Event #2 in the Books

Discussions related to Solo
thrdeye

Re: Event #2 in the Books

Post by thrdeye »

Meh, again. Cathers got it done in a big wide horsepower car.

There may have been a couple of turns on the course that were DIFFICULT (or not ideal) for a bigger car (it was difficult in my RX8), but UNFAIR...no. And on a more general scale....the tight parts at the top were well offset by the openness of the bottom.

I'll have a vid up tonight. I was dog slow in that turn before the downhill (and pushed badly on my fastest run) so definitely no momentum. I don't know my top speed in the chute, but probably 61-62 judging by the engine pitch.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

WOW 61-62 in a car with no torque and no hp by your own admission and only 2 mph slower than my car and you still think that equals every thing out, pax equals every thing out, not raw time that is what I thought they used pax for. Guess I was wrong. It is like saying that my car could outrun a top fuel drag car on any giving day if I drove it well and they drove poorly in a straight line.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
72RatCamaro

Post by 72RatCamaro »

It looked to me the "big" cars negotiated the course pretty well. Red Audi and Black Impala didn't appear to have any real problems. I thought it was a good, challenging course. Tight elements but the brave downhill made me pucker. Judging by clench factor I was around 65mph down that straight. First run hit limiter in second (58mph) at the cross over.
Andrew Hodge
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

Wow!...just took note this one thread is only 7 posts away from the "Smack Talk 2015" thread at 101 posts. Smack...Trash :fight: "Why can't we all just get along" :rockon: ....NOT...got to say we do have the most active forum in Tennessee...Just one more thing someone (don't remember who?) said ...Due to the competition being so high at ETR makes you a better driver when you go to other events.....I AGREE well said. Next summer I'm dumping the Camaro for my 70th birthday for a smaller rocketship to play with.
Last edited by Gen52SS on Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

jcox07 wrote:WOW 61-62 in a car with no torque and no hp by your own admission and only 2 mph slower than my car and you still think that equals every thing out, pax equals every thing out, not raw time that is what I thought they used pax for. Guess I was wrong. It is like saying that my car could outrun a top fuel drag car on any giving day if I drove it well and they drove poorly in a straight line.
Haha. No....and again, no offense.....I'm saying that Cathers somehow equaled everything out just fine somewhere on that course in your car. Maybe it wasn't in the chute. But he did it somewhere.

PAX is PAX. I'm sure it's not accurate for our PSCC events and is probably debatable how accurate it is anywhere else. It'll never be completely accurate for a specific event or a specific site, but it's all we've got to use as a comparison.

....and it all shakes out over the course of a season.

Also, I clearly remember an uphill course at PSCC last year where the entrance to the uphill chute was so pinched that I had to downshift to first. If I were looking at things from that perspective, then that's unfair to me, because I bet no one else had to perform a heel/toe downshift at speed to get up the chute quickly. I dropped almost a full second when I got it right. It totally sucked, but it is what it is.
Chris Harp
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

There was a fast line thru the downhill turn.. one line. If you hit it your exit was fast ..if you missed it.. you sucked.
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

John Brown wrote:There was a fast line thru the downhill turn.. one line. If you hit it your exit was fast ..if you missed it.. you sucked.
Exactly how it was for me if I hit it... I knew the run would be good.
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

And if you got sideways... then pray... pray to whatever gods you need to...Lol
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
steverife

Post by steverife »

I spun my 3rd there. Got greedy and tried to get back on the gas before the car was settled from breaking. That sucked.

I probably would have ran like a 54 on that run, too. It felt really good up to that point! :D
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
integra55

Post by integra55 »

jcox07 wrote:Steve, I get what you are saying but I have never seen anyone at pelli be flat footed through the entire slalom or off set maybe the last 2 but I know from data that pilson and I have never even been close to flat footed at pelli except up the hill or down the hill for just a brief time and this past course going down the hill I hit 64 and pilson hit 63 as far as highest speed we recorded where in the past in the chute I have hit mid 70's regularly and 76 as a high, so all the talk about power courses some times they are and sometimes you all think they are when they truly are not.
could be that I just don't know what I'm talking about, but to me a power course definition would have more to do with the need to slow dramatically, and then use huge power to dig out of the corner … top speed type of course wouldn't necessarily denote a power course …

our little, no torque monsters, don't do the hard acceleration out of a corner very well
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
integra55

Post by integra55 »

steverife wrote:
jcox07 wrote:Steve, I get what you are saying but I have never seen anyone at pelli be flat footed through the entire slalom or off set maybe the last 2 but I know from data that pilson and I have never even been close to flat footed at pelli except up the hill or down the hill for just a brief time and this past course going down the hill I hit 64 and pilson hit 63 as far as highest speed we recorded where in the past in the chute I have hit mid 70's regularly and 76 as a high, so all the talk about power courses some times they are and sometimes you all think they are when they truly are not.
Over the years, I'd say that John has been flat more often that not.

Driving the CRX, I really can only recall a handful of events where we had what I felt like was a real slalom. So I was rarely able to maximize the only real advantage that car had.
after watching some of my videos, JB has commented … "why you lifting in the slaloms ?"
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Chris, I know James can beat me in my own car, do you think he can beat you in your car?
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2010 GT500
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

That's a silly question. He'd break anyone's heart that he codrives with
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Yes I agree but you said he was able to do it my car and I guess by your statement I was suppose to do the same yet you admit he is better so still don't get that I am suppose to be able to do it and you maybe not and If I remember correctly when Pilson beat all of us by a lot almost every one was whinning about that cause that thread is still on here, works both ways. Like I said I loose alot but have only felt that I didn't have a chance in my car only 3 or 4 times due to type of course and I don't want any thing that favors my car that is why when we go up hill and go through the islands we should break it off there so the run won't be favorable to power cars.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2010 GT500
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

jcox07 wrote:Yes I agree but you said he was able to do it my car and I guess by your statement I was suppose to do the same yet you admit he is better so still don't get that I am suppose to be able to do it and you maybe not
Confused.

He would (very likely) be able to get more out of my car than I can. Which is exactly what he did with yours. How it's the course's fault that he was able to do that, I have no idea.

So yes, you should aspire to be as fast as Cathers, as should we all.
Chris Harp