can we please set up the charity 2days where people can do 1?

Discussions related to Solo
SeanDrives4Fun

can we please set up the charity 2days where people can do 1?

Post by SeanDrives4Fun »

Many people come to these event and nothing else and many only do one day. At Bristol lots of my friends dont wanna pull family time and money for hotel and meals for 2 day but love the event as a one day. If you see my poinst, please show your support! -sean

Most dont even care if 1 day points dont count or if a 1 day fee is a tad higher than half the two day amount. it is for charity. :-)
Rally Boss
John Brown

Re: can we please set up the charity 2days where people can do 1?

Post by John Brown »

I drive up both days. no motel. gas is much cheaper than that.
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
steverife

Post by steverife »

I can't fix the time issue, but no rule that you have to eat out and people could probably leave a car on site and carpool back/up to save a few bucks... or pile into a hotel room.

One could also just run a single day. You pay a few more bucks, but as you said, it goes to charity.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
integra55

Post by integra55 »

John Brown wrote:I drive up both days. no motel. gas is much cheaper than that.
if I could be there, that's what I'd be doing … shoot I do that for the 2 day events in Knoxville … that's 5 hrs of driving each day :lol:
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Here's the problem.

If you do the event as two one-days, you really screw up someone's points that can't make the weekend.

We tried to do Chilhowee with a one-day option a few years ago and it was a MASSIVE lot of work. I can explain more about this at the meeting tomorrow.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
eunos735

Post by eunos735 »

I don't see the issue.

If it's a 2 day event and you only want to go to one day...then that is your choice.

If you buy a ticket for a football game and leave at half time, they don't give you half your money back.
SSM 96/196
msweeney29

Post by msweeney29 »

I'm with you Sean.

Sometimes I can't commit the entire weekend to a 2-day autocross event. I understand that I don't win points for only competing in half of the event. But paying the full registration fee for one day just doesn't feel worth it to me, on a strictly $ / run basis.

Maybe this is just a cheap-a$$ Miata guy's problem... but I know at least two other people who can't commit to 2-day events and just skip them completely.
Micah Sweeney
'99 Miata 10AE
ES 29
Buck05Sti

Post by Buck05Sti »

Im kinda in line with JB and Eric on this one. If you cant run both days, AND dont care about points, whats the issue? As was stated, it's for charity. If money is an issue, drive up both days, pack a lunch, profit? If people were more concerned about points, but couldnt make both days, i could see a little more weight for the argument, but again, it's laid out from the get-go. honestly, the two day events are cheaper (per day) than a normal event (in most cases.) :|
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20

2004 Z06 Commemorative Edition (gold chain not included)
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Here's what you ALL need to know as well. If we ran a regular (non-charity) one-day ETR event up there, event fees would be MORE than $60 so that we could cover lot costs.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
timray

Post by timray »

Sean,
Since you are self employed, simply write off this event as a charitable donation. It's perfectly legal to do on your taxes.
Attend the day you wanna run and write off the amount that go's to charity.
Regards,
Tim
integra55

Post by integra55 »

msweeney29 wrote:I'm with you Sean.

Sometimes I can't commit the entire weekend to a 2-day autocross event. I understand that I don't win points for only competing in half of the event. But paying the full registration fee for one day just doesn't feel worth it to me, on a strictly $ / run basis.

Maybe this is just a cheap-a$$ Miata guy's problem... but I know at least two other people who can't commit to 2-day events and just skip them completely.
it's good for you that you run with ETR :D … if you were running with CCR, you'd get tired in a hurry of paying nearly double ETR price for each of their one day events ($45)
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
flier129

Post by flier129 »

The event fee is the event fee, if you can only make one day, then that sucks for you.

$60 is an insanely good deal for a two day event, it's even reasonable has a single-day charity event at an expensive lot like Bristol. As Walter said, we're lucky with the extremely inexpensive entry fees ETR has. Don't hurt the hand that feeds you.
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

CCR just had to cancel a blacklake event due to cost of lot vs how many entries they had signed up for the event. If the lot cost more than you will recover in entry fees and insurance, then it is not in the clubs best interest to go in the hole on the event unless they can cover the loss at later dates. This is why it is 60.00 for both days or one day.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
CaptJordi

Post by CaptJordi »

Also if you dont want to pay for a hotel room, there are camp grounds near the track that are year round. Heck, Shadrack is right next to the track AND a brewery and has free wifi and electric hookups for $20 for a tent site.

- Jordi Dunn
Pointer Cone Photography
http://www.pointercone.com
msweeney29

Post by msweeney29 »

Yeah, I'm a newbie and haven't run with any other club yet. Guess I've been a little spoiled by the low fees we enjoy with ETR.

So on expensive lots, we do charity events (to get a discount?) and make 'em 2-days to get a reasonable number of runs for the money?
Micah Sweeney
'99 Miata 10AE
ES 29