FastTrack.. and tires. LOL!

Discussions related to Solo
John Brown

FastTrack.. and tires. LOL!

Post by John Brown »

I cant believe there are idiots still out there trying to get Toyo Excluded...

News Flash! those folks suddenly have more than that to blame for "Talent Limitations" :-) LOL!

Ill try the BFG (again) and the Toyo.... but seriously, if they are better than the Bridgestones..... Street Tarrz is gonna be paxing pretty high this year. :)
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
integra55

Re: FastTrack.. and tires. LOL!

Post by integra55 »

John, for whatever reason there are folk out that that just "hate" the Toyo (the 195 to be precise) … mainly because they couldn't use them and were getting beaten by them (the tires … not the drivers … yeah … the tires to all the work .. *shrug*)
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
TedV

Post by TedV »

integra55 wrote:John, for whatever reason there are folk out that that just "hate" Hoosier … mainly because they couldn't use them and were getting beaten by them (the tires … not the drivers … yeah … the tires to all the work .. *shrug*)
Fixed it for stock. Eerr Street. :wink:

When all else fails, blame the tires.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Ted, we're friends, lemmie say that first and foremost.

But it amazes me that with all of the data and information out there on the subject that you think competitiveness/wanting to trophy is the end all be all of why so many were proponents of that change.

Ryan and I have done three autox events on current tires and are at about 50 runs. Were we on Hoosiers, we'd already be looking at buying another set before Bowling Green on May 1-2. As it is, we are probably good until mid summer at least. Perhaps a little sooner if we want to switch to Bridgestones.

Additionally, you should look at STX times from Dixie and compare those to some of the R classes.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
steverife

Post by steverife »

I love Hoosiers and didn't want stock to change. I loved my days in stock. I didn't mind managing tires and had a pretty good system in place.

That ship has sailed. There are obvious benefits to Street and Street Touring.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

I get about 100-120 runs out of my hohos and if you look at the money JB has spent on trying to find the right tire in sts to be able to compete for the win, you could buy almost 3 sets of hoosiers, which you don't have to test to see which one is better because a hoosier is a hoosier. I have been to many tour events and have seen many classes to include sts and stx and str coming to tours last year with 3-4 sets of wheels/tires. So thinking that street tired classes are going to be cheaper than hoosiers just doesn't always come true. If you want to win in racing, no matter what level of racing it is, you have to spend money. I am not saying that there is no place for street tires, but when it takes a good foothold and if it does the price of street tires will almost double, because when the tire companies feel like they have the upper hand that is when the prices will go up cause they know that the drivers will have to have said tire just like hoosier is said tire in r-comps.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Testing 3 or 4 different tire brands would not have closed the 1.4 second gap to first for me.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
steverife

Post by steverife »

I have a lot of comments, but it has all be hashed out many times before. I'll run where I can find good competition and the cars meet my budget/needs.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
TedV

Post by TedV »

My post was a dig at the SS cars that are more fun to drive and can be set up to work on the Ho-Hos. They got kicked in the nads when all stock are now street. I admit not all stock cars can get the setup to work on Hoosier. So yes, for the camber challenged cars street tires may withstand the abuse a little more.

The only thing street tire stock does is sell the perception of cost effective. The results will be the same. The people who previously did their homework to pick a car and set it up will still be beating others who can't spend the cash or time to test. You have been had by the perception of hope and change.

The "ban toyo!" And the resulting 200 tread wear is a farce. BFG has the rival and its preached as the tire.. See it works. (Except not on all cars.) Toyo changes to a 200 TW. "Ban Toyo!!". Now BFG releases an S compound. Which I bet they had last year and I bet select people had them to test with, you don't just squirt out a compound overnight. So again " Ban Toyo!!!". Wait.. What about these new compounds from BFG and Bridgestone that haven't even really hit the market and it is still "Ban Toyo!!!!". Y'all can't see this all is kind of rediculous?
Ted V.
TedV

Post by TedV »

steverife wrote:I have a lot of comments, but it has all be hashed out many times before. I'll run where I can find good competition and the cars meet my budget/needs.
Exactly. I never had fun driving a stock car except for a Lotus or Vette, so I say let the people who run that class select the rules. I find the tire war now going on kinda humorous.
Ted V.
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

All I know is this. I really like STS .. my car is easy on tires, and capable of winning on any given day. I don't think too much about the fact that Im on street tires.. (when Im on my game and the surface is good..its hard to tell)
But I hate the testing cost associated with it. It will be interesting to see which tire ends up KING... I cant see my cars attitude from the outside..but inside.. at Dixie.. it was hard to do any wrong. :)
flier129

Post by flier129 »

Really, the only downside to R1Rs is having to shave them. I'm sure there's a dozen people that send letters to the SEB every month..... "BAN DEM YOYO TARS, I DONT WANNA HAVE TO CUT OFF HALF THE TARS I JUST BOUGHT. PLEASE GIVE ME AND MINE AND EVERYONE ELSE A TROPHY, I PAY MY DUES FOR UPWARD RACIN'!" or something to that effect.

My prediction, R1Rs will be faster than the Bridgestones on concrete, especially Lincoln. However, I think it will be a wash on typical asphalt. I don't think the Z2 Star-Specs will be as fast as either. Please keep in mind, this is strictly for STS, the sizes they can run, and the cars in it. STX/STR/STU/STF will be completely different....... RS3 is king!

OH! almost forgot...... BFGs will shit a brick like last time.
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

I hope they all 3 or 4 end up being really close.. cause then, it may come down to higher payouts to get their tire in the winners circle.

I mean.. after all,its all about the $MONEY$ ..right? LOL!
TedV

Post by TedV »

Its like 20-25 years ago. Yokohama 008 vs BFG vs Re71.
Ted V.
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

TedV wrote:My post was a dig at the SS cars that are more fun to drive and can be set up to work on the Ho-Hos. They got kicked in the nads when all stock are now street. I admit not all stock cars can get the setup to work on Hoosier. So yes, for the camber challenged cars street tires may withstand the abuse a little more.
So you know that SS as it existed in years past is still around, right? They still get the crack....and it's called SSR. I hope SSR continues over the next several years.