camber. The toe is a different story. Currently the car oversteers. ALOT. Both exiting turns and under hard braking, to the point it is hard to drive. The fact that I am about to add even more power will make it power oversteer even worse. So I am trying to do all I can to reign that in.
Andrew Hodge
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Then maybe don't worry about toe out. Sounds like I need to give that thing a try sometime.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Andrew,

You might want to run some static toe in on the rear if it's oversteering. Your suspension bushings may have enough flex that you get toe out under braking from a static rear toe of zero.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Well, loose it relative. And with that driveline, I'm tempted to bet that it's not as loose as he thinks it is.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
72RatCamaro

Post by 72RatCamaro »

Yeah, it's not oversteering to the point I think it will spin. But for a Subaru it oversteers more than I have felt any other Subaru do. Hopefully the good alignment, new tires, a little more low, and seat time will help me reign it in. The two events I did in the car last year as well as dragon runs are really hard to gauge performance but compared to the silver car it is completely different. Even though they are both "similar" setups (coilover, big sway bars, similar alignment) the silver car had a ton of understeer still whereas this one just doesn't. Instead of pushing it turns in and back rotates.

Chris I will let you give it a whirl one day for sure. Its a blast.
Andrew Hodge
Buck05Sti

Post by Buck05Sti »

72RatCamaro wrote:Yeah, it's not oversteering to the point I think it will spin. But for a Subaru it oversteers more than I have felt any other Subaru do. Hopefully the good alignment, new tires, a little more low, and seat time will help me reign it in. The two events I did in the car last year as well as dragon runs are really hard to gauge performance but compared to the silver car it is completely different. Even though they are both "similar" setups (coilover, big sway bars, similar alignment) the silver car had a ton of understeer still whereas this one just doesn't. Instead of pushing it turns in and back rotates.

Chris I will let you give it a whirl one day for sure. Its a blast.
Gota spin it to win it! :lol:
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20

2004 Z06 Commemorative Edition (gold chain not included)
72RatCamaro

Post by 72RatCamaro »

It almost spun at Chilhowee, but instead it just wiped out all the cones in the bottom.
Andrew Hodge