new to all this stuff.

Discussions related to Solo
griffjm9125

new to all this stuff.

Post by griffjm9125 »

I have a 95 civic and I noticed there will be a day coming up in Bristol that I would like to do but I dont really know much about all this. Ive read all the must read info and just wanted to hear from someone what I should do. like what class my car should be in and stuff like that. Any info or links to info would be awesome thanks.
Joshua Griffin
thrdeye

Re: new to all this stuff.

Post by thrdeye »

Welcome. Make sure you have read the FAQ as well as the beginner's checklist.

http://www.etrscca.org/solo/etrscca-solo-faq/
http://www.etrscca.org/solo/beginners-checklist/

That should give you some info on classing, but we can help if you tell us more about the car.

Did you have any other specific questions?
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

An unmodified Honda Civic running on tires with a tread wear rating of 200 or greater runs in H Street class. Some modifications are allowed for Street class. You can replace one sway bar, either front or rear, but not both, for example. The rule book can be found here:http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/ass ... nline1.pdf. The Street category rules start on page 73. The principle of the rules is that anything that isn't specifically allowed is forbidden.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Welcome! If you have an opportunity to come to an event in Knoxville, in addition to Bristol, you should. Bristol tends to have a lot of participation and you may get more runs at a Knoxville event.

Sent from the Galaxy.
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

Welcome to the sport! If you don't have time to read through the rules, you can run in our local STM class (street tire modified) as long as you are running tires with a treadwear rating of 140 or above. Whatever mods you have will be welcome in that class. If you don't have many mods, you would probably be more competitive in a street or street touring class.
Brian Robbins
XP 45
griffjm9125

Post by griffjm9125 »

I read a lot of it but I get confused by it. Im more of a hands on person. I figured after I said I have a civic no one would respond lol.I have a 95 civic. Turbo, fuel system, and other turbo related mods is all I have. It has full integra suspension on regular integra rims and street tires. No cage or anything. Im just trying to have fun not really be the best. What other kind of cars would I be in the same class with. I fear being ridiculed for having a honda where real cars belong haha.
Joshua Griffin
90civichb

Post by 90civichb »

You need to be in STM then. As long as you are on a 140TW tire or higher then you can run in STM. Don't worry about what kind of car you have, you won't really see judgment passed here. You will be in a sea of Miatas, other civics/crx's, and Subaru's.
Check out some of the build.
https://www.youtube.com/user/90civichb
Cody Yankey
integra55

Post by integra55 »

griffjm9125 wrote:I read a lot of it but I get confused by it. Im more of a hands on person. I figured after I said I have a civic no one would respond lol.I have a 95 civic. Turbo, fuel system, and other turbo related mods is all I have. It has full integra suspension on regular integra rims and street tires. No cage or anything. Im just trying to have fun not really be the best. What other kind of cars would I be in the same class with. I fear being ridiculed for having a honda where real cars belong haha.

welcome to the SCCA :lol2:
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
griffjm9125

Post by griffjm9125 »

Ok cool im not the only one confused by it. What I get out of all that is just have a pretty decent car that wont fall apart, or put me or anyone else in danger. Id like to hear from other honda owners on what there set up is and a few of the must have mods like rear sway bar or things like that.
Joshua Griffin
joker717

Post by joker717 »

You really need to try to make the event this weekend and talk to Bob or Chris Ross they have a 93 civic turbo that's pretty well set up for STM
J.R. Newman
2007 Maximus Prime
1989 Civic SI hatch #98
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

griffjm9125 wrote:Ok cool I'm not the only one confused by it. What I get out of all that is just have a pretty decent car that wont fall apart, or put me or anyone else in danger. Id like to hear from other Honda owners on what there set up is and a few of the must have mods like rear sway bar or things like that.
Your car will get into the correct class for sure. There will be plenty of time to get the car dialed in. The biggest part of all this is DRIVING SKILLS. Your biggest challenge will be learning the course and how to better drive it...to lower your time. This is something for most that doesn't come by just having a good setup in your car....SEAT TIME....SEAT TIME and more SEAT TIME. It will all seem strange at first but we have some good people who will help you with any questions. Our Novice Chief Jim Simmons will show and guide you through the day. Like you said in a previous post your "More of a hands on person" You can read all the books and material you want ....which is fine but get out there and do it ..is the best for honing your skills. Hope you see you there..... Jim has the silver gray #6 Cobra he will get all the novice people together before the event usually at the starting line walk the course and answer all your questions.
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
CobraJim

Post by CobraJim »

Gen52SS wrote: Our Novice Chief Jim Simmons will show and guide you through the day. Like you said in a previous post your "More of a hands on person" You can read all the books and material you want ....which is fine but get out there and do it ..is the best for honing your skills. Hope you see you there..... Jim has the silver gray #6 Cobra he will get all the novice people together before the event usually at the starting line walk the course and answer all your questions.
welcome Joshua; come on out to some of the local events. We'll walk you through the whole process from registration to tech inspection. I'll walk the course with you and explain all the elements and try to answer your questions. After that your welcome to ride with me in the cobra or I'll ride along with you in your turbo civic. Our main concern is that everyone is safe and has some fun. See ya at the races..
Jim Simmons
6 xp, em, stm
Novice Chair
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

griffjm9125 wrote:I fear being ridiculed for having a honda where real cars belong haha.
You really don't have to worry about that around here. Everyone is super cool and eager to help.
Brian Robbins
XP 45
flier129

Post by flier129 »

Welcome!
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
EliseAutoXr

Post by EliseAutoXr »

Welcome!