what do i need to do for a jr kart

Discussions related to Solo
SeanDrives4Fun

what do i need to do for a jr kart

Post by SeanDrives4Fun »

I have a 12 year old Nephew wanting to join me on the clone kart. Can someone give me a breakdown for us locally what differences I need to do for him? I know up grade to full face helmet, is there anything beyond that?
Rally Boss
thrdeye

Re: what do i need to do for a jr kart

Post by thrdeye »

Minor Wavier. Both parents must sign. They must do so at the event in the presence of an event official, OR they must have the minor wavier notarized.

What is the kill switch like on the kart?

How much experience does he have in the kart?

Pilson will probably be the guy to give you a go/no-go.

This is mandartory:

19.1.G

G. Driver Safety Equipment
1. Neck Braces: An unaltered, collar type neck brace designed for motor
sports use, is mandatory. Kart-specific neck braces are recommended.
2. Driver Apparel: Drivers are minimally required to wear jackets
of leather, vinyl, or abrasion resistant nylon or equivalent, and full
length pants to prevent or minimize abrasions. Full abrasion kart
suits are recommended. Shoes, socks, and abrasion resistant gloves
are mandatory.
3. Seat Positioning: When normally positioned in the kart for competition,
the entirety of the driver shall be within the perimeter of the
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

I was writing this when Chris posted his:

You need to start here and be sure your kart complies with all the safety requirements, at a minimum. http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/ass ... 202012.pdf

There are several things that your kart does not meet. I will defer to Scott Boito and Scott Gibson on if they feel the kart is ok to run. These are the potential sticking points that I am aware of. The clone engine on your kart isn't on the approved engine list. I have seen it run and I doubt it is any faster than the Briggs World Formula that is approved. Your tires aren't the correct size and probably not the correct make/compound.

Both parents will have to sign the minor waiver form. If both parents are not on site and signing the form there, it will have to be notarized.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Minor wavier also has to be in color I think. Unless that changed.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
SeanDrives4Fun

Post by SeanDrives4Fun »

Thanks Chris & Mark,
we have a kill switch right beside the steering wheel on the edge of the driver body work, and it looks like the safety is the same as for me. Not sure I wanna change engine/wheels, I'm already set for the season, so I'll ask for a go ahead, I can use the throttle stop to slow it down if Scott ('s) want it slower. Running 44 eventually as is.
he has no exsperiance and would probably only run events falling on Saturday. Mainly Adesa.
Rally Boss
Scoob

Post by Scoob »

Get him to a track for some seat time! He won't learn a lot at an autox with only a few runs.

The clone motor isn't a problem for the kids - stock clones are approved. Modified clones are not very welcome (for kids) because it's hard to police the innards. And they fail and cost more money to fix than a good LO206 or WF. Addition of a throttle stop should satisfy incredi-power concerns.

Tires are a concern for me - we specify a hard compound tire for kids because we want them to slide instead of stick under hard inputs. Flipping karts is no fun. I have seen experienced kids run stickier tires but for a complete novice I think hard tires are necessary. Not concerned much by tire size unless you're running 9" rears.

So to recap, unmodified clone motor with spec tires and size = OK. Modified clone with throttle stop running hard tires and rain-width rear = OK (for me). Modified clone with throttle stop and soft, grippy, wide tires = not OK for me.
Scott Boito
#68 CAM-S C5 Z06
SEDIV SSS

BetterOffRacing
BrianChevy

Post by BrianChevy »

Before you buy any safety gear, let me know your size that you need. All 3 of my kids used to be Karters and we have lots of suits, gloves, neck braces, chest protectors, etc that I could let go cheap-ishly.

Brian
<>
SeanDrives4Fun

Post by SeanDrives4Fun »

Thanks Brian and Scott!
Rally Boss