Event #2 in the Books

Discussions related to Solo
Gen52SS

Re: Event #2 in the Books

Post by Gen52SS »

dewittpayne wrote:Paul,

Congratulations on finally beating Clancy.
I appreciate that DeWitt it was good feeling to finally get the monkey off my back. My PAX was good and I really felt I had at least a few tenths more to gain should have been 52+ range...very happy. ...thanks

One more addition he registers his Mustang as 2011 (dealer warranty issues) but he now runs a 2015 with the BIG brembo brake package over sized rotors, anti roll bar and adjustable shocks. He totaled his 2011 Mustang down a cliff.
Last edited by Gen52SS on Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
joker717

Post by joker717 »

Thanks everyone that helped with this event. Special thanks to course design, Ive been to around 15 events (3rd with current car) and I have to say that I enjoyed that course better than any other that I have been on so far. Yesterday just made it that much harder to wait for the next event.
J.R. Newman
2007 Maximus Prime
1989 Civic SI hatch #98
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Great job on the first event as chair, Jim. Thanks again to Jeff for letting me drive the Mustang. As James mentioned, I thought the car handled great.

I didn't see the top section of the course until it was ready for walking. I will say that it was not as described to me in a conversation at the bottom of the hill when I was helping with setup. I had no issue with the bottom section of the course.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

MARKP wrote:Great job on the first event as chair, Jim. Thanks again to Jeff for letting me drive the Mustang. As James mentioned, I thought the car handled great.

I didn't see the top section of the course until it was ready for walking. I will say that it was not as described
to me in a conversation at the bottom of the hill when I was helping with setup. I had no issue with the bottom section of the course.
This is true.. I actually said it's the same corner to corner drag strips we have every time here...

...then, I changed it.
I guess the corner to corner drag races are OK?
Lol
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
CobraJim

Post by CobraJim »

Just wanted to say thanks to John for the course design. We have some of the best courses around and anyone who doesn't think so just needs to run a few other clubs courses. Yesterday's sure wasn't a cobra course but I think a challenging run is good to hone some driving skillz
Jim Simmons
6 xp, em, stm
Novice Chair
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

At the end of the day, we all have good days and days we drive like crap.. I can remember events last year where mark bested second place by over at full second... was that course related too?? Did anybody call foul?? No. I chalked my short comings up to my shitty driving.
The course Sunday, was fine ..it took more than HP to win ..yes.
Next pillisippi event.. JY and mark can do, and I'll show up and drive. .. as hard as I can.
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

John Brown wrote:
MARKP wrote:Great job on the first event as chair, Jim. Thanks again to Jeff for letting me drive the Mustang. As James mentioned, I thought the car handled great.

I didn't see the top section of the course until it was ready for walking. I will say that it was not as described
to me in a conversation at the bottom of the hill when I was helping with setup. I had no issue with the bottom section of the course.
This is true.. I actually said it's the same corner to corner drag strips we have every time here...

...then, I changed it.
I guess the corner to corner drag races are OK?
Lol
Nope, and I never said they were. You also said we needed to slow things down at the bottom to offset the fast top section. I had no problem with that. All of the offsets and slaloms were tighter than the last event.

You know that I rarely complain about your courses. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think I only complained about something being too tight one other course you have set up since I have been driving the Mustang.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

I drove as hard as I can and I always do and loose way more than I win and have fun in doing so, but Sunday wasn't fun and not cause we lost but as many times as everyone has said it was a mustang course that John set up I or mark won a couple and lost several but we were in the hunt even when we lost by pax but this time a sts car out rawed us at Pelli where everyone calls it a power car lot.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Mark, JY said the saloms were fair.
I can't put my finger on the so called "tight " stuff at the top ..
James was flying! In the same car you guys drove..... :-/
You guys can show us what a fair course is next time... and I'll give it all I have to win .. just like I do every time..
I'm ready! lol!
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

jcox07 wrote:this time a sts car out rawed us
I guess this is what I keep going back to. Faster than you and Pilson on this day, but not Cathers in the same car. Some days just kinda suck sometimes.

Like I said yesterday, I think the perceived tightness of the course got in your heads....it started to get in mine when I walked with Mark. And I was griping about it too. But after my first run, I was just thinking how much faster it was than it walked.

And another data point....you only got John by 3 tenths at Dixie on Sunday. Yeah, different conditions. But also, STX ran right after you guys, and the winning STX car got you by almost a second on Sunday. No disrespect intended, so please don't take it that way, just trying to point out that I don't think yesterdays course was unfair.

It was a little funny lookin', but I wouldn't call it unfair.

John is going to be fast on those bridgestones, and I think we're all just going to have to accept that.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree on the course yesterday... I don't want to fill the forum with griping.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Heck, I ain't gripping.. I want the closest battles possible..
Like Cathers and I had wud be great all year!
It's came down to the last two events last year.. hey, let's face it... we have a fierce pro class due to one reason... ETR takes that trophy seriously... not many tread on these grounds and take points from the locals.. I'm glad to be part of it!!
90civichb

Post by 90civichb »

I think this is a pretty awesome view into people that take this sport seriously. Even when there isn't much money, if any, people still make it super competitive. It becomes a point of pride it seems. Very interesting sport in these regards.
Check out some of the build.
https://www.youtube.com/user/90civichb
Cody Yankey
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Cody...you have no idea.
It's a vice that only winning can satisfy... lol!
eunos735

Post by eunos735 »

I've never been to a course there that I considered a "Power Course"

Great example is ETR #1 vs Dixie. Mark beat me by a couple tenths at ETR #1 in Raw time. On day two at Dixie I beat him buy almost a second...and that was standing on a cone so it was more like 3. I'm sure most people would consider my car one that like "horsepower courses."
SSM 96/196